[net.micro.mac] Mac Plus RAMdisk

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (04/12/86)

Does anyone know of a ram disk that works with the Mac Plus.  The RamStart
program does not seem to work correctly and my friend would like to find
one for his Plus.

Steve Leeke
LEEKE@CASCADE

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (04/14/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Does anyone know of a ram disk that works with the Mac Plus.

Assimilations Mac.Memory.Disk works if you do not set it up to auto start
when you boot up.  If you only use the temporary memdisk, then it works great.
I understand the mac+ version is in the works.

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David W. Berry) (04/15/86)

RamStart should work fine as long as you don't let it copy files
but instead copy them by hand.  Put RamStart in it's own folder
so it doesn't copy any files and then execute it.

Alternatively, a few weeks back there were some patches to RamStart
that allowed it to copy files also.  It was posted here but I don't
remember the details.
--

	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.UUCP

	I'm only here for the beer.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (04/15/86)

> ****                                                                 ****
> From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
> > Does anyone know of a ram disk that works with the Mac Plus.
>
> Assimilations Mac.Memory.Disk works if you do not set it up to auto start
> when you boot up.  If you only use the temporary memdisk, then it works great.
> I understand the mac+ version is in the works.

I used Tony Nelson's RamStart program on a MacPlus and it worked fine.
It's also free.
--
"It's a cold world                                     Peter Merchant
 when we're restless & we're young..."

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) (04/15/86)

In article <80@cascade.ARPA> leeke@cascade.UUCP (Steven D. Leeke) writes:
>Does anyone know of a ram disk that works with the Mac Plus.  The RamStart
>program does not seem to work correctly and my friend would like to find
>one for his Plus.

I use RamStart 1.21, which was posted to the net, and it works fine as long
as you don't try to load the System file into the ramdisk automatically.  It
is the point where RamStart tries to purge unnecessary resources (INITs etc.)
from the System file that it bombs.  Other than that, it loads all files in
the folder it's in without a problem.

Assimilation has said they will come out with an update for their MacMemory
Disk 'soon.'  I have heard that it will work if you create a Temporary disk,
not a permanent one.

I haven't tried QuickDisk on my system, since RamStart is working so nicely.

-Chris
--
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD

baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) (04/19/86)

Patches to Ramstart 1.21 (recently posted) work fine with Mac+, except that
it doesn't eject the boot disk.

/* Jason Haines            STD:  (02) 73-4444
 * ElecEng Undergraduate   ISD: +61 2 73-4444
 * 73 Davidson Avenue      ACSnet: baron@runx
 * Concord NSW 2137        CSNET:  baron@runx.oz
 * AUSTRALIA               ARPA:   baron%runx.oz@seismo.css.gov
 *
 * UUCP:
 *   {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.oz!baron
 */

baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) (04/22/86)

This is a reposting of info extracted from the Delphi Digests :-

RamStart 1.21 patches for HFS
Gary Boudreaux

Here are the applicable patches to make RamStart version 1.21 compatible with HFS.

In sector $0C, offset $B4, replace 4EBA 0682 with 4E71 4E71
In sector $0D, offset $17A, replace 6700 0012 006E 8000 with 6000 0012 006E 8000
If you're using a hard disk, you may need to apply the following patch (I had
to use it for both the Corvus and the WarpJNine):

   In sector $06, offset $190, replace 41FA 0388 with 6000 000C

Another note :  RamStart uses a DRVR 10, which is a problem if you're using
ppleTalk.  To get around this, pick a driver number which isn't being used in
your system file, and use ResEdit to change the DRVR number in RamStart (I used
11 on my system).

/* Jason Haines            STD:  (02) 73-4444
 * ElecEng Undergraduate   ISD: +61 2 73-4444
 * 73 Davidson Avenue      ACSnet: baron@runx
 * Concord NSW 2137        CSNET:  baron@runx.oz
 * AUSTRALIA               ARPA:   baron%runx.oz@seismo.css.gov
 *
 * UUCP:
 *   {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.oz!baron
 */

jmm@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (James M. Moore) (05/06/86)

I have an old version of RamStart that works just fine on my plus.  Try
digging out your archives and pull out the earliest version you have.