[net.micro.mac] Multiplan 1.1 Update - Problems with Crashes

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (06/09/86)

I have recently received Microsoft's "upgrade" for Multiplan.  This is
version 1.1.  I has some nice features, like zooming windows, added functions,
general font selection, two windows, but I have had crashes with it like
I NEVER had with old Multiplan 1.0.

The problems seems to occur after twenty minutes or so of entering data and
then when I try to save it I SOMETIMES get an ID=2 error (Address Error).  This
corrupts the file and then I get ID=25 (out of memory - hard to believe on a
512k running good 'ol 128k multiplan) and crash!  The ID=2 error also occurs
at random times after entering alot of data.  I run w/o auto-recalc and the
errors don't seem to be specific to those times when the recalc is performed.

I am really getting upset with losing hours of work and after suffering with
Microsoft's joke of a database (File) I am not enjoying their latest
batch of bug-bitten software.  Can anyone help by providing an explanation?

I thought about getting an upgrade to Excel, but I can't stand the thought
of giving those guys one more dime - unless the problem can be rectified.

Configuration:

Mac 512k
HFS in RAM (=> HD 20 Startup)
Paradise Mac 10

Anybody from Microsoft out there listening?

Steve Leeke
Leeke@su-cascade.arpa
---------------------
Upset?  Me?  What gives you that idea?  I was ONLY entering data for two hours
when it crashed.

shebanow@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Shebanow) (06/09/86)

For, what it is worth, the crashes are NOT Microsoft's fault. The system that
was shipped with the Multiplan update (3.1, I believe), had a memory
management bug which would crash Multiplan in exactly the way you described.

To fix this problem, get a copy of Finder 5.2, System 3.1.1, and the companion
HD20 file, and put them on your Multiplan disk. Better yet, wait a week or two
for a dealer (or a friend) to get you System 3.2.

Good luck...

Andy

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (06/10/86)

In article <14250@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> shebanow@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Mike Shebanow) writes:

>For, what it is worth, the crashes are NOT Microsoft's fault. The system that
>was shipped with the Multiplan update (3.1, I believe), had a memory
>management bug which would crash Multiplan in exactly the way you described.
>
>To fix this problem, get a copy of Finder 5.2, System 3.1.1, and the companion
>HD20 file, and put them on your Multiplan disk. Better yet, wait a week or two
>for a dealer (or a friend) to get you System 3.2.
>
>Good luck...
>
>Andy

But I AM running system 3.1.1 and Finder 5.2 and the latest HD20 I could find.
If system 3.3 and finder 5.3 will fix things I guess I will have to wait.  I
am running off the Mac 10 and w/ the upgrade Multiplan 1.1 the HD install
utility means that Multiplan NEVER should see the system it was shipped
with.  The bombs occur w/ the 3.1.1 system.

Still at a loss for a explanation,

Steve Leeke
leeke@cascade.stanford.edu

tim@ism780c.UUCP (06/11/86)

In article <14250@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> shebanow@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Mike Shebanow) writes:

>For, what it is worth, the crashes are NOT Microsoft's fault. The system that
>was shipped with the Multiplan update (3.1, I believe), had a memory
>management bug which would crash Multiplan in exactly the way you described.

It was claimed on Compuserve that the only difference between System 3.1
and System 3.1.1 is the lock bit ( I think that is the one ) is on for
pack 6 in 3.1, and off for pack 6 on 3.1.1.  If this is true, ResEdit is
all one needs to fix System 3.1.

[ I think it was pack 6... ]

I am not sure that I believe this, since my one copy of 3.1 had the bit
off, as did 3.1.1.

> Better yet, wait a week or two for a dealer (or a friend) to get
> you System 3.2.

If you are in a hurry, and are on Compuserve, System 3.2 and Finder 5.(one
greater then the current one) are going to be uploaded to macdev any day
now.
--
Tim Smith               sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim

phil@sivax.UUCP (06/12/86)

> I have recently received Microsoft's "upgrade" for Multiplan.  This is
> version 1.1.  I has some nice features, like zooming windows, added functions,
> general font selection, two windows, but I have had crashes with it like
> I NEVER had with old Multiplan 1.0.
>
> The problems seems to occur after twenty minutes or so of entering data and
> then when I try to save it I SOMETIMES get an ID=2 error (Address Error).  This
> corrupts the file and then I get ID=25 (out of memory - hard to believe on a
> 512k running good 'ol 128k multiplan) and crash!  The ID=2 error also occurs
> at random times after entering alot of data.  I run w/o auto-recalc and the
> errors don't seem to be specific to those times when the recalc is performed.

ID -25 sometimes means 'Trying to remove an OPEN driver'.  I seem to get it
alot on my 1 meg mac using HFS in ROMS sometimes, probably a system bug.

Phil Hunt

dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (06/13/86)

> > Better yet, wait a week or two for a dealer (or a friend) to get
> > you System 3.2.
> If you are in a hurry, and are on Compuserve, System 3.2 and Finder 5.(one
> greater then the current one) are going to be uploaded to macdev any day
> now.
I downloaded both System and Finder last night.  It took around 1 hour 45
minutes using MacTerminal v2.0 at 1200 baud.  There were no instructions as
to how to do the download, but setting MacTerminal to MacBinary mode did
the trick (one could also have used straight XMODEM, but I'm not sure that
the result would have been desireable).  After installing them, things still
seem to work ok, though I hardly did an exhaustive test.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4 | hplabs | psivax}!csun!dlt