[net.micro.mac] PICT format and plotter drivers

kratz@calgary.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) (06/09/86)

2 questions:

1. What is or where can I find the format of the Picture type. Inside Mac
merely states that it is a compact representation of the commands for the
picture, but that doesn't explain it much. (IM Vol I Page 158).

2. Are there any drivers for pen plotters available? If so, where?

Thanks in advance

Geoff Kratz

...!{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!kratz

Me? An opinion? Nah! I NEVER have opinions. Even if I did,
what would I do with the thing?

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (06/11/86)

In article <180@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> kratz@calgary.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) writes:
>1. What is or where can I find the format of the Picture type. Inside Mac
>merely states that it is a compact representation of the commands for the
>picture, but that doesn't explain it much. (IM Vol I Page 158).

See Macintosh Technical Note #21.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

bart@reed.UUCP (06/11/86)

In article <180@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> kratz@calgary.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) writes:
> What is or where can I find the format of the Picture type. Inside Mac
> merely states that it is a compact representation of the commands for the
> picture, but that doesn't explain it much. (IM Vol I Page 158).

There is a Tech Note (whose number I don't have handy) which describes
picture representation.  In general, there are few surprises.  It is
considered bad form to depend on the format of picture information, as
it may change.  Better, if you can, to drive the plotter by replaying the
picture with your own code in the QuickDraw bottlenecks...  BTW, yes,
commercial plotter drivers do exist -- just can't think of the company
name right now...  (hope all this non-information is useful to someone :-).

				Bart Massey
				..tektronix!reed!bart