[net.micro.mac] printer problem

klinger@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/13/86)

I've been having a problem with the Image Writer printer.
Standard continuours feed computer paper works fine up to a
point in outputing a long text.  But at the eleventh page the
printer hangs up.  When I check out the problem (printer not
reponding error msg appears on mac) the only thing wrong is that
the holes are no longer on the sprockets.

Has anyone had something similar happen?  Does anyone have an
idea what should be done so I can print the twenty-page file in
its entirety?

briand@tekig4.UUCP (05/14/86)

>I've been having a problem with the Image Writer printer.
>Standard continuours feed computer paper works fine up to a
>point in outputing a long text.  But at the eleventh page the
>printer hangs up.  When I check out the problem (printer not
>reponding error msg appears on mac) the only thing wrong is that
>the holes are no longer on the sprockets.

You probably have the friction (typewriter style) feed on.  On the left side
of the TOP of the IW, you will find a lever with perhaps cryptic markings.  One
of the markings, the one toward the rear of the IW, shows pin-fed paper.  Moving
the lever the other way tightens the rollers against the platen to feed paper
like a typewriter.  The two feed methods are incompatible, as you are finding
out.

I do not know the location of the eqivalent control for the IW II, but you can
be sure there is one.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

stephenw@murdu.OZ (Stephen Withers) (05/15/86)

> I've been having a problem with the Image Writer printer.
> Standard continuours feed computer paper works fine up to a
> point in outputing a long text.  But at the eleventh page the
> printer hangs up.  When I check out the problem (printer not
> reponding error msg appears on mac) the only thing wrong is that
> the holes are no longer on the sprockets.

This sounds like what happens if you use tractor feed paper with the
friction feed engaged.  Check the position of the lever.

Stephen Withers,
Microcomputer Support Group, University Computing Services,
The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia.

ACSnet: stephenw@murdu
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!munnari!murdu.oz!stephenw
ARPA:	munnari!murdu.oz!stephenw@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	stephenw%murdu@munnari.oz

"The only thing I ever learned from experience was that I just made another
mistake."

eric@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Eric Fielding) (06/01/86)

Summary:tractor feed problems on printer

Theory Center, Cornell University, Ithaca NY:

In article <338@murdu.OZ> stephenw@murdu.OZ (Stephen Withers) writes:
>> I've been having a problem with the Image Writer printer.
>> Standard continuours feed computer paper works fine up to a
>> point in outputing a long text.  But at the eleventh page the
>> printer hangs up.  When I check out the problem (printer not
>> reponding error msg appears on mac) the only thing wrong is that
>> the holes are no longer on the sprockets.
>>
>This sounds like what happens if you use tractor feed paper with the
>friction feed engaged.  Check the position of the lever.
>
>Stephen Withers,

I have noticed that sometimes when the friction feed/tractor feed
lever is in the tractor feed position (on my IMAGEWRITER II) that
the friction feed is still engaged.  The solution seems to be to
snap the lever sharply into the traction feed position, to fully
disengage the friction feed and allow the paper to feed right.

Eric Fielding
Dept. Geol. Sci
Cornell Univ.
Ithaca, NY