[net.micro.mac] Lightspeed C

wholmes@bbnccv.UUCP (William P. Holmes) (03/13/86)

A person here at BBN went to a demo Think Tech. did at a developers
meeting.  She said it looked as fast as they claim and is HFS compatable.
Anyway here is a blurb off their order form:

-start of blurb-

LIGHTSPEED C(tm)
A serious C development environment on the Macintosh that mankes it as fast and
easy to work on very large programs as it is to work on small ones.  With
LightspeedC, you can quickly edit a few files of a large multi-file project,
and at the touch of a single key, automatically recompile only as needed.  You
can relink, build, and launch the project for testing at least 10 times faster
than any other Mac-based C development system on the market.  LightspeedC is
not copy protected.

-end of blurb-

The best part of all is the retail price is only $175!  With mail order
discounts it could really give the competition a run for it.  I'll let you know
how it is when I get mine.

[raig
cmacfarlane@bbnv.arpa
harvard!bbncca!bbnv!cmacfarlane   <- not to sure if that is right.

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (03/29/86)

> Could someone send me (or post) the name/address of the Lightspeed
> developer?

Think Technologies
420 Bedford Street
Lexington, MA 02173
617 863 5595

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (04/10/86)

I was just on the phone with a sales rep for Think Technologies to
inquire whether there is an educational discount.  There is - 35
percent, which brings the $175 list price to $122.50.  That makes an
even better deal for an already good price, so you may wish to call and
see if your institution qualifies.

617-863-5595.  Ask for sales.

--

Paul DuBois     {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois        --+--

Doth the hawk fly by thy wisdom, and stretch her wings              |
toward the south?                        Job 39:26

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (04/12/86)

In article <2102@uwmacc.UUCP>, dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:

> I was just on the phone with a sales rep for Think Technologies to
> inquire whether there is an educational discount.  There is - 35
> percent, which brings the $175 list price to $122.50.  That makes an
> even better deal for an already good price, so you may wish to call and
> see if your institution qualifies.
>
> 617-863-5595.  Ask for sales.

	I have purchased LightSpeed C at a local Mac software discount
store for $137.50. A good price for a quality product! It is usually
fairly easy to find lower than list prices for software these days.
	Peter Espen

kearns@garfield.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) (05/21/86)

If you are not using Lightspeed C yet, then you will be soon.
I am a former user of Aztec C; but after trying out Lightspeed I would
dread going back.  The speed is so much faster that, as they say in the manual,
there is a qualitative difference in the way you program.

I would like to point out a few of the subtle features of the package that
help to make programming throughput FAST.  The editor is built in - you can
recompile a file without even saving the file.  If there is an error it puts
the cursor right on the error.  (In Aztec one had to leave the compiler, enter
the editor, find the line, correct it, save it, leave, restart the compiler.
This adds up to TIME, especially considering the speed the Mac stops and
starts programs)

There is a built in grep/find/replace that opens up the files for you to edit.
This feature is invaluable on large programs.

The editor scrolls VERY fast.  (it is hard to believe this is important,
but it is.)

No linking!  On my moderate sized program, (40k code) Aztec linking was
1.5-2 minutes.

Built in knowledge of macintosh traps!  When you use C, you have to be paranoid
about declaring functions that return a non-integer or that are "pascal"
functions.  With Lightspeed all of the Macintosh functions are predefined.  One
benefit of this is that you have to include fewer files, also speeding up
compilation.  (now if they would just predefine all of the data structures...)

THE DOWN SIDE:
* you must have a hard disk to do serious development with it.  My lightspeed
 C volume, with only one program being worked on, takes up 2 meg.

* the editor is your basic mouse editor, i.e. you can't move the cursor with
 keyboard commands.

* converting a program to lightspeedC is non-trivial.  Especially watch out for
 characters, which are "signed" by default, and the stdio library.  If you do
 not choose "binary" file type, the output routines do things like convert
 \n to \r, which would wreak havoc with non textual data.

* programs are larger in lightspeedC.  (probably because less optimization
 is done).

* no inline assembly.  Can't look at the assembly code that is produced without
 the MDS system.

 SUMMARY:

 If you haven't tried it, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.  I think
 that the program I wrote would have taken half the time, and half the
 aggravation, if I had done it originally in LightspeedC.