[net.micro.mac] HFS with Paradise 10/20 Meg hard drives??

espen@well.UUCP (04/27/86)

	Is anyone in net-land running the new HFS system on their Mac's
with the Paradise 10/20 Meg hard drives, and if so could you tell me
what was necessary to do this? Did it require a software upgrade from
Paradise, what version of Paradise software are you using etc....
	Peter Espen

leeke@cascade.UUCP (04/28/86)

I am running HFS on a Paradise Mac 10 with the following:

	1) 512k Mac
	2) Old 64k ROM's
	3) Finder 5.2
	4) System 3.1.1
	5) HD 20 (Forgot to check the version...)
	6) Start Paradise 2.1
	7) Paradise Manager 2.3D
	8) Paradise Mounter 2.0

HFS was trivial to get running on the Mac 10.  In fact, so easy that I
was running it before I knew it.  Essentially, the following is what I did:

Get finder 5.x and system 3.x and the HD 20 file and put them on your working
copy of the Paradise boot disk along with the start paradise and paradise
manager programs.  The hardest one of the above to find is HD 20.  This file
is what is used to start HFS from a floppy (for HD 20 drive owners w/o the
benefit of the new ROM's).  The place to get the HD 20 is from an HD 20
owner.  When you boot with this configuration (and start paradise as the
start-up application) you will see a message just below "Welcome to Macintosh",
and that is, "HD 20 Startup".  This tells you that HFS is being loaded into
RAM.

Once you have the desktop you will have to run the Paradise Manager to delete
any MFS (old, flat filing system) volumes and create a new HFS one.  I suppose
that you can actually mix and match HFS and MFS volumes on the Mac 10/20,
but I chose to have everthing on the disk available except for a 400k (default)
print spooling area.  That is, I set the volume size to the max and created
one called "HD 10".  The volume is AUTOMATICALLY formatted as HFS volume when
HFS is active.  Next, copy the Finder 5.x, System 3.x, and additional stuff
to the HFS volume and the next time you boot from the Paradise boot disk
it should hand over the control to the Mac 10/20's system and you should have
a nice HFS box running.

One note: you can NOT modify the Mac 10/20's system w/ INIT's, etc. and
expect to have them take effect, since the boot system is on the Paradise
boot disk, hence, make any INIT resource changes to the boot system on the
floopy.  Also, using Set Startup on the Mac 10/20 will have no effect normally
since, again, the Mac 10/20's is NOT the boot system.  You can, it seems,
get the Set Startup application to work by holding CMD-Option down while the
Mac 10/20 is being mounted.  This will run whatever the application is that
was set to be the startup application on the Mac 10/20 and THEN ask you if
you want to rebuild the desktop.

Steve Leeke

P.S. The HFS in ram can sometimes cause a problem with DUMB programs.  In
this case that means those that use the following equation: x <> 128 =>
x = 512!  Dollars & Sense will not run (YES it is HFS compatible, old v1.2
even, just put the master in the internal drive BEFORE dbl-clicking on the
D&S icon on the hard disk) unless I run the Paradise ram cache at 192k to
make it think it is on a thin mac.  Then again, some programs (FEW) don't
like the ram cache.  e.g. Don't run the cache w/ switcher on a 512k since
that will leave you with little memory.

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/30/86)

In article <88@cascade.ARPA> leeke@su-cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
[...on installing HFS on a Paradise...]
>One note: you can NOT modify the Mac 10/20's system w/ INIT's, etc. and
>expect to have them take effect, since the boot system is on the Paradise
>boot disk, hence, make any INIT resource changes to the boot system on the
>floopy.  Also, using Set Startup on the Mac 10/20 will have no effect normally
>since, again, the Mac 10/20's is NOT the boot system.  You can, it seems,
>get the Set Startup application to work by holding CMD-Option down while the
>Mac 10/20 is being mounted.  This will run whatever the application is that
>was set to be the startup application on the Mac 10/20 and THEN ask you if
>you want to rebuild the desktop.

I found this bit about INITs particularly interesting because one of the
things I was most impressed with when I first got my HD20 and was booting off
the HD20 Startup (sigh, 64K ROMs...) was that it did indeed execute the INITs
from the System on the hard disk.  I appreciated this 'extra touch.'  It also
handled 'Set Startup' with no problems.  Cmd-Opt to rebuild the desktop had to
have the HD20 floppy as the startup volume, though.  Otherwise, la bomba!

Any ideas why the Paradise is so different?  [or amazement that it is so close?]

-Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton