[net.micro.mac] question on hard disks

bri@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Brian Totty) (04/30/86)

Keywords:hard disks

	I will be purchasing a hard disk which will be used on an
enhanced 512K MacIntosh.  I am thinking of purchasing the internal
20m hard disk and a 2 meg upgrade from Mass Tech or purchasing the
Apple HD-20.

	I played with the Apple HD-20 for a while and it seemed
fast enough to me.  But, it had only 3 meg of data on it.  I have
heard rumors that if the disk is almost full, exiting to the finder
or loading programs slows down a lot.  Is this true?  Also, how
does the MacBottom hard disk compare to the Apple HD-20?

						Thanks for any info
						David J. D'Souza

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (05/06/86)

In article <1794@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> djdsouza@athena.mit.edu@mit-eddie.UUCP (David D'Souza) writes:

>	I played with the Apple HD-20 for a while and it seemed
>fast enough to me.  But, it had only 3 meg of data on it.  I have
>heard rumors that if the disk is almost full, exiting to the finder
>or loading programs slows down a lot.  Is this true?

It might be, but I wouldn't know anymore.  A tremendous thank you to Steve
Capps for writing Keeper, which makes quitting to the finder literally
instantaneous.  With zooming off (LAYO resource) the windows for the Finder
literally just appear!  This is an HD20 with ~19Meg on it (time for spring
cleaning!).

You have the new ROMs already; they increase Finder speed a great deal.

Minor beware: if you run Finder under Switcher, after running Keeper, you
won't be able to get back to Switcher or anywhere else.  Running RamStart
after Keeper is a bomb.  Running Keeper, then Switcher, and then exiting all in
Switcher back to the Finder works fine.

-Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton