[net.micro.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #17

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (05/01/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 1 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 17

Today's Topics:
     RE: MS Word HELP!!!! (Re: Msg 7595)
     RE: MS Word HELP!!!! (Re: Msg 7595)
     RE: MS Word HELP!!!! (Re: Msg 7636)
     Mac disk catalogs
     800k flat disks !
     Re: Application not found
     = on the keypad
     Re: Software rentals
     South American Macs
     Re: RmveResource
     Re: RmveResource
     application not found for document msg (Re: Msg 7639)
     RE: application not found for document m (Re: Msg 7660)
     Mac Plus upgrades
     RE: Mac Plus upgrades (Re: Msg 7663)
     RE: Mac Plus upgrades (Re: Msg 7663)
     RE: Mac Plus upgrades (Re: Msg 7671)
     Power Tips for Power Users

From: DSACHS (7598)
Subject: RE: MS Word HELP!!!! (Re: Msg 7595)
Date: 27-APR 01:34 Business Mac

Check your division layout to make sure that your running head is properly
positioned.  There is a bug with footers in that the position is measured from
the top, but reported from the bottom.  If you change paper size, you have to
reposition your footers.
Running heads do NOT use the left and right margins from "Page Setup".  Use a
ruler to position text properly relative to the EDGES of the paper.  Tell me if
this helps.

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (7635)
Date: 28-APR 07:37 Business Mac

        Take a look at Doug Clapp's MacUser article, which goes over the
strange things about running heads. Briefly, (1) on running head text, the
0 mark on the ruler is the page edge, not the LH margin. This is why the
jump when you select it. Be certain the "top margin" (page setup screen)
is GREATER than the "Start running head at" figure (Division Layout) for
running heads at the top, and SMALLER than the figure for running heads at
the bottom.
        Running heads should be read by the processor BEFORE the page they
are to print on. If you have just one, put it at the start of the whole
document.
        Kludge, to get used to things: Set (page setup) Top Margin at, say,
3.5", bottom margin 3.5", and set a Top and Bottom running head, marked
First Page. Put one or two lines of text in the document. That should print
the heads & will let you see where they are.
                - Lofty

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (7638)
Subject: RE: MS Word HELP!!!! (Re: Msg 7636)
Date: 28-APR 11:08 Business Mac

I believe that if the measurements are set so that the running head would print
in the same area that the body of the text prints in, then the running head is
just thrown away with no error message or other indication of what's wrong.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (7614)
Subject: Mac disk catalogs
Date: 27-APR 15:07 Telecommunicating

To A Kacker, akk2@ur-tut.UUCP

There is also a new disk catalog program coming out in the next few weeks
called MacCat (or CatMac, something like that). The company is sending
out cards to Mac User Groups saying the basic program will be free, openly
distributed, but that various additional levels (four in all) will be available
as upgrades.  From the information they have supplied, the add-on bells and
whistles will do all you are asking, so you might wait and see what prices they
come up with.  Initially, they are sending free disks with the basic program
to user groups, supposedly in the next couple of weeks.

Alf
Delphi

------------------------------

From: RAYSANDERS (7609)
Subject: 800k flat disks !
Date: 27-APR 12:45 Mousing Around

Well, with all the great software that does such wonderful things with HFS
floppies, I could just S*%t. BUT, I may have stumbled on the best of both
worlds. I found a way to initialize a non-HFS 800k floppy. Just boot your
machine with internal 800k and new rom's with the old 4.1/2.0 finder/system.
Thwn choose "erase disk". You don't get the choice of double or single, but you
will get an 800k non-HFS floppy. WOrks great too.

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (7639)
Subject: Re: Application not found
Date: 28-APR 13:39 MUGS Online

found for a document, I think that he's experiencing bugs in Finder
5.0 or 5.1, and not anything specific to the Mac
Plus/MacTerminal/Mac512K.  We had the same problem under the older 5.x
Finders and have not had the problem since switching to 5.2.

The quick solution to the problem is to recopy the application to disk from a
backup, resetting fields in the DeskTop file thereby.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: GBL (7628)
Subject: = on the keypad
Date: 28-APR 00:17 Programming

I've discovered that the character code generated by = on the Mac Plus keypad is the same as the code generated by , on the main keyboard. The key codes are
different, however. Does anyone know why the character codes were designed to be the same?

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (7654)
Subject: Re: Software rentals
Date: 29-APR 20:31 MUGS Online

Curious over Usenet questions concerning software rental, I tried calling the
three companies actively advertising in Mac magazines.  I was not successful
in reaching MacStore(tm) in New Braunfels, TX, but found owners at both Houston
area rental firms quite willing to discuss the issue of legality and other
items (MacRentals[tm] & Software Library[tm]).

As in most things, there isn't a black&white statement either could make to the
legality of software rental.  The firms are clearly not knowingly breaking any
laws, but areas of the issue are very unclear.  From my own reading, I found
firms renting videotapes are attempting to use the "first sale" restrictions
on copyright enforcement (to the package only, not involving copyrights on the
actual program or such) to allow rentals.  One of the two firms agreed they
are relying on the same protection, but added that a lawyer who works for the
firm maintains a constant watch over copyright protection law so they will not
be in danger of violating such.  Both firms report they include sharp warnings
against piracy with all rental copies.
I was surprised to learn that the primary users of these firms are larger firms
who may rent three or four databases at once to compare, before deciding on
a single package to buy for use in the company.  Accounting software is very
popular for rental, usually in the same comparison capacity.  The rental shops
maintain cordial relations with many publishers, but both report the largest
objections come from the small companies with only one or two programs in the
market.

A question was raised on Usenet as to why the three companies are all located
in Texas, and raised the possibility that perhaps a state law made the rental
firms locate here.  Actually, that Texas is the location for all three stems
from more mundane chance.  The first firm to advertise rentals (MacStore[tm])
spurred the idea among two business partners, who opened a second operation.
Later, differences in policy caused a split among the partners, each with
their own business at present.

To answer questions regarding "honesty" about using the rental firms, I suppose
one has to decide for him/herself. The people I talked to seemed sincere about
providing a service to users (they all attempt to support the renter's various
questions regarding the software, and appeared to be quite knowledgable with
many packages). Rather than dens of pirates, they state they are trying to fill
a position between the "list price, but you can try it out here" retail shops
and the "buy it cheap, but it's yours forever" mail order places.  If you know
for sure you need program X, you can get a better price by buying at any of
several mail-order houses.  If undecided, rental may be a good idea, at least
for expensive and complicated packages.

Usenet Disclaimer: I don't know any of these folks, and have never rented a
software title.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (7642)
Subject: South American Macs
Date: 28-APR 21:27 Creative Pursuits

I received a letter today from a Dr. Maximo Pahlke in Argentina.  He is asking
for recommendations on a memory upgrade to 2 meg or more to run with a Mac+.
If you have experience with any of these (I don't), please note your own
recommendation and any information regarding best prices, etc., and I will pass
them along to Max.
Also, Max is offering to share programs they have written to handle their
preoperative indications for patients and hospital, accounting programs in
BASIC, and an AI program written in C if any here are interested (note: as you
might expect, the programs are all written with Spanish interface).  I you
would like copies of these, I will ask Max to send them along.
Alf

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (7662)
Subject: Re: RmveResource
Date: 30-APR 03:31 MUGS Online

To: Duane.Williams@k.cs.cmu.edu
In your code

>    for (i = 1; i <= CountResources(theType); i++) {
>      resHandle = GetIndResource(theType, i);
>      if (HomeResFile(resHandle) == resRefNum) {
>        RmveResource(resHandle);
>      }
>    }

there is a problem in that the loop termination condition, the result of
CountResources, is dynamically changed by RmveResource but no adjustment is made for this.  You can see this by assuming two resources (assume both satisfy
HomeResFile test).  After the first time through the loop, CountResources
returns 1 and i==2, so the loop is terminated with only one resource removed.

Assuming the general case, i.e., resRefNum is not necessarily that of the
current resource file, I would do something like this:

     remaining = CountResources(theType);
     for(i = 1; i <= remaining; )
        if (HomeResFile(resHandle=GetIndResource(theType,i)) == resRefNum) {
           RmveResource(resHandle);
           --remaining; }
        else
           ++i;

For extra speed, set a flag when you remove one, and in the else clause test the flag; if set, break.  I.e., break on a resource not in HomeResFile after having previously found one or more in HomeResFile.  All the HomeResFile resources will be returned in consecutive calls to GetIndResource.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (7667)
Date: 30-APR 18:01 MUGS Online

Yes, but you are looping from 1 to the number of resources.  Won't the first
RmveResource() cause the numbering to be disturbed?  I would loop from the high
number *down* to 1.

Also, it's a bad idea not to check for errors when frobbing resources.  If you
put some calls to ResError() in there, you probably would know why it doesn't
work!

peter

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (7660)
Subject: application not found for document msg (Re: Msg 7639)
Date: 30-APR 00:10 MUGS Online

The application not found message is a "feature" (read that as bug)
that exists in Finder 5.2.  I ran into it while doing the application
and document launching portion of HFS Locater Plus.

It's a result of the FInder trying to launch the first application
match in the Desktop for the document.  If the application isn't
there, you get the "not found" message.  The problem can be recreated
by placing a copy of an application in another folder on the same disk
(this, of course assumes HFS), All subsequent launches from the finder
will use this copy.  If you remove it, you will now get the "not
found" message even though the original application is still there and
untouched.  The only way to get the old one back is to move it to
another folder and back (to force the Desktop to be modified).  Marsh
Gosnell

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (7666)
Subject: RE: application not found for document m (Re: Msg 7660)
Date: 30-APR 14:28 MUGS Online

When we ran into that problem under 5.0 and 5.1 Finders, HFS was not involved
(didn't have the new ROMs or RAM-based HFS). Have you seen any variations of
this problem which involve incompatibilities between Finders and DeskTop files?

Ric

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (7663)
Subject: Mac Plus upgrades
Date: 30-APR 13:26 Hardware & Peripherals

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I am hearing from a number of
sources that Mac Plus upgrades to Mac 512's are causing some power supply
failures... something to consider before paying $599.  Upgrades to new ROMs and
800K disks should cause no problem however.

Ric Ford

"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: SGARFIELD (7668)
Subject: RE: Mac Plus upgrades (Re: Msg 7663)
Date: 30-APR 19:26 Hardware & Peripherals

I heard that the power supply in the PLUS is Bigger (better) than the
one in the 512. So, if the + requires more power and the 512 is
upgraded to a +, doesn't it follow that it too should need more power.

If someone could check the power ona plus and compare it to a 512 I'd be
interested.

------------------------------

From: HALL (7670)
Date: 30-APR 20:01 Hardware & Peripherals

Since I upgraded to the Mac Plus, I've had a power supply failure.  I asked the
tech what percentage of all Mac repairs were power supplies, and he said 95%.
This was the first Mac Plus he'd had in, out of at least 50 sold by that shop.
I've heard a rumor, from two different sources, that there may be a new power
supply in the works.  If you've got any brains though, buy an Applecare policy.
It's cheaper than buying a new power supply every three months.  (This is my
second replacement;  I got the Mac in November, the first supply went out in
December.  The second went out about a month ago.   Both were replaced under
warranty.)

Brian

------------------------------

From: RICFORD (7677)
Subject: RE: Mac Plus upgrades (Re: Msg 7671)
Date: 30-APR 21:35 Hardware & Peripherals

On the (CompuServe) conference, Gassee said that they'd upgraded 3
components in the Mac Plus power supply - the most troublesome ones.
You don't get a new power supply with the Mac Plus upgrade, I don't
believe, as that's on the analog side, not part of the digital board.
The extra memory of the Plus does take more power (at least until the
1Mbit chips are out), and while some compensation was made in some
other chips, I think the net power drain is higher.  My theory is that
this is the main reason that the 5 Volt pin was disconnected from the
serial ports.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: JEFFS (0000)
Subject: Power Tips for Power Users
Date: 28-APR 19:15 Macintosh In Fact

[ Here is the "Power Tips For Power Users" doc from Apple's March supplement ]

Power User Shortcut Summary (Draft)               By Dan Allen                        3 Feb 86	Page
Power User Shortcut Summary

The Macintosh User Interface has been designed for ease of use by a wide range of users with many different levels of experience.  In order to maintain your files most operations in the Finder are performed via menu items as well as selecting, clicking, and dragging with the mouse.  For power users there are many built in shortcuts and additions which provide further user customization of how Macintosh deals with your files.  The following keyboard and mouse shortcuts are for the following items collective
ly:  System 3.0, Finder 5.1, Font/DA Mover 3.0.  The various features are gathered below by topic.

DOES IT HAVE NEW ROMS?

New ROMs
You can determine if the machine that you are working on has new 128KB Macintosh Plus type ROMs by the following two methods.  First, when booting Macintosh a keen eye can distinguish between the older shadowed alert box that says "Welcome to Macintosh" and the newer symmetrical alert box.  Secondly, if you select the "About the FinderI" option while in Finder 5.1, the memory size is displayed in the lower left corner.  If the memory size is followed by a period, then that Macintosh has the new 128KB ROMs.
  If there is no period, it has the original 64KB ROMs.

Upper Left Corner Of Disk Window [Finder]
If you want to see if a particular disk is a HFS volume, open the disk's window in the Finder.  Select an Icon view.  If there is one pixel filled in at the upper left corner between the two lines near the top of this window then it is a HFS disk, otherwise it is an MFS disk.

BOOTING & MOUNTING

Mounting Order [Macintosh Plus]
The order of mounting volumes on a Macintosh Plus is: internal floppy drive, external floppy drive (regardless of whether it is plugged into an HD 20), HD 20 (if present), daisy chained HD 20 (if present), SCSI device 0, SCSI device 1, ... SCSI device 7.

Mouse Down At Boot [Hard Disk 20 when booted from floppy only]
As always, if you hold the mouse down when Macintosh is first starting up, the internal diskette is ejected.  However, if you let Macintosh start normally and then hold the mouse button down when you see the "Welcome to Macintosh" box, the Startup disk will stay inserted in the drive and remain the current System and Finder that are in control rather than switch launching to the Hard Disk.  This is often useful in troubleshooting the Hard Disk when the System or Finder on the Hard Disk is damaged or corrup
ted.  If booting from the new 128KB ROMs, this feature is not present. Instead just boot from a floppy.

Mouse Down At Boot [MacsBug 5.0]
If you hold the mouse down during boot when you see the "Welcome to Macintosh" box and you are using the new MacsBug 5.0, the debugger will not  be loaded.  On a Macintosh Plus you still would have the built-in debugger to use in this situation.

Command Option Mount [Finder]
If these two keys are held down while a disk is being mounted (while booting up or right after a disk is inserted), the Finder will ask you if you want to rebuild its invisible Desktop file. Incidentally, this is also what the Finder does whenever it displays the dialog telling you that a disk needs minor repairs.  This is often useful in troubleshooting. (The main side effect here is that your GetInfo comments are erased.  In addition, on MFS volumes your folders are renamed to untitled 1,2,3I)

Command Option Tab Mount [Finder]
If these three keys are held down while a disk is being mounted (while booting up or right after a disk is inserted), the Finder will ask you if you want to initialize the disk.  If you cancel this operation then it will "fall into" the dialog for rebuilding the DeskTop file.  This is a last ditch effort which is sometimes needed for recovering a truly munged hard disk.

LAUNCHING

Option Launch Application [Finder]
Holding down the option key while launching an application by double clicking on it transfers the active System and Finder to the disk that the application resides on (otherwise, if the System and Finder on a hard disk are active they will remain active).  This is needed when using any of the various Installer programs, for example.

Command Option Launch [Finder]
This has the same effect as above, but in addition it allows you to run any file, regardless of what kind of a file it is. (Caution:  this means you can run such files as the Clipboard File and the System which were never designed to be run in this fashion.  The result in these cases can be disastrous!)   As the Finder is normally not a launchable application, by using this command you may launch the Finder on another disk.  This is also useful in development when you want to launch a newly created applica
tion whose type has not yet been set to APPL.

WINDOWING

Command Drag Window [ROM - Window Manager]
By holding down the command key you can select and drag a window on the Desktop or in an application without having the window become active.  This allows you to move a window while keeping it behind the frontmost active window.

Option Mount [Finder]
If the option key is held down while a disk is being mounted, the Finder will not open any windows which (perhaps) would have been opened.  This is useful if you want to quickly return to the Finder and you forgot to use Option Open when you originally opened up many windows in the search of a file.

Option Open Window [Finder]
If the option key is held down while a window is opened, the Finder will not 'remember' that the window has been opened.  The net effect is that when you return to the Finder the next time after opening an application or document inside this window, the window will not open back up.

Option Close & Option Click Go-Away Box [Finder]
If the option key is held down while selecting the close option from the file menu, or if the go-away box is clicked on while holding the option key down, all of the windows on the desktop will be closed.  (To earlier Finder users, this is the Close All command).

ICON CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT

Option Clean Up [Finder]
By holding down the option key while selecting the Clean Up menu item (in the Special menu) all of the icons in the current window are automatically re-aligned from afresh to the grid.

Command Drag Icon [Finder]
By holding down the command key while dragging icons in a window, files are automatically aligned to the grid when released.

Option Drag to Trash [Finder]
Normally when you drag an application into the Trash the Finder will prompt you with "Are you sure you want to remove the applicationI?"  However, if you have a lot of applications that you want to trash quickly, holding the Option key down while selecting and dragging the files will suppress this dialog.  Doing this will also allow you to trash files which are locked.

QUITTING

Option Quit [Minifinder]
With the MiniFinder active and installed, holding down the option key while quitting an application will return you to the regular Finder rather than the MiniFinder.

Command Quit [MacPaint]
Holding down the command key when quitting MacPaint will reboot Macintosh.  We're talking a cold boot folks.  This is also true in QuickFile, another of Bill Atkinson's applications.

Enter [Minifinder]
Pressing the enter key while in the MiniFinder is equivilent to selecting the Finder button with the mouse:  It returns you to the Finder.  (It may also be thought of as the MiniFinder quit button)

Tab [Minifinder]
Pressing the tab key while in the MiniFinder is equivilent to selecting the Drive button with the mouse:  It toggles which disk is active.  By doing this you may specify which disk's Finder you wish to Quit to, as the MiniFinder will launch any Finder on any disk as long as a Finder exists on that disk.

PRINTING

Command Shift 3 [System - FKEY]
This will take a "screen shot" of the current screen and save it as a MacPaint file on your current System Disk.  It is named Screen0.  Additional screen shots are named Screen1 through Screen9.  This is the only way to print screen shots on a LaserWriter, namely, by saving a screen shot, entering MacPaint, and printing to the LaserWriter in MacPaint.  (Print draft is unsmoothed, Print final uses smoothing)

Command Shift 4 [System - FKEY]
This will print the active window to the ImageWriter (the LaserWriter is not supported).  If you are also pressing the mouse button, the action will start when you release the mouse button.

Command Shift 4 w/Caps Lock down [System - FKEY]
This will print the entire screen to the ImageWriter (the LaserWriter is not supported).  If you are also pressing the mouse button, the action will start when you release the mouse button.

Command F When Printing To LaserWriter [LaserWriter]
If you wish to create a Postscript file on your disk rather than printing it to the LaserWriter, select print from your application and when you get the standard LaserWriter box, immediately after saying okay press Command F, which creates a file named "Postscript" which is a TEXT file containing the actual ASCII code that would have been sent to LaserWriter.  You can then modify the code and resend it by using PSDump, a LaserWriter utility.

MISCELLANEOUS BIZARITIES

Option Launch [FDA Mover]
By holding down the option key while entering the Font/DA Mover you will select the Desk Accessory mode rather than the default Fonts mode.

Option Open [FDA Mover]
By holding down the option key while clicking on open in the FDA Mover, all of the files on the disk are displayed (not just font or DA files), allowing you to move fonts and desk accessories in and out of any files which have resource forks.

Option Close [FDA Mover]
By holding down the option key while closing a list of Fonts or DAs,  the disk upon which that file is located will be ejected.

Option Quit [FDA Mover]
By holding down the option key while selecting the Quit button all non-essential disks will be ejected, i.e., all disks other than the current system disk.

Tab in Std File [System - PACK 3]
Pressing the Tab key in Standard File dialogs (the Save & Open dialogs) is equivalent to pressing the Drive button.

Typing In Std File GetFile [System - PACK 3]
If you type a single letter when you are viewing a list of documents in an open dialog, the first file which begins with that letter (or the next file that follows) will be selected.  If you quickly type more of the filename then a file with that specific filename will be chosen.  (It actually works better than my description of it)

Cursor Keys In Std File [System - PACK 3]
The cursor keys on the new Macintosh Plus keyboard allow you to move up and down through the hierarchy when in a Std File dialog box.  The up and down arrow keys allow you to scroll to a file of your choice.  If you scroll to a folder, use CMD and the up arrow to move you closer towards the root directory.  Use of CMD down on a folder allows you to descend deeper into the disk, that is, to open that folder.

Option Name Newly Formatted Disk [System - PACK 2]
If you wish to make a 400K HFS volume, do the following:  Initialize a disk and name the disk in the proper disk init dialog.  By holding down the option key when terminating the naming dialog (via Return or Enter or clicking on the okay box) a 400K disk is made a HFS volume rather than an MFS volume.  Note: you must have had the chance to name the disk via the proper dialog box or else the disk will not be formatted as HFS.

Command Shift 1 & 2 [System - FKEY]
These keys will eject the internal floppy and external floppy disk drives, respectively.  If a Hard Disk is attached to the External Drive Connector with a floppy daisy-chained to it, the floppy will be ejected.  At no time will a Hard Disk be ejected via these keys (although you can throw the hard disk into the trash).

End of Delphi Mac Digest