[net.micro.mac] TeX for the Mac?

matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) (05/06/86)

I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Matthews
matthews@harvard

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (05/06/86)

>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jim Matthews

Funny you should ask, Addison-Wesley called me yesterday and asked
me if I would like to be on their mailing list for their new MacTeX
product. Get in touch with them, no idea yet what release dates are.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

jeff@mcnc.UUCP (Jeffrey Copeland) (05/07/86)

In article <925@harvard.UUCP> matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) writes:
>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.  It was ported by Kellerman & Smith, and will be available
from Addison-Wesley early 3rd quarter this year.

mazlack@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (05/09/86)

In article <925@harvard.UUCP> matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) writes:
>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Addison-Wesley (the book publisher) is supposed to be about to do this.

Larry Mazlack
mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (05/23/86)

In article <567@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>>I was wondering if there is a Macintosh version of TeX availible
>>anywhere.  Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Jim Matthews
>
>Funny you should ask, Addison-Wesley called me yesterday and asked
>me if I would like to be on their mailing list for their new MacTeX
>product. Get in touch with them, no idea yet what release dates are.
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

In the latest issue of Colophon (an Adobe Systems News Publication) there
were two entries under a list of software supporting PostScript:

	TeX for the Macintosh
	FTL Systems, Inc.
	234 Eglinton Ave. East #205
	Toronto Ontario M4P 1K5
	(416) 487-2142

	Macintosh TeX
	Kellerman & Smith
	534 SW 3rd Street
	Portland OR 97204
	(503) 222-4234

I have no idea what these product/companies are (but I would like to
know)!

To change topics. Can anyone give me details on connecting an IBM-PC
to the Apple LaserWriter. I have Personal TeX  (pcTEX) for my IBM and
Textset's DVILASER/PS a TeX to PostScript printer driver for use
on the IBM-PC but I wasn't given any info on the necessary cable! ????

HELP.........and thanks.

rae@unicus.UUCP (Reid) (05/25/86)

In article <391@water.UUCP> phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) writes:

>In the latest issue of Colophon (an Adobe Systems News Publication) there
>were two entries under a list of software supporting PostScript:
>
>	TeX for the Macintosh
>	FTL Systems, Inc.
>	234 Eglinton Ave. East #205
>	Toronto Ontario M4P 1K5
>	(416) 487-2142
>
>	Macintosh TeX
>	Kellerman & Smith
>	534 SW 3rd Street
>	Portland OR 97204
>	(503) 222-4234
>
>I have no idea what these product/companies are (but I would like to
>know)!

Ok, I think I can tell you some.  THe first company listed (FTL Systems) has
a version of TeX for the Macintosh which will be called "MacTeX" (this means
that neither Kellerman & Smith nor anyone else will be calling theirs that).
  This is a full implimentation of TeX which passes the "TeX Torture Test".
It comes with a built-in editor.  I'll post more info as I get it..
--
I have no conection with FTL except that a friend of mine writes the software
made there  :-)