[net.micro.mac] 512 Keyboard Woes

jeff@lpi.UUCP (06/13/86)

In article <5150@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) writes:

> ... Much discussion about keyboard problems related to:
>the service guy here muttered something about some chip going south on the
>board.  I don't think the problem would have much to do with dust or actual
>wear, since mine did the same thing after only two months.

I had a different keyboard problem - I broke a key.  A small piece of
plastic broke off in my "v" key, causing it intermittently emit a
stream of v's until another key was pressed.

I called at least a dozen places in the Boston area, getting estimates
for repairs.  They ranged from $30 to $75 to fix the stupid key.
(In a fast "two weeks", on average.)  Only one would SELL me just the
key, and they charged me $10.  It took a friend with a good soldering
iron less than 5 minutes to make the switch.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of these switches at a
reasonable price (like $1 - $2 that they are really worth)?  Does
anyone know any place (at all) where the service people charge a
reasonable rate for that kind of minor repair, rather than the highway
robbery that goes on around here?  Are all places that repair machines
so brain-damaged that they would rather let me pay someone else for a new
keyboard than them for a simple fix?

					Disgusted in Boston
					Jeff Diewald