[net.micro.mac] Orphaned Response

spector@acf4.UUCP (12/20/84)

Apple has done quite a few things right.  I agree it would have been nice to
see the Apple assembler out on time, etc. but I'd rather see it out LATE and
working that out ON TIME and buggy.  After all, we don't want another IBM-PC
(*Bleeeeccchh!*) fiasco wherein the machine couldn't add 1+2 and get an Integer.
  Do we??

spector@acf4.UUCP (12/21/84)

Chuq,

Well put.   I agree.  I like my Mac (also named Mac, - couldn't think of a
better one, but it certainly fits  ;-), and its a good machine.  I think that
the Mac flaming society is just a hair jealous that they didn't
[buy one|come up with it first|etc].

Enough flaming, we have real impoortant stuff to talk about.  So, any one have
good ideas for some fun desk accessories???

(BTW please send all flames to....the "Trash Can")

		Dave Spector, MacHacker.
		NYU/acf Systems Group
		ArpaNET: Spector@nyu-cmcl1.ARPA
		UUCPNet: ...allagra!cmcl2!cmcl1!spector

"The  opinions expressed are my own and Copyright (c) 1984-1985 by Me.
 So there!!"

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (02/17/85)

It is my impression that the SUMMac stuff is a little sloppy about
the signed/unsigned differences in general.  This was true of the
original release and I haven't checked the newer release.  I presume
this is because most of the pascal interfaces are also sloppy about
these differences.
  So... worry about the signs.		ben hyde

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (03/02/85)

    This is an excellent point.  I neglected to notice whether the other
    compilers used 16 or 32-bit integers.  Someone told me that the C
    standard stipulates that an integer's worth of bits must be able
    to span the entire address space.  I don't know about this.  Can
    someone comment?

The current documentation from AT&T, as well as good ole K&R, says that
the difference of two pointers is an int.  The new ANSI draft changes this
restriction so that it fits into some integral type, which is implementation
defined.  This is the only restriction I know of in regay|s to pointer-
integer restrictions.

This sounds like it would require 32 bit ints, but I'm not so sure.  The
various C standards all say that you are only allowed to subtract pointers
that point into a common array.  Isn't it the case that a contiguous
array on the Mac is limiteb to 32K?  If this is so, then 16 bit ints
work fine on the Mac.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Inc.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (05/22/85)

I suspect that you've discovered that SANE is very SLOW, but it
sure is ACCURATE.

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) (05/30/85)

In article <26700015@inmet.UUCP> bhyde@inmet.UUCP writes:

>I suspect that you've discovered that SANE is very SLOW, but it
>sure is ACCURATE.

NO!, actually SANE seems to be reasonably fast (Consulair C is what I used)
but your program can be slowed down dramatically if you insist on
casting everything to it's proper size within calculations.  This may be
good programming practice ( I don't know a compiler that will not do
this automatically), but Consulair C actually does all of it's calculation
in extended 80 bit precision.  If you then cast the ANSWER to the type you
desire you'll be in fat city sooner.--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 (408) 749-5806
 UUCPnet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
 Compuserve:	72415,1200

"... Don't sue me, I'm just the piano player!...."

fosler@inmet.UUCP (07/09/85)

  GCC has modified the Hyperdrive so that they no longer have to modiy the Mac
  motherborad to install a Hyperdrive.  The new system clamps onto the
  68000, allowing the Hyperdrive to be removed if need be.  If people are
  interested in the Hyperdrive but do not want to have the motherboard
  modify should look into this.

mike@smu (07/13/85)

I can't believe that I am reading comments praising MacTerminal.
Maybe I got the wrong version, like maybe the special broken version.
Is version 1.1 not the most recent?  Anyway, whatever I have crashes
with disturbing frequency (just starts beeping and beeping and
beeping...) and has a VERY hard time keeping track of its
configuration files.  There seems to be about a 50% chance of a config
file working; otherwise MacTerminal thinks that "the document has been
damaged".  I used the pre-release version (-0.15? something like that)
and found that it had problems printing selections, but on the whole
was much more reliable than the current version.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike

mike@smu (07/13/85)

I recall from talking with the guy who wrote Megaroids (which uses the
alternate screen) that the program has to re-launch itself upon
startup.  That's why it takes so long to get going.  Also, that's why
it won't work if its name is changed.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike

bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) (07/16/85)

> I can't believe that I am reading comments praising MacTerminal.
> Maybe I got the wrong version, like maybe the special broken version.
> Is version 1.1 not the most recent?

	Check with your dealer, from whom you *bought* it, to make sure that
you have a good copy.  1.1 is the most recent version, and I've had no
trouble with it.

> Anyway, whatever I have crashes
> with disturbing frequency (just starts beeping and beeping and
> beeping...)

	I've never seen this bug.  Are you perhaps setting 'repeat
controls' and then running off the edge of the screen in vi?

> and has a VERY hard time keeping track of its
> configuration files.  There seems to be about a 50% chance of a config
> file working; otherwise MacTerminal thinks that "the document has been
> damaged".

	The only way I've ever had it damage a document is if MacTerminal
is exited by any means other than an explicit quit, or the document is
edited by an editor.  This problem is common to all version I've seen of
MacTerm.

> I used the pre-release version (-0.15? something like that)
> and found that it had problems printing selections, but on the whole
> was much more reliable than the current version.
>
> Mike McNally		SMU
> mike@smu
> ...convex!smu!mike

	Feel free to keep using the pre-release, then!  IT has plenty of
bugs though.  Just don't badmouth a fine product like MacTerminal unless
you're SURE you know what you're saying.  Apparently you missed the
many articles in this group mentioning the damaged document problem...

			Bart Massey
			..tektronix!reed!bart

dee@cca.UUCP (Donald Eastlake) (07/22/85)

I don't have any particular problem with MacTerminal crashing but how do you
type a DEL at the remote host in it? (DEL= hex 7F= octal 177)
--
	+1 617-492-8860		Donald E. Eastlake, III
	ARPA:  dee@CCA-UNIX	usenet:	{decvax,linus}!cca!dee

whp@cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) (07/22/85)

I have macterminal 1.1 and it has never crashed!  It never has trouble reading
the config files either!  It works very well and my complaints deal with
the functionality of macterminal, not its performance.  I suggest if you
have a problem, it might be a bad disk or a dirty drive, or maybe a noisy
port!  Do you have trouble with any other terminal emulator program?  Try
something like mock-term or red ryder;  If these give the same problems, it
might not be macterminal's fault!

mike@smu (09/16/85)

Hi, this is me again (CONFUSED IN DALLAS).  Maybe I should describe my
problem more completely.  My application *does* launch, and works fine
up to a point.  The problem is, it tries to install itself as the
finder, launch another application, then (hopefully) get back.  Total
failure on this count.  This works just fine when the thing is run
normally (i.e., it manages to launch lots of applications in sequence
and keeps coming back).  I am pretty sure after looking at my code that
all the toolbox stuff is initialized.  Maybe there's something else
going on.

I realize that this is one of those things I'll have to figure out for
myself.  I just thought gee whiz maybe somebody had exactly the same
problem and has found some toolbox call

			MakeProgramWork(theBug, &theFix)

Oh well.  Megamax probably doesn't have an interface for that call
anyhow.

Mike McNally		SMU
mike@smu
...convex!smu!mike

steve@syne (12/01/85)

>I have been trying to communicate from my Mac at home with the UNIX 4.2
>system where I work.  I am using Red Ryder.  My Mac has 128K, and the modem...

I assume you are using Red Ryder V.6 in the VT-100 emulation mode.  I also
tried that and got strange results, so I canned RR and went back to good ole
MacTerminal.  Never had any problems VI-ing with it.  (I am doing that now,
in fact.)

				Steve Parker
				(infoswx,texsun)!syne!steve

tow@spar.UUCP (Rob F. Tow) (12/15/85)

>>I have been trying to communicate from my Mac at home with the UNIX 4.2
>>system where I work.  I am using Red Ryder.  My Mac has 128K, and the modem...
>
>I assume you are using Red Ryder V.6 in the VT-100 emulation mode.  I also
>tried that and got strange results, so I canned RR and went back to good ole
>MacTerminal.  Never had any problems VI-ing with it.  (I am doing that now,
>in fact.)

  If you are communicating with a BSD 4.2 system,  you would *love* the UW
terminal program  -  it gives up to seven virtual terminals at once,
resizable, which may be independently managed as adm31,  vt52,  or tek4010
devices.  Cut and paste between windows is supported  -  it is the next best
thing to a SUN workstation.  I use it from home extensively for programming,
editing, reading usenet, etc  -  and I can see 3d surfaces on a graphics
window!  I log into one of our UNIX computers,  and then send windows off
to other systems on our local area network...  to my color SUN,  a DEC 20 for
mail and ARPA feed, VAX for usenet.
  UW is a free (but copywrited) set of host and mac software by John Brunner
of Lawrence Livermore Labs  -  and has been posted on the usenet.  Did your
sites not receive it?  (two versions have been posted  -  the one I am
describing is the second,  *much* more powerful one).

rec@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier) (12/17/85)

In article <1600003@syne> steve@syne writes:

>>I have been trying to communicate from my Mac at home with the UNIX 4.2
>>system where I work.  I am using Red Ryder.  My Mac has 128K, and the modem...
>
>I assume you are using Red Ryder V.6 in the VT-100 emulation mode.  I also
>tried that and got strange results, so I canned RR and went back to good ole
>MacTerminal.  Never had any problems VI-ing with it.  (I am doing that now,
>in fact.)

Use the VT-52 emulation until the VT-100 is fixed. RedRyder 6.0C works fine
in VT-100 emulation so if you can get the earlier version that too is a
solution.

--

	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec

callen@ada-uts.UUCP (01/10/86)

>Has anyone (except Shulman @ Rutgers) received the December supplement?
>I'm still waiting for my copy, and Apple's had my $25 for six weeks now..
>
>--
>Ephraim Vishniac

WHAT December supplement? You mean like the old Software Supplement that
I subscribed to when I got the "3-ring binder" version of Inside Mac?
Why haven't I heard about it?

-- Jerry Callen
   {ima,ihnp4}!inmet!ada-uts!callen
   (617) 576-3266

P.S. Anybody out there expect Apple to REALLY publish Inside Mac? I've
     given up...

dec@hpcnoe.UUCP (01/15/86)

We do not have the UW software package here at our site.  How about
posting some information on how to obtain this software.  It sounds
great!

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (01/22/86)

> WHAT December supplement? You mean like the old Software Supplement that
> I subscribed to when I got the "3-ring binder" version of Inside Mac?
> Why haven't I heard about it?
>
> -- Jerry Callen
>    {ima,ihnp4}!inmet!ada-uts!callen
>    (617) 576-3266
>
> P.S. Anybody out there expect Apple to REALLY publish Inside Mac? I've
>      given up...

Inside Mac is now available from Addison Wesley and should be available in
your local bookstores.  Check Words Worth or the Harvard Coop.  It is published
as three soft cover volumes for a total of $70 or as one hard cover volume for
$80.

The "Software Supplement" mailings stopped in May.  The December software
supplement is available from Apple's mailing facility for $25 and includes
the HFS programmers package, a new 133 page File Manager Chapter, and
a couple of other disks.

You should also subscribe to Apple's Technical Notes ($20) to be sure to get
copies of them every month.

lindahl@ti-csl (03/19/86)

[*** LINE EATER ***]

In article <9501@ucla-cs.ARPA>, art@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
> Ive encountered a strange problem with MacDraw.  The application
> has gotten broken and cannot print a file.  A print request
> terminates with a dialog box saying "Cannot print the file"
> (not the exact words).  Does anybody know what is going on?

We discovered the same problem when using MacDraw; perusal of the manual
didn't yield any clues.

We finally determined (via concentrated hacking around) that the problem
was size dependent (i.e., subsets of the original file worked); it turned
out that there was not enough space on the "master" disk (the disk in the
main CPU cabinet). Deleting some files on the master disk solved the
problem.

Hope this helps...anybody know of a place where this "feature" is documented?

Charlie Lindahl
Texas Instruments (CRL/CSL)

ARPA:  lindahl%TI-CSL@CSNet-Relay
UUCP:  {convex!smu, texsun, ut-sally, rice} ! tilde ! lindahl

DISCLAIMER: The opinions/statements made in this note are mine, not
	    of my employer.

callen@ada-uts (03/25/86)

>> Much (justifiable) flamage about Apple forcing all repairs on Macs
>> to be done by board swapping.
>>

> A somewhat cooler comment about Apple following IBM's lead in the repair
> business, and equating time and money as a justification for board
> swapping as a sad, but perhaps not inappropriate, service approach.

Well, *I* think this board swap repair approach is a crock - if time is
the big problem, it's easy enough to swap the board for a service spare
and take the bad one back to the shop for analysis. You then fix the problem
and put the old board back (after fixing that cold solder joint or replacing
that $3 memory chip). MANY problems are fairly obvious - and if it becomes
clear that the problem is NOT going to be easy to find, then you just leave
that new board in and charge for a board swap. I've DONE work on Mac logic
boards - it just isn't that bad.

It'd be nice if Apple would sell schematics, or at least a description of
the various pots and some voltage test points, for those of use who WANT
to service our own boards. Hmmm... I wonder if I could get any of that
from a local dealer?

-- Jerry Callen    ...(ima,ihnp4)!inmet!ada-uts!callen

kff@kesmai (04/28/86)

   Well, the Mac+ has arrived, we carted the Lisa out with a fork lift :-)
and handed over the extra $1500. Do I regret it?
   NO WAY! After 3 days with the Mac+ and HFS, I can't beleive I used to
actually get work done on the Lisa. Instead of 5 minutes to start the
machine, and 2 minutes to get into the Finder, we are talking about 15 sec.
to start up, and 2-6 seconds for the Finder, depending on the contents
of the disk cache. Its a bitch we didn't wait a while and buy one of these
things new, since we never got $5000 use out of the Lisa, but thats the
way the cookie crumbles. Perhaps it would have been nicer if Apple had
upgraded the Lisa to handle HFS, etc, but now we have the sound generator
(it talks!) and I can realistically consider carting the machine home
with me (without the HD20) for some extra work/games.
   Tossing $0.02 into the C discussion, Consulair C 4.1 works very
well under HFS. All the folders I had set up under MFS transfered
directly, I ran the Path Manager, and *poof* the program compiled and
linked. As far as portability goes, I have a graphics-intensive application
I am developing that is routinely transfered between the Mac, and a PC
using Lattice C, that compiles and runs on both machines with a few #IFDEF's.
Don't have Quickdraw on the PC, of course, so the output isn't quite as nice,
and Lattice is *slow*, but the program works. Both compilers seem to be
pretty close to bug free.
   That 512K Lisa memory board is still available, by the way, we don't seem
to have a crowd beating the doors down to get it...
   Kelton Flinn
   ..!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!kesmai!kff

Unknown@ut-dillo (04/29/86)

This message is empty.

baron@runx (04/29/86)

To Darin Adler:
	I hope this helps - I use it with Versaterm, but I can't see why it
	wouldn't work with MacTerminal.

--------------------------(Cut Here)----------------------------
# Macintosh/VersaTerm termcap  with insert/delete character
d0|vt100|mac-am|versaterm:\
	:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:\
	:le=^H:bs:am:cm=5\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=2\E[C:up=2\E[A:\
	:ce=3\E[K:cd=50\E[J:so=\E[7m:se=\E[m:us=\E[4m:ue=\E[m:\
	:md=\E[1m:mr=\E[7m:mb=\E[5m:me=\E[m:is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:\
	:rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:\
	:ks=\E=\E[?1h:ke=\E>\E[?1l:\
	:ku=\EOA:kd=\EOB:kr=\EOC:kl=\EOD:kb=^H:\
	:ho=\E[H:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:ta=^I:pt:sr=5\EM:vt#3:xn:\
	:ic=7\E[1@:dc=7\E[1P:al=9\E[1L:dl=9\E[1M:\
	:sc=\E7:rc=\E8:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:
# end
--------------------------(Cut Here)----------------------------

/* Jason Haines            STD:  (02) 73-4444
 * ElecEng Undergraduate   ISD: +61 2 73-4444
 * 73 Davidson Avenue      ACSnet: baron@runx
 * Concord NSW 2137        CSNET:  baron@runx.oz
 * AUSTRALIA               ARPA:   baron%runx.oz@seismo.css.gov
 *
 * UUCP:
 *   {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.oz!baron
 */

jib@prism.UUCP (06/06/86)

I took my MAC in a soft MacPack from New York to Seattle and back.
I worried about underseat capacity so I flew Ambassador class (on TWA).
The Mac did however, fit under the seats (even in the coach section) of
the  767.  It also fit, and was more convenient, in the overhead
compartment -- but you have to board early to insure that there is enough
overhead space for the Mac.

Unfortunately, it is very heavy to carry on your shoulder -- especially if
you have other luggage and a briefcase.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Mirror Systems, Inc.	2067 Massachusetts Ave.
(617) 661-0777		Cambridge, MA 02140

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (06/09/86)

Apologies to all, but I can't find a path to wang...

In <some magic article #>, ephraim@wang says...

>Perenially, people ask about the MacPaint document format.  Here it is:
[followed by a nice description of MacPaint document format]

Alas, this description presupposes a lot more knowledge of MacThings
than I have.  The reason I want to know about MacPaint format is that
a local BBS system has some program called READMAC for the International
BM that will let one print MacPaint pictures on Epson (among other)
printers.  I have an Epson printer, but no International BM or clone,
and no Mac, but I do wonder how I might print these files.

So, while ephraim@wang's posting was admirable and fine for its probably-
intended audience, I'd be much appreciative of information/references
that would help me figure out what "patterns" are and what PackBits does
(since the files I've seen are short enough that they probably did go
through PackBits).

						James Jones

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (06/10/86)

In <something or other>, I say...

>So, while ephraim@wang's posting was admirable and fine for its probably-
>intended audience, I'd be much appreciative of information/references
>that would help me figure out what "patterns" are and what PackBits does
>(since the files I've seen are short enough that they probably did go
>through PackBits).

To forestall needless replies and let others know, the place to look for
a full description is in the June 1986 BYTE, round about page 137.  There
you'll see the whole non-sordid tale :-), explained quite well.

					James Jones

lmm@labsms.UUCP (06/19/86)

What you are trying to do sounds very familiar, - - I am using Red Ryder,
version 8.0 and am really pleased with it.  I have transferred files between
the two using the xmodem program which I got of net.sources (I believe).
The usage of the xmodem command is very simple: xmodem [s|r] filename.

I sent a file from mac to unix by going "xmodem r afile" and then telling
red to send using xmodem and it worked.  And then out of curiosity I
brought it back using "xmodem s afile" from Unix, and told red ryder to
receive using xmodem, - - again It worked great.

Larry McWilliams
AT&T Technologies
Oklahoma City Works
ihnp4!labsms!lmm

lmm@labsms.UUCP (06/19/86)

I've noticed the same thing, I use the command key as my control key
all the time.

I think the option key is used by apple for diacritical (sp?) marks for
foreign languages.  Where the keyboard waits after the first option key
char is typed, and then puts a certain mark over a char depending on what
the next char typed is. (make any sense?, I didn't think so, sorry)

Larry McWilliams
ihnp4!labsms!lmm

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/21/86)

In article <19400004@uokvax.UUCP> emjej@uokvax.UUCP writes:

>To forestall needless replies and let others know, the place to look for
>a full description is in the June 1986 BYTE, round about page 137.  There
>you'll see the whole non-sordid tale :-), explained quite well.

It is also wrong.  They screwed up what goes in the count bytes.
For example, the BYTE article says that for a repeat, the count
byte is repeat count+128.  It really should be 257-count.  They
also screwed up the count for non-repeating bytes.  They have anmaybe 257-count; my stuff is
off by one error.  I don't remember which way it went.  I think
it is count_byte = count-1.
--
Tim Smith                       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim
"hey, bay-BEE'...hey, bay-BEE'" Compuserve: 72257,3706