[net.micro.mac] How to fix trashed Desktop file?

clyde@ut-ngp.UUCP (Head UNIX Hacquer) (06/09/86)

Any MacWizard know how to repair a trashed Desktop file?  Finder goes
completly west when I put the disk in, but Fedit (and other applications)
says all the files are there.  I have tried getting Finder
to rebuild the desktop, but that fails also.

The crash is spectacular - it looks like Finder starts to put up a
alert box of some kind then goes beserk, twiddling the screen, sound chip
and serial chips (at this point I manually eject the disks and watch the fun).

I am using System 2.2 and Finder 4.1 on a pre-HFS 512K.
--
Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots @ Univ. of Texas Computation Center; Austin, Texas
	clyde@ngp.cc.utexas.edu; ...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!clyde

"The world ended Tuesday - Don't Ask Questions" - Zippy

baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) (06/17/86)

Simple delete the file from ResEdit with clear command. When you exit, the
Finder doesn't find DeskTop on the disk in question, and makes one.

				jason (baron@runx.oz)

othello@tesla.UUCP (Mystery) (06/20/86)

In a recent article clyde@ut-ngp.UUCP (Head UNIX Hacquer) wrote:

>The crash is spectacular - it looks like Finder starts to put up a
>alert box of some kind then goes beserk, twiddling the screen, sound chip
>and serial chips (at this point I manually eject the disks and watch the fun).
>
>I am using System 2.2 and Finder 4.1 on a pre-HFS 512K.
>--
>Shouter-To-Dead-Parrots @ Univ. of Texas Computation Center; Austin, Texas
>	clyde@ngp.cc.utexas.edu; ...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!clyde
>
>"The world ended Tuesday - Don't Ask Questions" - Zippy

	Have you tried removing the file called desktop with fedit, or
mactools? If not, that will solve your problem. If the finder sees a
"desktop" file it will try and read it, and this can cause crashes.
If there is no desktop file the finder will create one, and use
"unnamed#x" for each folder, the individual file names will still
be the same though.  It is also possible that the directory sectors
of your disk are trashed, in which case the files are basically lost.
But you can extract the data in them with fedit.

			-Michael Culbert