[net.micro.mac] 2 Meg upgrade for Mac+

che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) (05/05/86)

I was at my local computer store and saw a $199. Mac+ 2 Meg upgrade which
I originally heard about at the West Coast Computer Faire.  It consists
of a double row of RAM chips on a card which you can just plug into
the Mac+ board.  (The box also says it includes a free fan and some
RAMdisk software.)  It is an off-the-shelf upgrade and is supposedly
user-installable.

I asked the salesperson if she knew of responses from buyers.  She said
they've sold a few but haven't heard anything from these people.  I
suppose this means it's easy to install and everything works as advertised,
or they've all electrocuted themselves and can't complain. :-)

Does anyone actually have experience with this product?  I'm sorry I
don't have the name.  I'd like to know whether it is easy to install
and whether it works properly.  Please mail info to me and I will
summarize as necessary...

In article <372@ptsfb.UUCP>, che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) writes:
> I was at my local computer store and saw a $199. Mac+ 2 Meg upgrade which
Yeah, but postnews choked on my signature... doesn't like signatures
greater than 4 lines....  Give me a break....

Mitch Che
Pacific Bell
---------------------------------------
disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, too
(415) 823-2438
uucp: {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfb!che

bill@crystal.UUCP (Bill Cox) (05/08/86)

In article <372@ptsfb.UUCP>, che@ptsfb.UUCP (Mitch Che) writes:
> I was at my local computer store and saw a $199. Mac+ 2 Meg upgrade which
> I originally heard about at the West Coast Computer Faire.  It consists
> of a double row of RAM chips on a card which you can just plug into
> the Mac+ board.  (The box also says it includes a free fan and some
> RAMdisk software.)  It is an off-the-shelf upgrade and is supposedly
> user-installable.
>
> Does anyone actually have experience with this product?  I'm sorry I
> don't have the name.

I saw an ad for "MacMemory Inc." in the May MacWorld, page 25.  They are
selling something that sounds a lot like this, but they want FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS.
Their product, called "TheMaxPlus", is a SIM with 2 rows of chips; they
told me over the phone that you plugged their board in, then your original
4 SIMs with 256K each into their board.
[SIM == Single Inline Memory module]

The guy I talked to made a big point of it being "...2Meg of contiguous
memory".

They include MaxRAM and MaxPrint software: ramdisk, print spooler usable
with hard disk or memory.  Also mentioned a piezoelectric fan (similar to
Levco's), but the fan is NOT mentioned in the ad.

QUESTIONS:

If this is the same thing that Mitch refers to, why the 150% price increase?

I thought that the Mac+ architecture would support the 1Meg SIMs when they
were available.  Why should you want/need extra logic?

Oki makes the 256K SIMs that I've seen - they look a lot like the
ones in the Mac+, but I haven't been able to directly compare them.
[btw, the 256K SIMs are available for around $25 or so each from Oki;
they said that 1Megs would be available soon, but didn't quote delivery
in their ad in Electronics.]

MacMemory claims that "Apple uses their memory product for the Mac+."
This seems a little silly.  Is this true?

Does anyone know anything about this company?

Does anyone know anything more about the price/availability/USABILITY
of 1Meg SIMs for the Mac+?

	bill

daf1@bunny.UUCP (David Fay) (05/14/86)

>I saw an ad for "MacMemory Inc." in the May MacWorld, page 25 ... Does
anyone know anything about this company?

I don't know about MacMemory's memory expansion for the Mac+, but I do know
about the company. I and 10 of my friends bought their 1.5 Meg memory
upgrades and then the 2 Meg upgrade when Apple made the new ROMs incompatible
with 1.5 Megs. I recommend the company highly. They have always treated us
with respect and trust, have made good on all their promises (when Apple
didn't make that impossible) and we have had no problems with their upgrades. I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

My only criticism of MacMemory is that they sometimes are disorganized on
pricing. It took several phone calls to find out what the price really was
on the 1.5 Meg upgrade. Their employees, many of whom seemed to be new,
didn't seem to know. We ended up dealing with the president of the company.

You should be aware that they have several different prices for each product.
One is for dealers, one for clubs, and one is retail. The club discount is a
hefty one (about 20-25% as I recall). It is (or was anyway) available to
anyone who ordered through a club in quantity >1. Perhaps the discrepancy in
prices you noted had to do with discounts.

David Fay
harvard!bunny!daf1

--
--------------------
David Fay

borton@sdcc3.UUCP (05/14/86)

In article <82@crystal.UUCP> bill@crystal.UUCP (Bill Cox) writes:

[discussing 2Meg upgrades for a Mac+ by MacMemory Inc...]

>The guy I talked to made a big point of it being "...2Meg of contiguous
>memory".

True salesmanship comes through again.  Contiguous memory *was* an issue
*before* the 128K ROMs; now it isn't whatsoever.  If any saleman tries this
line, tell him that *every* RAM upgrade on a machine with 128K ROMs will have
contiguous space.  [not just his :-)]

--Chris
--
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

niel@ihwpt.UUCP (M. N. Ransom) (05/15/86)

>I saw an ad for "MacMemory Inc." in the May MacWorld, page 25 ... Does
> anyone know anything about this company?

I have their 2 MB upgrade for the standard mac.  It seems to work
fine.

One side story.  After upgrading to 2 MB, I took my mac in for the
ROM/drive upgrade.  When I came to pick it up the repairman at the
dealer told me that there was a bad connection somewhere in my mac
which, despite spending an hour looking for it, he was unable to
locate.  He stated that he had disassembled the mac numerous
times, reseated the expansion board repeatedly, etc., but to no
avail.  Demonstrating it to me, he would turn on the mac, the bong
would occur, but the screen sould stay blank.  He would then jiggle
the motherboard, and sure enough, the insert disk icon would appear!

My mac's "problem" of course was that he had never seen a 2 MB mac
before.  It takes roughly 10 sec after power up for it to complete
the RAM diagnostic.  By that time he would be jiggling connectors
and would assume that his jiggling made it start working.

				Niel Ransom