[net.micro.mac] Quieting Mac fans. Fanny Mac speed control idea / other fan query.

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/29/86)

In article <2629@decwrl.DEC.COM> eirikur@dec-amber.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone have experience with the internal fans?  I'd be
>interested in trying one of the internal flipper-type fans, but I
>haven't seen them offered for sale, and haven't heard a report from a
>user.  I'd like to know how noisy they are, and if they really keep
>the Mac cool. Please post!

My Levco MonsterMac comes with their 'MacBreeze' piezo-electric 'flapper'
fan.  I think it is the best solution I've seen yet--it is virtually
noiseless.  There is a *minor* hum, but barely noticeable.  My experience
agrees with their claim: my 2Meg Mac is cooler on top than my old 512K.

Levco sells the MacBreeze; I think the price is $35 or so.  Call (619) 457-2011
to find out for sure or order one.  It installs on the connections to the power
supply; there are about 3 wires to connect.  Very easy...

-Chris

Disclaimer: I think I have disclaimed most everything already.  I can't speak
		for my rabbit, however.  He's often rash...
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

steves@kepler.UUCP (Steve Schlich) (04/30/86)

.

Our company Mac got an internal flipper-type fan with its Levco Monster Mac
upgrade last September.  The fan is SUPER quiet--you can hardly tell it is
running at all--but my hand doesn't notice much cooling effect when I place
it on top of the Mac.  The fans can be had by themselves for about $75
(installed, from CJ systems in Berkeley, CA) and many people swear by them.
--
You've got to start young if you're going to stick it out.
                                   --Firesign Theater

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (04/30/86)

I used a 4" electronics fan ($4 on the remainder table) and found it too
loud.  I then grabbed a ceiling fan speed control at the hardware store,
put it in an outlet box, and slowed it down to a few hundred RPM's.

All off-the-shelf hardware.  The fan control came with wiring instructions.

But it still hums....
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037