henry@rochester.ARPA (04/17/86)

From: Henry.Kautz

>I am having trouble running MicroSoft Word on an upgraded Mac 512 (i.e.,
>128K rom and 800K disk).  In particular, it hangs when it tries to
>print.  I think you'll agree that a word processing program that can't
>print is pretty useless.  Some particulars:  I am using the 'old' system
>(pre Mac+, not sure of the exact version).  MacWrite will print

So, why don't you use the new system?!
---- Henry Kautz
	:uucp:	{seismo|allegra}!rochester!henry
	:arpa:	henry@rochester
	:mail:  Dept. of Computer Science,
		University of Rochester,
		Rochester, NY 14627
	:phone: (716) 275-5766

callen@ada-uts (05/06/86)

I've noticed that Word is SLOWER redrawing the screen on a Mac+ than
it is on my old 512K Mac! This is wierd, since just about everything
else I've tried runs noticably faster (sorry about the subjective
comments - I'll try to get a watch and do some clocking).

Quickdraw was sped up in the new ROMs - but what about the Font Manager?
The new Font Manager allows for (essentially) font metrics files - do
they slow down the drawing of text?

-- Jerry Callen
   ...(ima,ihnp4)!inmet!ada-uts!callen