[net.micro.mac] Make a million!!!

daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (06/20/86)

I bet there would be a bunch of places that would pay real $$ if they
could do design drawings (data flow diagrams, etc...) on a Mac, then
ship them up to the UNIX box for merging with the rest of the troff'd
documentation.  All you'd need is something to translate a MacDraw
document to pic input and you'd be in business.

If anyone knows of such a thing, please send mail or post an
announcement.  If there isn't, you might get rich writing one!

-dB

--
{amdahl, sun, mtxinu, cbosgd}!rtech!daveb

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (06/22/86)

In article <294@rtech.UUCP>, daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
> I bet there would be a bunch of places that would pay real $$ if they
> could do design drawings (data flow diagrams, etc...) on a Mac, then
> ship them up to the UNIX box for merging with the rest of the troff'd
> documentation.  All you'd need is something to translate a MacDraw
> document to pic input and you'd be in business.
>
> If anyone knows of such a thing, please send mail or post an
> announcement.  If there isn't, you might get rich writing one!
>
> -dB

Well, it just so happens I have a program (never used it) that converts
MacDraw documents to Macpaint format, so it says.  It's even 2.0, so there
must be others floating around, but nobody else has responded yet.

It's shareware, suitable for uploading.

Anyone interested?

R. Wheeler

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (06/24/86)

In article <865@utastro.UUCP>, wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) writes:
> In article <294@rtech.UUCP>, daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
> > I bet there would be a bunch of places that would pay real $$ if they
> > could do design drawings (data flow diagrams, etc...) on a Mac, then
> > ship them up to the UNIX box for merging with the rest of the troff'd
> > documentation.  All you'd need is something to translate a MacDraw
> > document to pic input and you'd be in business.
> >
> > If anyone knows of such a thing, please send mail or post an
> > announcement.  If there isn't, you might get rich writing one!
> >
> > -dB
>
> Well, it just so happens I have a program (never used it) that converts
> MacDraw documents to Macpaint format, so it says.  It's even 2.0, so there
> must be others floating around, but nobody else has responded yet.
>
> It's shareware, suitable for uploading.

I'm uploading it to net.sources.mac due to popular demand, watch for it.

R. Wheeler

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (06/27/86)

In article <294@rtech.UUCP> daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>I bet there would be a bunch of places that would pay real $$ if they
>could do design drawings (data flow diagrams, etc...) on a Mac, then
>ship them up to the UNIX box for merging with the rest of the troff'd
>documentation.  All you'd need is something to translate a MacDraw
>document to pic input and you'd be in business.

It has been suggested that one can write a PostScript interpreter
(something like forth) that converts to UNIX plot(3) or plot(5)
commands.  The postscript can be generated by setting printer
to appletalk and hitting the "command-F"(?).

I believe the Superplot package posted to net.sources also
included some postscript interfaces.

It is also possible to convert tektronics format into MacDraw
via two programs.

You're right, the attractiveness of Mac<->Unix transfers is an
extremely lucrative potential market.

Anything else available in this arena?