[net.micro.mac] splitcat DA for MEdit

wct@mordor.ARPA (Bill Thompson) (04/30/86)

>Tanks to everybody who gave me feedback on MEdit. Some people asked
>how to get around the limited file size of 32 kByte. MEdit, like
>most other program editors (FastEddie, Megamax Edit, JustText Edit,
>MockWrite, ...) is directly based on the TextEdit routines in ROM
>which cannot handle larger files. ......

A useful DA, but I would like to note that FastEddie, though it
does use the TextEdit routines in Rom for speed, DOES handle files
larger than 32k.  It automatically opens larger files as multiple
windows and performs all file operations on all of the windows
associated with a file.  Since I have been editing files on the
order of 50k-75k--I bought FastEddie specifically for this purpose
and can highly recommend it.
				Bill Thompson

--
	William C. Thompson III (S-1 Project, LLNL)
        U.S. Mail: LLNL,  P.O. Box 5503, L-278, Livermore, Ca., 94550

barad@brand.UUCP (Herb Barad) (05/05/86)

In article <6714@mordor.ARPA> wct@mordor.ARPA (Bill Thompson) writes:

>>Tanks to everybody who gave me feedback on MEdit. Some people asked
>>how to get around the limited file size of 32 kByte. MEdit, like
>>most other program editors (FastEddie, Megamax Edit, JustText Edit,
>>MockWrite, ...) is directly based on the TextEdit routines in ROM
>>which cannot handle larger files. ......
>
>A useful DA, but I would like to note that FastEddie, though it
>does use the TextEdit routines in Rom for speed, DOES handle files
>larger than 32k.  It automatically opens larger files as multiple
>windows and performs all file operations on all of the windows
>associated with a file.  Since I have been editing files on the
>order of 50k-75k--I bought FastEddie specifically for this purpose
>and can highly recommend it.
>				Bill Thompson

I use FastEddie also - you are right that it handles large files;
however, the version that I have of FastEddie2 will often loose stuff
if the cache is enabled.  I can't figure out if this is a FastEddie2
problem, or a problem with the cache implementation.  Another cache
problem is that you cannot save the default settings if the cache is
enabled (remember the cache bit must be set on FastEddie2 also).  My
suggestion: don't use cache with FastEddie2 (until this is fixed).
Otherwise, FastEddie2 is a really good text editor.

--

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:		...!sdcrdcf!usc-oberon!brand!barad			or
		...!mcvax!seismo!sun!trwspf!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad%brand@USC-ECL.ARPA

USMail:		Univ. of Southern California
		Powell Hall 306, MC-0272