[net.micro.mac] Getting at the LaserPrep file

mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) (06/04/86)

The easiest way to get the LaserPrep header in text form is to print some
document, and hold down command-K right after you click on "OK", until the
"Creating PostScript" dialog box comes up. This will create a large text
PostScript file, the first part of which will be the LaserPrep header.

To use LaserPrep from another computer, edit it as follows: First, search
for the first ^D (control-D), and delete everything that follows (that's the
PostScript description of the document you printed). At the beginning of the
file, there's a line which contains a "setsccinteractive" command, which you
should comment out ('%' is the PostScript comment character). You might also
want to comment out the line starting with "waittimeout". If you don't want
Laser Prep permanently loaded each time you ship it to the printer, comment
out the "exitserver" line, and the first line of the file (probably all
zeros, the exitserver password). Lastly, if you're not going to be printing
files with bit smoothing turned on, get rid of the very long hex string at
the end of the file, and comment out the line before with the "eexec" command.

You can now prepend this file to any Mac generated PostScript file (created
with command-F), and it will print out.

Thanks to Glenn Reid at Adobe, who posted the command-K trick to
info-postscript.

		cheers, -m-	mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/08/86)

In article <1004@rover.ri.cmu.edu> mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) writes:
>The easiest way to get the LaserPrep header in text form is to print some
>document, and hold down command-K right after you click on "OK", until the
>"Creating PostScript" dialog box comes up. This will create a large text
>PostScript file, the first part of which will be the LaserPrep header.

This did not work for me. From a 512K not connected to AppleTalk, <clover>K
does not seem to do anything, while <clover>F works as advertised.  I
do not know which version of the software is involved, but the printer
is a recent LaserWriter (vanilla, not "Plus").
--

Jean-Francois Lamy	        CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.edu
Department of Computer Science 	EAN:   lamy@ai.toronto.cdn

frankng@basser.oz (Frank Ng) (06/08/86)

In article <1004@rover.ri.cmu.edu>, mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) writes:

> The easiest way to get the LaserPrep header in text form is to print some
> document, and hold down command-K right after you click on "OK", until the
> "Creating PostScript" dialog box comes up. This will create a large text
> PostScript file, the first part of which will be the LaserPrep header.

Could someone who has tried this please confirm that this works,
and for which version of the laserwriter driver this works for?

I have tried and tried this with no success.  Holding down Control-K
immediately after clicking on "OK" in the print dialog seems to be
ignored, I just get the "looking for laserwriter" message.

I am however successful in getting a "postscript" dump of the data
file without the header by pressing Control-F immediately after the
Print dialog.

The hard/software setup I have is :
	*NO* physical appletalk connected.
	Tried this with both Appletalk connected and disconnected in
		Control Panel.
	Laserwriter chosen in the Chooser.
	Laserwriter driver and LaserPrep in HFS System Folder.
	MacWrite in some other HFS folder, document in another folder.

Thanks in advance for any help

-----
Frank Ng
Basser Department of Computer Science
University of Sydney
New South Wales 2006
AUSTRALIA

ACSnet: frankng@basser
ARPA:   frankng%basser.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:   seismo!munnari!basser.oz!frankng
_____

leeke@cascade.ARPA (Steven D. Leeke) (06/09/86)

In article <649@basser.oz> frankng@basser.oz (Frank Ng) writes:
>> The easiest way to get the LaserPrep header in text form is to print some
>> document, and hold down command-K right after you click on "OK", until the
>> "Creating PostScript" dialog box comes up. This will create a large text
>> PostScript file, the first part of which will be the LaserPrep header.
>Could someone who has tried this please confirm that this works,
>and for which version of the laserwriter driver this works for?

I have used cmd-K on a Mac Plus w/ HD20 and it worked well, BUT perhaps
the problem is in your versions of the LaserWriter and LaserPrep files.  Mine
are both version 3.0.  If you have 2.x you will see a BIG difference in the
layout with 3.0.

Steve Leeke

othello@tesla.UUCP (Mystery) (06/20/86)

	You must have apple talk and the laserwriter connected to your
machine for the control-k option to function correctly. Unfortunatly
the postscript prep file is interactive with the laserwriter and will
not be generated unless a laser is connected to respond to its queries.

			-Michael Culbert

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (06/22/86)

In article <1001@tesla.UUCP> othello@tesla.ee.cornell.edu writes:
>	You must have apple talk and the laserwriter connected to your
>machine for the control-k option to function correctly. Unfortunatly

This is dead wrong.  I will post a small application that selects the
LaserWriter as the current printer even if there is no LaserWriter in
sight.  The <control-K> "feature" then works as advertised.  You seem
to be confused by the fact that 'Chooser' will not let you select an
inexistant printer...

>the postscript prep file is interactive with the laserwriter and will
>not be generated unless a laser is connected to respond to its queries

All that is needed to generate the PostScript code is on the Mac (the
Laser Prep file and the LaserWriter driver).
--

Jean-Francois Lamy	        CSNet: lamy@ai.toronto.edu
Department of Computer Science  ARPA:  lamy%ai.toronto.edu@csnet-relay

rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen) (06/22/86)

In article <1001@tesla.UUCP>, othello@tesla.UUCP (Mystery) writes:
> 	You must have apple talk and the laserwriter connected to your
> machine for the control-k option to function correctly. Unfortunatly
> the postscript prep file is interactive with the laserwriter and will
> not be generated unless a laser is connected to respond to its queries.
> 			-Michael Culbert

Actually, I've noticed that with LaserWriter 3.1, System 3.2, and Finder
5.3 (LaserPrep version unknown) I can generate the postscript file
by turning on AppleTalk with the control panel, then using the Chooser
DA to choose the LaserWriter and doing the usual command K.
The postscript file I get has the laserprep stuff prepended.

--
Robert Cohen
San Francisco, California

che@ptsfb.UUCP (06/26/86)

In article <1888@utai.UUCP> lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:
>In article <1001@tesla.UUCP> othello@tesla.ee.cornell.edu writes:
>>	You must have apple talk and the laserwriter connected to your
>>machine for the control-k option to function correctly. Unfortunatly
>
>This is dead wrong.  I will post a small application that selects the
>LaserWriter as the current printer even if there is no LaserWriter in
>sight.  The <control-K> "feature" then works as advertised.  You seem
>to be confused by the fact that 'Chooser' will not let you select an
>inexistant printer...

I am still unable to use the control-K feature.  The application
mentioned above doesn't seem to do anything.  You are always able to
select the laserwriter if you use the Control panel to "turn on"
Appletalk, (even if it doesn't really exist), so this is not the problem.
I continue to get the "Looking for Laserwriter" box.  As before, the
control-f feature works.  Mr. Lamy, have you tried this without a
Laserwriter attached?  I am clicking on the Laserwriter box's OK and
immediately pressing control-k.  Am I doing something wrong?  (I've got
a Mac+ and System 3.0)

Anyone have any further ideas on this?
--
Mitch Che	Pacific Bell			"No matter what the salesman
---------------------------------------		says, never buy a used car

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (06/29/86)

> ...  You seem to be confused by the fact that 'Chooser' will not
> let you select an inexistant printer...

This is not totally true.  Configuration: Mac 512E, latest versions
of all software, Imagewriter printer.  To choose the LaserWriter driver,
all I need to do is click Appletalk connected in the Control Panel,
and Click on the LaserWriter icon in Chooser.  Even though no LaserWriters
come up in the box, the driver is selected anyway.  No extra program is
necessary to do this, and I noticed that such a program was posted.
--
Robert Berlinger
Systems Analyst

UUCP:       ...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli
Compuserve: 73047,741