[net.micro.mac] Ocular/Eye Control of Cursor??

frank@dciem.UUCP (Frank Evans) (04/25/86)

I have seen advertisements for an ocular or eye controlled cursor device. I
cannot recall the product's name but it cost about $200.

I would kike to know if anyone used this product and how well does it work?

1) Is it faster than a nimble mouse?

2) Is it as accurate as a mouse ie can place the cursor easily in between
letters??

3) Does it cause eye strain or eye fatigue??

4) Does it alaways have to be readjusted after a few minutes of use?? ie.
does the cursor drift from where you are normally looking?

5) Is it compatable with most if not all software??

6) Does one get a stiff neck from it??

7) Is it worth the price??

8) Are there any third party vendors??

I would deeply appreciate feedback from people who have used this product!!

Thank You!

hansen@mips.UUCP (04/28/86)

> I have seen advertisements for an ocular or eye controlled cursor device. I
> cannot recall the product's name but it cost about $200.
>
> I would like to know if anyone used this product and how well does it work?

I recently attended a course in which we investigated this and other
pointing devices, from the standpoint of accuracy and speed.  I do not have
a specific reference on the device, which was actually a "head tracker" that
was controlled by head movements, rather than eye movements.  It is highly
unlikely that an "eye tracker" could be built for a sell price within an
order of magnitude of $200.

> 1) Is it faster than a nimble mouse?

No.

> 2) Is it as accurate as a mouse ie can place the cursor easily in between
> letters??

No.

> 7) Is it worth the price??

No.

The group that tested this device contacted the manufacturer prior to
testing, and was advised that the device was intended only for rather gross
pointing maneuvers.  They observed an extremely long learning curve that
continued beyond a full day of use, which ran contrary to manufacturers
claims that a half-hour or less was required to gain proficiency with the
device. Even after a full days training, the device was not faster than a
mouse, even for gross pointing, even considering its "hands-free" mode of
operation.

As an aside, other devices tested included teflon pads for the underside of
a mouse, pads to run a mouse on, trackballs, joysticks, and the effects of
scaling between mouse and cursor movement. Everything tested was worse, or
was not statistically better, than the standard mac mouse.  In particular,
the use of the "proportional control," (setting of (1) next to the mouse
icon on the control panel) generally decreased performance on several tasks
we measured. Overall, the tests indicated that user preference for these
gadgets was not well-correlated with user performance.

Does anyone out there have a "foot mouse?" We didn't have any luck finding
one for the tests.  It's yet another alternative for those looking for
hands-free pointing devices.

--

Craig Hansen			|	 "Evahthun' tastes
MIPS Computer Systems		|	 bettah when it

mkr@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (05/02/86)

In article <458@mips.UUCP> hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) writes:

	A buncha stuff about the head-tracker mouse substitute.

>> 1) Is it faster than a nimble mouse?
>No.
>> 2) Is it as accurate as a mouse ie can place the cursor easily in between
>> letters??
>No.
>> 7) Is it worth the price??
>No.

	More stuff about the device's deficiencies.

>Craig Hansen			|	 "Evahthun' tastes

	I have to agree with you overall, but I would like to point out
one thing - I have a friend who broke his neck years ago and is paralyzed
from the neck down as a result. He can't move or feel anything below his
neck, including his arms. For him the device, coupled with a blow-tube for
"clicking" would be *very* helpful. He progams computers now, but unfortunately
he's using IBM PC's and VT100-VT200's on Vaxen. When he gets around to the
Mac, I'm sure he'll be pleasantly surprised.

	I have another friend who is also paralyzed, except that he has some
use of his arms (but not his hands). He does have a Mac and uses the standard
mouse. I tried to show him how a trackball could be better, but when I watched
him try it, I had to agree that the mouse was better. For him, the mouse is
still better than that head-thing, but you can bet the salesman tried to
sell him one.

--MKR

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (05/03/86)

>> I have seen advertisements for an ocular or eye controlled cursor device. I
>> cannot recall the product's name but it cost about $200.
>>
>> I would like to know if anyone used this product and how well does it work?
>
>I recently attended a course in which we investigated this and other
>pointing devices, from the standpoint of accuracy and speed.  I do not have
>a specific reference on the device, which was actually a "head tracker" that
>was controlled by head movements, rather than eye movements.  It is highly
>unlikely that an "eye tracker" could be built for a sell price within an
>order of magnitude of $200.
>
>> 1) Is it faster than a nimble mouse?
>
>No.

It depends. I use "HI" setting and Control-Panel mouse setting "1".
I find the head tracker ("View Control System") faster for accurate
positioning than the mouse, but only for situations where one want a
cursor placement leading to a "click" event.

>> 2) Is it as accurate as a mouse ie can place the cursor easily in between
>> letters??
>
>No.

Yes. Easier than the mouse.  However, it is much less easy than a mouse
for drawing smooth curves.  I would use the VCS for text editing every
time, because one does not have to keep taking the hands off the
keyboard, and because the VCS makes it easier to get accurate placement
of the cursor.

>> 7) Is it worth the price??
>
>No.

Depends on how much money you have.

Personics claims that they have built the VCS with a microphone input,
and will be providing a voice-recognition device (presumably for menu
command control, but they don't say so).

I use the VCS mainly for writing reports, which I do in ThinkTank 512
(transferring to UNIX troff for printing, with appropriate editing
done automatically).  I would never use it for MacDraw or MacPaint
(though I did once, for fun(?)).

When you look at the lab study statistics, you have to ask about the
conditions.  In the long run, nothing compares with real-world experience:
do users stick with a device once the novelty has worn off, given that
they have equal access to other devices for the same task?  The VCS
allows you rapidly to switch from using the head-tracker to using the
mouse.  I think for me the novelty has worn off, and I still use the
VCS.  My only gripe is that it grips my head too tightly, no matter how
I set the pressure pads, but after a while one gets used to it.

VCS is made by: Personics Corporation, 2352 Main St, Building 2,
Concord, MA 01742. (617) 897-1575.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

callen@ada-uts (05/09/86)

>As an aside, other devices tested included teflon pads for the underside of
>a mouse, pads to run a mouse on, trackballs, joysticks, and the effects of
>scaling between mouse and cursor movement. Everything tested was worse, or
>was not statistically better, than the standard mac mouse.  In particular,
>the use of the "proportional control," (setting of (1) next to the mouse
>icon on the control panel) generally decreased performance on several tasks
>we measured. Overall, the tests indicated that user preference for these
>gadgets was not well-correlated with user performance.
>
>Craig Hansen

Really? I *LOVE* the proportional mouse control. I notice it IMMEDIATELY
if someone in the house has changed it on me. I use my mac mostly for
text processing (Word), terminal emulation and spreadsheets - the first
two aren't mouse-intensive, the last tends to be more so. I'm mostly using
the mouse to pull down menus, select dialog items, select text, set the
insertion point, etc. I DON'T do alot of stuff that would seem to require
finer control, like MacPaint.

-- Jerry Callen    ...(ima,ihnp4)!inmet!ada-uts!callen