[net.micro.mac] undocumented shortcuts

sam@cci632.UUCP (Sam Mantel) (05/13/86)

 This is a short suggestion for the recent articles describing a need
 for a way to turn command key shortcuts on and off.

  I would like to put in my vote for "command-option-shift-S" to turn
  shortcuts on and off.

Sam Mantel -- Roch, NY

"May the bird of paradise avoid the hood of your car."

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (05/22/86)

In article <103@cci632.UUCP> sam@cci632.UUCP writes:

   >  I would like to put in my vote for "command-option-shift-S" to turn
   >  shortcuts on and off.

I don't think we should have one short-cut to put the beasties on AND off.
That way you would have to know what the current status is, on or off.

Besides, this should not be a short-cut, it should be a menu item in the
File menu for instance.

--

               Frank
                                                                      ___

db@cbosgd.UUCP (Deceased Bird) (05/24/86)

Before this discussion goes too much further, I'd like to clarify
one point (since I brought it up).  (Paste in :-) where appropriate.)

What I had in mind for "shortcuts" to be turned on and off was
not so much the cmd-key type quickies of the ilk listed on
the File (or other) menu(s), but the kind of thing where, for
a particular program, a sequence like cmd-shift-option-backspace-
stand_on_your_head unplugs the Mac and puts it back in the box
because the programmer who wrote it found the feature useful.

To those who said "the shortcuts are in the Mac+ manual": that's
fine, but it doesn't cover every program-specific hack/kludge/
fine_and_useful_feature (or does it?  Does Apple know something
the Rest Of Us don't?).

To the poster who asked for an example of a "dangerous shortcut":
I can't think of any catatrophic examples in any of the programs
I own, but I do find some of the option-key sequences for special/
foreign characters annoying if I stumble into them in MacWrite and
don't know what I typed.  (They're a godsend when I really need
them, though.)

So, I wasn't thinking of shortcuts in the narrow sense, I was
including things_there's_no_other_way_to_do (like screen dumps,
etc.).

Any scheme to turn things on and off should be simple to operate
and consistent under as many circumstances as possible.  And, of
course, it should be goof-proof (i.e., safe in the hands of an
experienced programmer).

You may now resume (with or without accents) the discussion.

db

I'm pinin' for the fjords.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/27/86)

> In article <103@cci632.UUCP> sam@cci632.UUCP writes:
>    >
>    >  I would like to put in my vote for "command-option-shift-S" to turn
>    >  shortcuts on and off.
>    >
> I don't think we should have one short-cut to put the beasties on AND off.
> That way you would have to know what the current status is, on or off.
>
> Besides, this should not be a short-cut, it should be a menu item in the
> File menu for instance.
>
> --
>
>                Frank

But what happens if there is one shortcut that you like and another shortcut
that you don't like.  Maybe we should have command keys to turn on and off
individual shortcuts!

C'mon guys.  If you don't like the shortcuts, don't use them.  I do agree
they should be documented, somewhere.  Maybe Apple should stick them in the
"About" window?
--
"No white waves on an ocean..."                              Peter Merchant

bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) (05/27/86)

> > In article <103@cci632.UUCP> sam@cci632.UUCP writes:
> >    >
> >    >  I would like to put in my vote for "command-option-shift-S" to turn
> >    >  shortcuts on and off.
> >    >
> > I don't think we should have one short-cut to put the beasties on AND off.
> > That way you would have to know what the current status is, on or off.
> >
> > Besides, this should not be a short-cut, it should be a menu item in the
> > File menu for instance.
> >
> > --
> >
> >                Frank
>

> But what happens if there is one shortcut that you like and another shortcut
> that you don't like.  Maybe we should have command keys to turn on and off
> individual shortcuts!
>
> C'mon guys.  If you don't like the shortcuts, don't use them.  I do agree
> they should be documented, somewhere.  Maybe Apple should stick them in the
> "About" window?
> --
> "No white waves on an ocean..."                              Peter Merchant

Here here!
        I like to use shourtcuts because it speeds up my work incredibly.
I don't think that they need to be deactivated in any way either.  They
are all situated so that you won't accidently hit one so if you don't
want to use them you just don't use them.  Very simple.

   On another note: I just pulled down PlaySoundandInit and I don't
have the instructions for its use.  Could someone send me the old posting
from thier archives or just send me a note ?  Thanks.

                                                          Chris

edusoft@utecfa.UUCP (Educational Software Inc.) (05/28/86)

Am I missing something here, or what ???????
I thought that it was a joke to suggest that you have a command key
sequence to turn off another command key "macro".
If command key sequences are going to be turned on and off shouldn't
that be done through menu items.

A command key sequence would be faster :-)

sam@cci632.UUCP (Sam Mantel) (06/05/86)

In article <1840@utecfa.UUCP>, edusoft@utecfa.UUCP (Educational Software Inc.) writes:

> Am I missing something here, or what ???????
> I thought that it was a joke to suggest that you have a command key
> sequence to turn off another command key "macro".

 No.  You are not missing anything at all.  The suggestion I made that
 command-option-shift-s be used to turn shortcuts on and off was indeed
 meant only to elicit a few giggles.  Thanx for noticing!