[net.micro.mac] Mac+ thoughts/comments

phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) (04/03/86)

Thoughts on the new Mac+ (Handson experience):

The new RAM cache is VERY NICE.  I used to use Turbocharger.  I think turbo
is a little better, but integrating the cache feature in the system makes
things a whole lot nicer.

I have a 1meg Mac.  My memory upgrade is from Bech Tech in Berkely CA.  It is
100% compatible with the new Apple roms.  Some others are not.  The tech that
upgraded my mac said he did a mac with a levco upgrade, and the Levco memory
was not seen by the new ROMS!!!

More on the Cache,

    I  use a 384K cache, and a 128K Ramdisk for small stuff.
    Is the Cache size stored in Parameter Ram or something????   It seems to
follow around in the new system, even after you reboot a different disk!!!

Control Panel

   Has anyone else noticed you can no longer set time/date from the new
control panel????  Did they leave it off by accident????

Booting:

   The  MAC+ seems to do a memory test when turned on, takes about 8 seconds
before the first center screen ? icon appears.  It also boots ALOT faster
because most is ROM based.  Like booting a RAMDISK!

I love it....

Phil Hunt

berry@tolerant.UUCP (David W. Berry) (04/06/86)

In article <231@sivax.UUCP> phil@sivax.UUCP (Phil Hunt) writes:
>I have a 1meg Mac.  My memory upgrade is from Bech Tech in Berkely CA.  It is
>100% compatible with the new Apple roms.  Some others are not.  The tech that
>upgraded my mac said he did a mac with a levco upgrade, and the Levco memory
>was not seen by the new ROMS!!!
	Hmm... Mine works fine.  Monster Mac with new ROMS and DS disk drive.
	You do have to get new roms from Levco or else nothing works though.

>More on the Cache,
>
>    I  use a 384K cache, and a 128K Ramdisk for small stuff.
>    Is the Cache size stored in Parameter Ram or something????   It seems to
>follow around in the new system, even after you reboot a different disk!!!
	Yep.  You guessed it.  The cache characteristics are in the pram.

>Control Panel
>
>   Has anyone else noticed you can no longer set time/date from the new
>control panel????  Did they leave it off by accident????
	This was moved to the alarm clock.  I'm not sure if I like it
	more this way or not.  Probably doesn't make any difference at
	all.

>Booting:
>
>   The  MAC+ seems to do a memory test when turned on, takes about 8 seconds
>before the first center screen ? icon appears.  It also boots ALOT faster
>because most is ROM based.  Like booting a RAMDISK!
	Yep.  It is a ramtest.  Only disadvantage I've found to the Monster.
	The memory test takes a while.  If you use Shutdown to reboot the
	memory test is skipped and the reboot will thus be quicker.

>I love it....
	Ain't it great!  Love them 800k floppies.

--

	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.UUCP

	I'm only here for the beer.

mrl@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (04/09/86)

In article <325@tolerant.UUCP> berry@handel.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
>>Has anyone else noticed you can no longer set time/date from the new
>>control panel????  Did they leave it off by accident????
>	This was moved to the alarm clock.  I'm not sure if I like it
>	more this way or not.  Probably doesn't make any difference at
>	all.

It was always in the alarm clock; they just removed a redundancy.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (04/13/86)

>>>Has anyone else noticed you can no longer set time/date from the new
>>>control panel????  Did they leave it off by accident????
>>       This was moved to the alarm clock.  I'm not sure if I like it
>>       more this way or not.  Probably doesn't make any difference at
>>       all.
>
>It was always in the alarm clock; they just removed a redundancy.

Right.  but with the shortage of DA-slots, who keeps that one around?
If it wasn't for PRAM, Other..., and Sampler, this would represent
a real dilemma

bngofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (04/23/86)

In article <3217@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>>       This was moved to the alarm clock.  I'm not sure if I like it
>>>       more this way or not.  Probably doesn't make any difference at
>>>       all.
>>It was always in the alarm clock; they just removed a redundancy.
>Right.  but with the shortage of DA-slots, who keeps that one around?
>If it wasn't for PRAM, Other..., and Sampler, this would represent
>a real dilemma

	Why not just keep a "special" boot disk with the alarm clock DA on
it (along with other rarely used utilities). After all, how often do you
reset the time?

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (05/14/86)

>>>       This was moved to the alarm clock.  I'm not sure if I like it
>>>       more this way or not.  Probably doesn't make any difference at
>>>       all.
>>It was always in the alarm clock; they just removed a redundancy.
>Right.  but with the shortage of DA-slots, who keeps that one around?

Has anybody with a 512K Macintosh actually tried setting the clock with
the control panel?  It's very odd, but after I upgraded mine to 512K I had
to reset the clock because of having the power disconnected.  I didn't
have an alarm clock DA installed, so I tried doing it with the control
panel... but every time I'd close the control panel and then reopen it,
the clock would be wrong!  I thought I had damaged the clock IC while
upgrading it.  However, I then tried setting it with the alarm clock, and
it worked.

It may be, though, that there is some anomaly in my machine; but I've
noticed in the past that features seem to disappear from Apple's products
shortly after they quit working correctly in some situations (e.g., the
"put back" feature of the finder).
--
E. Roskos
^-("J." in the Apple vernacular! :-))