[net.micro.mac] Suggestions for music typesetting systems?

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (05/05/86)

A friend of mine does music transcription for a living and wonders if there
are musical typesetting systems that would be worth her using.  She will settle
for less-than-typeset quality so long as it's decent; she imagines that typical
customers would be music composition students.  She does it by hand now, but it
takes so long to do that she has to charge a lot.

It is important that it be able to handle fairly complicated musical notation
such as is found in most modern music these days.  It would be really nice if
it could automatically take a conductor's score and split it up into parts.

I gather that there is a fair amount of stuff like this for the mac.
Suggestions about good or bad software would be appreciated, along with how
big a mac you need to run it, the price, and so forth.  My friend is an
impoverished rural housewife so if she could get a usable system for $2500 or
so that would be great.

Please send me mail, I'll summarize if there's interest.
--
John R. Levine, {ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl
Levine@YALE.EDU

The opinions expressed above are those of a 12-year-old hacker who has
broken into my account and not those of any person or organization.

abulloch@violet.berkeley.edu.berkeley.edu (/violet_b/abulloch) (05/07/86)

I have seen and used (somewhat) Professional Composer (from Mark of the
Unicorn). It is terrific, both in the facilities that it offers and in
convenience of use. I believe that it is the only music program that
currently offers full orchestral score handling capability. It is
certainly written for writers; reviewers who have expressed preferences
for Concertware+ etc. have always done so on the grounds that these other
programs offer more in the way of playback.

P.C. version 2.0 has pretty good Laserwriter support (earlier versions do
not), so you can get an impeccable looking score. You need at least a 512
(i.e.go for a MacPlus); price on the street is around $250. This is a lot,
but it looks to me as if for a writer this is well worth it.

Anthony Bulloch
Dept. of Classics
Dwinelle Hall
Berkeley
Ca. 94720

Tel.: 415-642-4218/4001

cak@purdue.UUCP (Christopher A. Kent) (05/07/86)

I believe that Professional Composer, from Mark of the Unicorn, is
still the best system on the market for the music copyist. It really
was designed that way, rather than a music playing/composing program
like MusicWorks, so the emphasis is on music copying rather than music
playing.

It handles just about everything you might want, I believe (I've read
many reviews but never actually touched one.) I don't know about
terribly modern pieces; they've been developing some very odd notation
lately.

There was a fairly in-depth review in the Computer Music Journal a few
issues ago; done by a musician/computer user, rather than a computer
tech writer. His opinion was that if you were doing serious score work,
this was the only product that came close to being adequate.

Unfortunately, ProfComp is quite pricey -- $495.

Cheers,
chris

steves@kepler.UUCP (Steve Schlich) (05/13/86)

For my money--and I tend to be careful where I spend it--Deluxe Music
Construction Set is the best thing going.  It is only slightly less powerful
than Professional Composer and at $50 suggested retail DMCS is the deal of
the century.  Check it out!
--
You've got to start young if you're going to stick it out.
                                   --Firesign Theater

krs@amdahl.UUCP (Kris Stephens) (05/13/86)

In article <108@ima.UUCP>, johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
> A friend of mine does music transcription for a living and wonders if there
> are musical typesetting systems that would be worth her using.

Absolutely.  I've been arranging music for years now and the only thing
keeping me from publishing was notational intricacies - I can handle the
manuscript work acceptably but not at what I'd call "publishable quality".
So I bought a Mac (512 required) and Professional Composer from Mark of the
Unicorn.  ImageWriter (dot-matrix) output isn't up to publishable, but it's
certainly presentable.  LaserWriter output is where *my* output requirements
are satisfied.  So far so good, right?  Almost.  Data-entry with the mouse
is/was so damn slow that I shelved the project mid-stream until I added some
more gear (Sequential Circuits MultiTrak synthesizer, OpCode MIDI interface)
and Mark of the Unicorn's Performer, their MIDI driver/sequencer.

Any MIDI synthesizer does the job in this layout.  Using Performer in step-
mode recording, the left hand on the Mac keyboard sets note durations and
enters rests and the right hand on the synth keyboard enters notes.  Entry
is done a voice at a time for who-knows-how-many voices maximum (16?  More?
I'm at work so I don't know for sure).  When entry is complete, "Save as
Composer file" and quit,  call up Composer on the file and put the finishing
touches on.  From Composer, print score and parts, transpose parts as needed,
print alternate instrument parts (trombone for horn, for instance). Composer
will handle up to 40 staves, has almost every clef including percussion,
and will handle multi-verse lyrics.  If you need exotic notation, you can
save print output as MacPaint files and do what you want to it.

I've already (two nights work so far) gotten to the point where I can enter,
edit, and print a 100-measure quintet in a single evening.

Alternative:  Prefessional Composer Version 2.0 includes some new keyboard
mapping (for the Mac keyboard), such that you can almost duplicate the
"left-hand duration/right-hand pitch" work of Performer.  This might be a
fine middle-ground, as Performer ($225 or so), a MIDI interface ($100), and
a synthesizer ($500+) aren't required.  In any case, an external disk drive
is more than convenient, as Composer takes up over 300K.

A major strong-point with Mark of the Unicorn is their penchant for listening
to their users.  They've got a Marketing phone number (617, 576-2760) for
general questions and a technical hotline (617, 576-3066), both covered on
first-shift Eastern-time.  They are constantly enhancing the capabilities
of their programs, install requested changes from users (they won't actually
*commit* to it, but in fact they do it), and are very friendly.  I already
feel like it's a long-term professional relationship with them.

On pricing, make sure you check out MacConnection and NorthEastern (both are
listed in MacWorld).  I got quite a good price from ComputerWare in Palo
Alto, CA, as well as all the time I wanted to demo Performer.

Enjoy!
--
Kris Stephens     (408-746-6047)                 {whatever}!amdahl!krs
     [The opinions expressed above are mine, solely, and do not    ]