[net.micro.mac] Loads and loads of SCSI drives for Mac+ -- Which to choose?

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (05/22/86)

Well, I decided that making my own 20 Meg hard drive system for the Mac+
wasn't worth the $250 difference it takes to buy the whole shebang outright
from one of the third-party companies offering external hard drives for
Mac+s.  So I picked up the latest issue of MacWorld and BOOM!  An article
listing about 8 different companies offering these things!

The two 20-Meg external SCSI hard drives I've heard mentioned for the Mac+
is the SuperMac Dataframe and the MDIdeas-20.  Anyone have recommendations
for or against these suckers?  Or for any other external drives?  The
opinions would be appreciated...

         "The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those
          who make empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that
          mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the
          spirit and confine man in the bonds of Hell."
                                 -- St. Augustine

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
UUCP:
                             {princeton,ulysses}!allegra -\
                                       {decwrl,qubix}!sun -\
                   {akgua,gatech,harpo,purdue,uf-crgl}!sb6 -\
{cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver -- !fluke!moriarty
                                  {hplabs,nbires}!lbl-csam -/
               {microsoft,ssc-vax,telmatic,tikal,uw-vlsi} -/
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

6036792@pucc.BITNET (Kenneth Menken) (05/23/86)

<moriarty@fluke.UUCP> (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>The two 20-Meg external SCSI hard drives I've heard mentioned for the Mac+
>is the SuperMac Dataframe and the MDIdeas-20.  Anyone have recommendations
>for or against?...

The MagNet20x external SCSI drive from Mirror Technologies is supposed to
be quite good - it comes free with MacServe, but is still cheaper than the
Dataframe.

The Photon 20 from Warp 9 is another good one - it looks a lot like the
MagNet, which is a hint that both are made by the same drive company.
The advantage of the Warp 9:  price.  $795 is the cheapest I've seen for
any 20 meg drive, from anyone - including discount houses like MacConnection
and Programs Plus.

I don't have addresses for either, but Warp 9 is at (800)328-6795 ex. 433
And unlike what I've heard about MDIdeas, neither of these is vaporware.

Ken Menken
Princeton U.
<Disclaimer:  Few Universities care what their students think>

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/02/86)

In article <220@colossus.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Well, I decided that making my own 20 Meg hard drive system for the Mac+
>wasn't worth the $250 difference it takes to buy the whole shebang outright
>from one of the third-party companies offering external hard drives for
>Mac+s.  So I picked up the latest issue of MacWorld and BOOM!  An article
>listing about 8 different companies offering these things!

I saw that little article too, frankly I was surprised that there were only
8 makers listed.  A recent article in Mini-Micro systems included over
20 makers including SyQuest and Kodak removable drives, prices ranged from
$800 for a 20 MB drive to $5000 for a 300 MB drive all with SCSI interfaces.
Also available were some QIC tape drives, and some WORMs, also with SCSI.

It appears that the MAC-Plus driver routines are quite sufficient for
virtually all of the SCSI drives now on the market.  It won't be long
before there are literally hundreds of choices available for the MAC.
It's probably just a matter of advertizers catching up with the 3 month
lead time of the popular magazines.  I'm sure there were more than a few
companies caught by suprise by the MAC+ announcements.

IBM, eat your heart out :-).

P.S.  Take a look at the May and June BYTE articles by Ciarcia to see
just how flexible the SCSI interface really is.