[net.micro.mac] 20MB Hard-Disk for a 512?

krs@amdahl.UUCP (Kris Stephens) (04/30/86)

I'm getting pretty confused about hard-disks with the Mac 512.  I've
looked at Paradise and seen ads for Warp-9 and MacBottom (all are
within the cost I can afford).  The main software I use won't run
on the Mac+ yet, so I can't make the jump to SCSI, even if I could
afford it.  (I'm definitely planning on installing 1Mb already).

The 20MB Warp-9 is the most intriguing because it mounts inside the Mac
and is user-installable ("Our techs have installed 'em in 9 minutes") and
they say it's compatible with both the 512 and the Plus.  Is it?  Is it
reliable?  Is it significantly faster than the Paradise (or other printer
port HDs)?  Are there heat problems?

I'd sure appreciate EMail with suggestions and war-stories.  I've pretty
much got to hold the price under $1K for a hard-disk and I'd like to
maximize the effect of spending that.

Thanks in advance,
...Kris
--
Kris Stephens     (408-746-6047)                 {whatever}!amdahl!krs
     [The opinions expressed above are mine, solely, and do not    ]

leeke@cascade.UUCP (05/01/86)

I have a Paradise Mac 10 and am very pleased with it.  No, it is not as
fast as SCSI, but I spend (as I think most people do) more time inside
my applications than waiting for them to launch and close.  It comes
with a Ram cache that works with all the software I have (all the Apple
stuff, Multiplan, File, Dollars & Sense...), and Paradise uses 3.5"
Rodime drives - good stuff.  When I checked mine there were 0 bad sectors.

The print spooler works well for long things, but can slow short prints down.

I got mine from Mac Connection with no problems - and for $549.

Steve

ching@amd.UUCP (Mike Ching) (05/01/86)

In article <> krs@amdahl.UUCP (Kris Stephens) writes:
>I'm getting pretty confused about hard-disks with the Mac 512.  I've
>looked at Paradise and seen ads for Warp-9 and MacBottom (all are
>within the cost I can afford).  The main software I use won't run
>on the Mac+ yet, so I can't make the jump to SCSI, even if I could
>afford it.  (I'm definitely planning on installing 1Mb already).

I've seen an ad for ProAPP who is selling mail order direct...$800
for 10MB and $1K for 20MB.  SCSI interface for Mac+, floppy
interface for 512K Mac or Apple II and serial interface for printer
spooling, all in the same box.  (800) 424-2425.

Disclaimer: I don't know how good this drive is.