[net.micro.mac] Downloading multiple files

borton@sdcc3 (04/29/86)

In article <719@mmm.UUCP> allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) writes:

>	[...] Is there any software that will allow me to transfer multiple
>	files from the Mac to the Vax in one operation ? I.E. I would
>	like to start a transfer of 10-20 files from the Mac to the Vax, go
>	eat lunch, and come back to see them all on the Vax.

I have been looking for the abilty to do nice multiple file transfers Mac->host
for some time.  My only solution so far is to use MacKermit in server mode,
but this requires that the kermit on the host end be either dumb or hacked.

The idea is to give the host kermit the command 'get file*.c' and then quickly
put MacKermit into server mode.

I had no problem with an old version of Kermit-32 (VMS) last summer, and this
school year managed to hack up C-Kermit enough to disable the check against
that.  ("You must 'set line' first" is the normal error)  After disabling that
check, C-Kermit accepted 'get file*.c' and would work.

Does anyone have a nice batch file transfer ability worked out?  It's a real
necessity for some people.

-Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

dad@mit-vax (05/01/86)

In article <3261@sdcc3.UUCP> borton@sdcc3.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>In article <719@mmm.UUCP> allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) writes:
>>
>>	[...] Is there any software that will allow me to transfer multiple
>>	files from the Mac to the Vax in one operation ? I.E. I would
>>
>I have been looking for the abilty to do nice multiple file transfers Mac->host
>for some time.  My only solution so far is to use MacKermit in server mode,

A big round of applause to the first eager beaver to post a RedRider
9.0 command file and a unix program which accomplishes this in an
elegant way!!

It should not be too hard.  I have read over the new RR docs, and it
seems as though it was designed ofr this type of thing.  Only problem
is, I don't yet have V9.0.

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (05/14/86)

> The idea is to give the host kermit the command 'get file*.c' and then quickly
> put MacKermit into server mode.

	sleep 10;get file*.c

obviates the necessity for "quickly".
--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Doth the hawk fly by thy wisdom, and stretch her wings              |
toward the south?                        Job 39:26