[net.micro.mac] HFS again

paul@fcstools.UUCP (Paul Perkins) (05/20/86)

MacPaint 1.5 and MacDraw 1.9 can't seem to find the clipboard/scrap
under HFS if they are not on the startup volume (the one with the system
file and Finder on it).  Paint complains on every cut/copy/paste, Draw
only when you exit.  Workaround is of course to put the silly things
on the silly startup volume.  This is with 128k ROM 512k RAM, Paradise
Mac 10 w/ version "2.5" software, System 3.1.1, Finder 5.2.

BTW, the Paradrive works fine, but seems no faster than the new 800k
floppy drive.

-- Paul Perkins
uucp: your guess is as good as mine
genie: AM-WEB
quote: "It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole." - Laurie Anderson

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (05/21/86)

In article <113@fcstools.UUCP> paul@fcstools.UUCP (Paul Perkins) writes:
> MacPaint 1.5 and MacDraw 1.9 can't seem to find the clipboard/scrap
> under HFS if they are not on the startup volume (the one with the system
> file and Finder on it).  Paint complains on every cut/copy/paste, Draw
> only when you exit.  Workaround is of course to put the silly things
> on the silly startup volume.  This is with 128k ROM 512k RAM, Paradise
> Mac 10 w/ version "2.5" software, System 3.1.1, Finder 5.2.

This seems to be a special case of a more general problem.
MacPaint drops cut/copies on the floor for me, and MacDraw complains
that I have "insufficient disk space" to preserve the clipboard outside
of MacDraw, on my Mac+ running the old system/finder with a 512K startup
ramdisk and everything else on 800K MFS disk.  Putting MacDraw
on the startup disk seems to solve my problem, but I haven't tried to
find a solution to the MacPaint problem yet, given my frequency of
use of MacPaint and the existence of the C&E "Billboard" program.

Possible Causes:

It is rumored that the new Scrap Manager forces the disk desk scrap
to be always on the startup volume.  Things that expect it to be on
the current volume, and then do things like check for disk space on the
current volume, may decide that there isn't enough.  This problem would
be compounded (and lead to the observed symptoms) if both MacDraw and
MacPaint "knew" that disks are always 400K big.

Confirming evidence is that MacDraw seems to behave just fine when there's
more than 400K free on my 800k disk.

Only fixes I can think of, if this is indeed the case, are to junk MacPaint,
which already violates the User Interface Std. in about 5 million ways anyway,
and to persuade Apple to fix MacDraw, which is about due for an upgrade
anyway.

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart