[net.micro.mac] MacWorkStation Protocol

baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) (06/20/86)

Has anybody heard anything about it?

jason@runx.oz

wmd@kran.UUCP (06/26/86)

yes, we have it, what do you want to know about it?

It's a library that you link in with your C program on a UNIX host.
You run your program on the UNIX host and another program on the Mac.
The Mac program is sort of a super intelligent terminal driver that
accepts packet instructing it to do things like use Quickdraw to draw
on the screen, call up or construct a dialog, etc. Generally get at most
of the tool box rom.  The Mac side also generated event packets to the
host side for mouse down, menu item select, dialog item select, etc.
File Transfer is also supported.  The source code for the libraries
comes with it so its easily extensible.

It's really interesting.  I beleive you'll see a lot of stuff coming
out that uses this.  We are building a BBS/comm system much like Applelink
that the users will never know they've left their Macintosh except for
the sound of their modems beeping at connect time...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Malcolm Duncan
Krannert Executive Education
Purdue University
UUCP:  kran!wmd@pur-phy

and

Duncan Communications Bulletin Board System
3 lines, 24 hours, 7 days a week.  Modem (317) 567-2143
UUCP:  duncan!root@pur-phy

dennisg@pwcs.UUCP (Dennis Grittner) (06/27/86)

In article <1268@runx.OZ> baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines) writes:

>Has anybody heard anything about it?
>
>jason@runx.oz

We have a copy of the MacWorkstation documentation and plan (
when money permits ) on acquiring it. It gives a Mac interface to
Unix by using the combination of the Mac connected serially to
the Unix box running two pieces of software - one on each end. As
we don't have it here yet, any comments I would make about it
would be purely conjecture. The license fee ( I'm a REAL - not
educational end user ) is $1,500. Since you get all the source
stuff, etc. it looks like it might be an O.K. deal.

While Apple can't ( or won't ) make any commitments about the
future of MacWorkstation, they have indicated some directions it
might go in.

Think of all the folk who could REALLY use Unix with a Mac-type
interface - kinda makes the mind boggle....

Dennis Grittner			(612)298-4402
Computer Services Manager	Room 700, 25 West 4th Street
City of Saint Paul Public Works	Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102

My employer not only doesn't approve of my ideas - they're
frightened!