[net.micro.mac] Mac+ Interrupt Switch

barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) (05/12/86)

When I first got my Mac+ a month ago, I was usually able to use the
Interrupt switch to go into the mini debugger, although I didn't know
any useful commands at the time.  Now I have read some useful commands,
but the switch is no longer working properly.  When I push the Interrupt
switch the machine just freezes, and the mini debugger window is not
displayed.

Does anyone else have this trouble?
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (05/15/86)

In article <1941@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) writes:

> When I push the Interrupt
> switch the machine just freezes, and the mini debugger window is not
> displayed.

There has been commentary on this before but had never happened to me until
last night--I nearly had a heart attach!!  The 16 page document (that, of
course, was not backed to to floppy) was due today.  *ARGH*  The machine
would not boot--only a blank black screen.  Fortunately, I checked the
interrupt switch which was stuck in its depressed position.  Evidently,
the "programmer's switch" does not fit the new case properly and sticks.
One would think that if Apple had not redesigned this feature, they at least
would have made their existing implementation usable.

--
--------------------
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4 | hplabs | psivax}!csun!dlt

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (05/21/86)

> > When I push the Interrupt switch the machine just freezes,
> > and the mini debugger window is not displayed.
>
> last night--I nearly had a heart attach!!  Fortunately, I checked the
> interrupt switch which was stuck in its depressed position.  Evidently,
> the "programmer's switch" does not fit the new case properly and sticks.
> One would think that if Apple had not redesigned this feature, they at least
> would have made their existing implementation usable.

When my interrupt switch started sticking, I sought and found an excellent
alternative: a toothpick, and a scribed line on the Mac's case to mark the
boundary between "interrupt" and "reset".  It's cheap, it's reliable, and
you can chew on it when things are going wrong...

bart@reed.UUCP (05/28/86)

In article <811@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) writes:

> When my interrupt switch started sticking, I sought and found an excellent
> alternative: a toothpick, and a scribed line on the Mac's case to mark the
> boundary between "interrupt" and "reset".  It's cheap, it's reliable, and
> you can chew on it when things are going wrong...

We successfully "fixed" a programmer's switch for the Mac+ by trimming a
*very* tiny bit off the end with an exacto knife.  *BIG DISCLAIMER* -- I
will take *NO* responsibility for your ruining your own programmer's switch.
But it worked for us... :-)

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart