[net.micro.mac] Paradise HD and HFS?

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/20/86)

Has anyone out there put HFS up on a Paradise 10 hard disk? I'm currently
running release 2.0, which should support HFS file systems, on an old ROM
512K machine. Two related questions:

o Can I set things up to use Disk based HFS, System 3.2 and Finder 5.2? If
	so, how?

o Can I just upgrade the ROM's and start running HFS, or should I plan on
	rebuilding the entire thing?

Any suggestions, comments, or help is appreciated!

chuq

--
:From the lofty realms of Castle Plaid:          Chuq Von Rospach
chuq%plaid@sun.COM	FidoNet: 125/84		 CompuServe: 73317,635

Dessert is probably the most important stage of the meal, since it will be
the last thing your guests remember before they pass out all over the table.
					-- The Anarchist Cookbook

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (06/21/86)

In article <4301@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Has anyone out there put HFS up on a Paradise 10 hard disk? I'm currently
>running release 2.0, which should support HFS file systems, on an old ROM
>512K machine.
>
>chuq

I have been running HFS from RAM via the Hard Disk 20 startup file with a
Paradise Mac 10 for a few months and things have been running fine.  The
Paradise software is starter 2.1 and mounter 2.3 (I think).  This is on an
old vanilla 512k w/ old ROMS.  Just get the HD20 file, put it in your system
folder of the paradise boot disk and when you cold boot a second line will
appear in the "Welcome to Macintosh" dialog box that says
"Hard Disk 20 Startup".

Then when you will have HFS running from RAM and so when you create any new
volumes w/ the Paradise manager you will be creating HFS volumes.  The
manager should say whether a volume is Flat (MFS) or Heirarchical (HFS).

Good Luck,

Steve

B.T.W.  Mac 10/20's don't run on the Plus for a simple hardware reason - Apple
took out a 5v line in the serial ports on the Plus that exists on the 512k.
Hence Thunderscan and Paradise drives won't work.  Evidently the Paradise drive
senses that 5v signal so it can turn on when you turn your Mac on.