henry@rochester.UUCP (03/20/85)

From: Henry.Kautz

Part 1/6 of the red ryder documentation still has not made it to this
part of net-land.  Could it be posted one more time??
---- Henry Kautz
	:uucp:	{seismo|allegra}!rochester!henry
	:arpa:	henry@rochester
	:mail:  Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627
	:phone: (716) 275-5766

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (03/24/85)

> From: Henry.Kautz
>
> Part 1/6 of the red ryder documentation still has not made it to this
> part of net-land.  Could it be posted one more time??

It hasn't made it here either.  I second the request.

--
"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (01/28/86)

In article <657@ihwpt.UUCP>, dafa@ihwpt.UUCP (David Fay) writes:
> MacTerminal transfers are initiated with "ESC a", as already
> mentioned, and MacBinary with "ESC b".

Thanks for mentioning this.  I always wondered.

> It is a natural extension to
> initiate Kermit transfers with "ESC k" or some such. In fact I am
> told that Kermit, which I have never used, does sender initiated
> transfers so I assume it is already set up with a some kind of
> request-for-transfer signal.

The entire kermit protocol is based around ^A.  While it depends
on the transaction being sought, a kermit packet will always
begin ^A-printing character- (1-94 characters) followed by a return.

Normally, kermit must be in "protocol mode" to trap the ^A --
ie, it only looks for packets when you ask it to.  But it wouldn't
be too hard to change this.

> A friend and I have been working on this stuff recently because we
> are setting up a Mac bulletin board running on a Unix machine. My friend
> will be sending out a new version of macput shortly that moves it in the
> direction that Tim Smith proposes.

Actually, if you store files in binhex form, what you propose can
be accomplished already with the PD. kermit.  Just establish a
user "kermserv"
	kermserv:xxxx:9999:9999:/usr/spool/uucppublic/:/usr/local/kermserv

/usr/local/kermserv:
	kermit -x

And anonymous users can upload and download to their heart's content.
Kermit is a far more reliable protocol than the alternatives, and
it allows for wild-card downloads.  So even if it is a little slower,
I just start up 10 files and walk away for dinner.

--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

rudy@bdmrrr.UUCP (03/13/86)

Could some kind sole please email me the most recent version of Red Ryder
and the documentation?

I currently use MacTerminal and would like a change.

Thank you!

--
Scott W. Rudy III

The BDM Corporation BB622		Phone: (703) 848-8612 work
7915 Jones Branch Drive		               (202) 965-6909 home
McLean, VA  22102-3396			UUCP:  {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!rudy

robert@ukecc.UUCP (Robert Lee) (05/08/86)

Concerning the LINE duplication between files two and three of Red-Ryder.
Could somone post the LINE in question?  I've already merge the files
and removed the originals.

Thanks

Robert