[net.micro.mac] ?? Help with BREAK Key on MAc+ ??

frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) (04/21/86)

Does anyone know which key is the BREAK key on the Mac+. On my 512K Mac I used
either the option key or Clover Leaf, I can't remember which, but with the Mac+
I seem to be unable to send a break signal to the host computer in order to get
its attention! Which key do you use??
The only other option or cause is that maybe my mini8 t0 DB9 to DB25 is wrong
but how can this be so because Apple sold me this adapter cable for a mere $40.00
which is suppose to be compatable with my old cables!!#@%%#$@!@$@!!!
RIGHT APPLE!!

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/23/86)

In article <1849@dciem.UUCP> frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) writes:
>Does anyone know which key is the BREAK key on the Mac+. On my 512K Mac I used
>either the option key or Clover Leaf, I can't remember which, but with the Mac+
>I seem to be unable to send a break signal to the host computer in order to get
>its attention! Which key do you use??
>The only other option or cause is that maybe my mini8 t0 DB9 to DB25 is wrong
>but how can this be so because Apple sold me this adapter cable for a mere $40
>which is suppose to be compatable with my old cables!!#@%%#$@!@$@!!!

Some clarifications are needed here.  The Mac (to my knowledge) does not have
BREAK (defined as a break in transmission, not an ASCII character) mapped to
any key on the keyboard.  Since this is necessary for most mainframe
communication, most terminal programs have mapped some key on the Mac to send
a Break.

VersaTerm uses the old Enter key to send a break.  The new Enter key on the
Mac+ doesn't send that under VersaTerm Pro, but lo and behold Cmd-Enter did.
What I'm curious is whether Cmd-Enter is normally mapped to the old Enter or
if Lonnie gets yet another brownie button.

uw has 'Send Break' as a menu option.  So does SmartCom][.

Thus, I don't see how you were sending a break with the Cmd or option key
unless you used it with something else.  Whatever it was, it is entirely
dependent upon the terminal program to send the actual break.

The cables won't make any difference here.

Hope this helps...

-Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

werner@ut-dillo (05/01/86)

in VersaTerm-2.x BREAK is generated by the ENTER-key

j_shapiro@hvrford.UUCP (05/05/86)

[Pacman's revenge...]

	On the old keyboard, break was generated by typing the ENTER key.
Since Macterminal recognizes this key by means of the key number instead of
the ascii value, it fails on the new keyboards, because the key number of
the break ENTER key has changed. I don't know how to fix it, but having
said this much some KYCH guru out there ought to be able to figure out how
to patch it for us.

Jon Shapiro
Haverford College