[net.micro.mac] Finder 5.2 bug. Sort by size bomb.

larryh@tekcbi.UUCP (05/10/86)

A co-worker of mine came to me the other day complaining that his Mac+ bombs
when he tries to put a file into a folder.  After a little experimentation,
we were able to reproduce the problem as follows:

	1.  Use sort by size.
	2.  Have more files than will fit in the window e.g. scroll bar active.
	3.  Make an empty folder.  Since we are sorting by size, it will be
	    at the bottom of the window.
	4.  Drag a file from the current window into the new folder.
	5.  Boom!

A quickie guess would be that the sorting algorithm recurses off the end
of the stack (hold it, did I just verbize a noun? (hold it, did I just verbize
a another noun? yes.) yes. )

Larry Hutchinson, Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 02-305, Beaverton, OR 97077
{ decvax,allegra }!tektronix!tekcbi!larryh

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (05/22/86)

In article <691@tekcbi.UUCP> version B 2.10.1 6/24/83 (MC840302); site mcvax.UUCP mcvax!seismo!lll-crg!lll-lcc!ucdavis!ucbvax!hplabs!tektronix!tekgen!tekcbi!larryh larryh@tekcbi.UUCP writes:
   >A co-worker of mine came to me the other day complaining that his Mac+ bombs
   >when he tries to put a file into a folder.  After a little experimentation,
   >we were able to reproduce the problem as follows:
   >
   >	1.  Use sort by size.
   >	2.  Have more files than will fit in the window e.g. scroll bar active.
   >	3.  Make an empty folder.  Since we are sorting by size, it will be
   >	    at the bottom of the window.
   >	4.  Drag a file from the current window into the new folder.
   >	5.  Boom!

Well, I tried this one, and I didn't even reach point 4!!
	I opened a Folder.
	Did a sort by size.
	Shortened the window, to get a scroll bar.
	Selected New Folder in the File menu, and ...

Nothing! I can still move the cursor, but the File menu remains highlighted
and the Mac doesn't respond on anything anymore.
When I restarted  my Mac+, I noticed that the specific Folder was still in
'by Size' format, WITH an Empty Folder listed at the bottum, and the Folder
had it's original size, that is: no scroll bar showing.

I use Finder 5.2, System 3.1.1.
--

               Frank
                                                                      ___