[net.micro.mac] Packit + BinhHex; All in one; Is that possible?

zabetia@princeton.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetia) (05/07/86)

Why doesn't the author of packit include a binhexing procedure in his program
so only one application would be needed to send files?  Is that possible or am
I missing something??
Thanks,
			-Mahboud Zabetian
			...!princeton!zabetia

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/24/86)

In article <1283@princeton.UUCP> zabetia@princeton.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:

>Why doesn't the author of packit include a binhexing procedure in his program
>so only one application would be needed to send files?  Is that possible or am
>I missing something??

What you are missing is the fact that outside of Usenet, the BinHex 4
encoding mechanism is obsolete, and unused. All the newer terminal emulators
including MacTerminal 2.0, Red Ryder, Freeterm  have a built in encoding
scheme called MacBinary. So encoding is not required in the packing program.

The reason it is not used on Usenet is that it is a full 8-bit binary
encoding scheme, where BinHex 4 is a binary to ascii encoding scheme.
Only ASCII is guarenteed for Usenet mail paths, thus Usenet, the frontier,
for once remains behind the rest of the world.

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (05/28/86)

> What you are missing is the fact that outside of Usenet, the BinHex 4
> encoding mechanism is obsolete, and unused.  All the newer terminal
> emulators including MacTerminal 2.0, Red Ryder, Freeterm have a built in
> encoding scheme called MacBinary.  So encoding is not required in the
> packing program.

Is this format documented anywhere?  I am presently working on an
application where I need to convert a Macintosh file into a plain "flat"
file. (Well, actually I'm not working on it at the moment, while I decide
what is the best way to do the above... otherwise you'd have it already!)
In my application (Lempel-Ziv compression) the contents of the file are
unimportant; it needs to be treated just as the string of bytes that make
it up.

What I really wish is that the Macintosh toolbox included a "linear open"
mode for files, where you could read sequentially from a file open in this
mode and get, in turn, the finder information, the data fork, and the
resource fork; and writing in this mode would create those in turn (so
that writing and reading were inverses).  This would be really helpful
for a variety of applications where you want to take a Macintosh file and
transmit it in a linear fashion.
--
E. Roskos