[net.micro.mac] Microsoft Flight Sim problem?

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (06/14/86)

I don't seem to be able to permanently save my status on the
disk.  If I set myself up at, say, Santa Monica airport and use
the "save and name" option to save as "santa monica", I do
indeed see "santa monica" on the "restore" menu for the
duration of the session.  But the next time I boot, the saved
data is gone and does not appear on the menu.  Am I missing
some obvious procedure here?

By the way, I feel that Southern California geography got
slighted by Microsoft.  We're pretty flat, but not *that* flat!
If Manhattan can show  Central Park why can't LA's Griffith Park
be visible?  The lack of ground references besides Marina Del
Rey and some freeways is a (minor) annoyance.  (they could have
at least included the "Fly Quietly" sign on the Santa Monica
approach).  Oh well, I guess they lavished all their bytes on
the SF Bay area.

--

   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (06/19/86)

>I don't seem to be able to permanently save my status on the
>disk.  If I set myself up at, say, Santa Monica airport and use
>the "save and name" option to save as "santa monica", I do
>indeed see "santa monica" on the "restore" menu for the
>duration of the session.  But the next time I boot, the saved
>data is gone and does not appear on the menu.  Am I missing
>some obvious procedure here?

The "Save and Name" option only saves the situation in RAM.  There is
another option on the menu that "Save and Name" and "Restore" are on which
saves all the situations on the "Restore" menu on a disk (you're expected to
insert another disk -- they think in terms of SS disks).

>By the way, I feel that Southern California geography got
>slighted by Microsoft.  We're pretty flat, but not *that* flat!

We at John Fluke are right next to Boeing's Paine Field, which you can take
off and land at in MFS.  They don't show Fluke on the map, but it's easy to
figure it out.  It's great fun to try to land in my office area....

                        "...pull upward slowly, lock elbow and apply
                         pressure while pummeling opponent's skull with
                         folding chair..."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (06/23/86)

> >I don't seem to be able to permanently save my status on the
> >disk.  If I set myself up at, say, Santa Monica airport and use
> >the "save and name" option to save as "santa monica", I do
> >indeed see "santa monica" on the "restore" menu for the
> >duration of the session.  But the next time I boot, the saved
> >data is gone and does not appear on the menu.  Am I missing
> >some obvious procedure here?
>
> The "Save and Name" option only saves the situation in RAM.  There is
> another option on the menu that "Save and Name" and "Restore" are on which
> saves all the situations on the "Restore" menu on a disk (you're expected to
> insert another disk -- they think in terms of SS disks).

This is only one of the many appalling ways in which MicroSoft murdered and
dismembered the user interface.  The flight simulation in Flight Simulator
is great, but just about everything else about it is awful.

> >By the way, I feel that Southern California geography got
> >slighted by Microsoft.  We're pretty flat, but not *that* flat!
>
> We at John Fluke are right next to Boeing's Paine Field, which you can take
> off and land at in MFS.  They don't show Fluke on the map, but it's easy to
> figure it out.  It's great fun to try to land in my office area....

How about the East Coast?  When I take off from Logan, I can't find Boston!
No Orient Heights, no Beacon Hill, no Pru or Hancock, no MIT or Harvard...
Manhattan's OK, but I'd like something a little closer to home.

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (06/25/86)

In article <830@wang.UUCP> ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) writes:
>>> (re my problems with saving situation and the solution)

>This is only one of the many appalling ways in which MicroSoft murdered and
>dismembered the user interface.  The flight simulation in Flight Simulator
>is great, but just about everything else about it is awful.

Yep.  By the time you read this, the "cancel" for the original article
should have reached your machine, as I discovered the solution for
myself a few hours after posting.  RTFM (Read The Manual), as the saying goes.
I guess I got used to the usual high quality of Mac software where you
hardly ever *have* to read the manual!  The simulator's  user interface indeed
sucks rocks.

>> >By the way, I feel that Southern California geography got
>> >slighted by Microsoft.  We're pretty flat, but not *that* flat!
>>
>> We at John Fluke are right next to Boeing's Paine Field, which you can take
>> off and land at in MFS.  They don't show Fluke on the map, but it's easy to
>> figure it out.  It's great fun to try to land in my office area....
>
>How about the East Coast?  When I take off from Logan, I can't find Boston!
>No Orient Heights, no Beacon Hill, no Pru or Hancock, no MIT or Harvard...
>Manhattan's OK, but I'd like something a little closer to home.

If people will send me (ELECTRONIC MAIL.  DO NOT CLOG THE NET WITH
THIS MATERIAL) lists of about three or four MAJOR ground references
near their favorite Microsoft-simulator airport, I will collect
them and post them back to the net and additionally send the list
in a nice polite letter to Microsoft.  Obviously, they can't put
*everything* in the simulator, but Boston and LA (and the SF bay
peninsula) are really bland, and I should think they could add
some "local color" without running entirely out of disk space.

And for the record, notwithstanding the gripes, I *LIKE* this program,
have spent obscene amounts of time playing with it (skim along next
to the Golden Gate, watching out the side windows, oo, fun!),
and recommend it highly.
--

   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

chips@tekchips.UUCP (Chip Schnarel) (06/27/86)

    Say group, instead of asking microsoft (really the folks who wrote
    MFS are Sublogic back in Illinoise) for more detail in specific areas,
    how about turning on the heat for a MFS map/feature editor.  If we
    had such a tool we could add features to where ever we personally wanted
    to fly.  Myself, I think I would choose to fly over Donaldson's "The
    Land", but you could choose Burroughs' "Barsoom" or even Tolkein's
    "Middle Earth".  The point is, you can add whatever features you want
    if you had the tool to do it with.

    2 cents department:  Yes, Sublogic perverted the Mac interface in the
    implementation of MFS, but if they hadn't much more screen (read as
    plane window space) would have been lost.  I think it's a great program.
    Good job Sublogic!  Now do the editor!

    Chip
    ...!tektronix!tekchips!chips

chips@tekcrl.UUCP (Chip Schnarel) (06/30/86)

    This seems to have failed to make it out, even to other machines
    at our site so I'm posting a second time.

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (07/02/86)

In article <805@tekcrl.UUCP> chips@tekcrl.UUCP (Chip Schnarel) writes:

>    Say group, instead of asking microsoft (really the folks who wrote
>    MFS are Sublogic back in Illinoise) for more detail in specific areas,
>    how about turning on the heat for a MFS map/feature editor.  If we
>    had such a tool we could add features to where ever we personally wanted
>    to fly.
>
>    Good job Sublogic!  Now do the editor!

I don't think it's very likely, simply because of the MASSIVE amounts of data
which have to be entered for even the simplest features.  Note that the Flight
Simulator has been around for almost 8 years, starting with the Apple II ver-
sion, and no feature editor has shown up yet...

  If Sublogic wants to, they can certainly reformat and release their existing
scenery disks for the Mac.  I've got the "Star" scenery disk for the SF Bay
Area, and it's pretty neat.  I like flying through the blimp hanger at Moffet
Field - try that in your real plane!

----------------
Mike Farren
hoptoad!farren

ephraim@wang.UUCP (pri=8 Ephraim Vishniac x76659 ms1459) (07/03/86)

>     2 cents department:  Yes, Sublogic perverted the Mac interface in the
>     implementation of MFS, but if they hadn't, much more screen (read as
>     plane window space) would have been lost.  I think it's a great program.
>     Good job Sublogic!  Now do the editor!
>
>      ...!tektronix!tekchips!chips

Sorry, but I don't see how using non-standard dialogs with a brain-damaged
caps-only font saves screen space during flight.  The defect referred to
in the original posting was that "saving" a flight situation didn't save
it in a file (i.e., it wasn't permanently "saved").  That has nothing to
do with saving screen space.

True, the dwarf menu bar and non-standard windows save space, but why
are the menus themselves in that same illegible font?  Why are files saved
with names like "F7"?  Where's the standard file dialog?