[net.micro.mac] Window Zooming

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (09/03/85)

Here are the final results of the (very unscientific) survey about
mechanisms for 'zooming' a window (making it full-screen size and
later returning it to the original size).  My thanks to the people who
responded to the survey.

I received 56 responses; the total number of votes is more than 56
because some people voted for more than 1 item.

The final results are:

double clicking on window title bar		24
double clicking on window grow box		26
separate icon on title bar			12
menu command & command key equivalent		7

Some comments received:

Most of the people who voted for double clicking on the title bar did
so for consistency with Microsoft applications, and because the title
bar is large and easy to hit.  (Some part of it is always on the screen.)

Most of the people who voted for double clicking the grow box did so
because they considered zooming to be a logical extension of growing
the window.

Some people pointed out that double clicking can be a difficult
operation for new users.  It is easy to make one click but then move
the mouse before the second click so that the double click is not
recognized.

In the case of moving the mouse between clicks, some people pointed
out that doing this on the title bar is less annoying than on the
grow box.  The reasons is that growing a window can take a long time
in some applications, while moving a window is handled by a BitBlt
operation.

*****

After talking to the Human Interface Group, we decided to adopt
double clicking in the title bar as the recommended user interface.
The feeling was that compatibility with Microsoft was important, and
that the advantages of hitting the title bar outweighed the slight
mnemonic value of double clicking the grow box.  (Zooming, in
general, involves BOTH moving and resizing the window.)

We are still considering the implementation details of this
operation.  For example, should we give the user feedback about
whether double clicking in the title bar will work; how should the
program decide what size to make the window; etc.  I will post another
message when we have these details settled.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, idi, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET

kk@amdcad.UUCP (Krishnakumar K.) (07/02/86)

	Is anybody familiar with exactly how window zooming is done (Like in
the Finder (opening disks & folders, etc), and in such programs as REdit
& Dialog Creator)?  The problem for me seems to be after drawing a rectangle,
redrawing the screen window as it used to be.  I've tried doing screen
switching, (copying one bit map to another using CopyBits), and I've also
tried storing the bits of the rectangle to be drawn, and the putting them
back, but both of these methods don't give me the desired effect.  Anybody
have any ideas?

Thomas Carstensen
AMD - Sunnyvale, CA

steele@unc.UUCP (Oliver Steele) (07/10/86)

In article <12205@amdcad.UUCP> Thomas Carstensen writes:

>	Is anybody familiar with exactly how window zooming is done (Like in
>the Finder (opening disks & folders, etc), and in such programs as REdit
>& Dialog Creator)?  The problem for me seems to be after drawing a rectangle,
>redrawing the screen window as it used to be.

Set pen mode to patxor and pick your color.  Draw your shape at its smallest
size, then repeat { draw at next size; draw at previous size } until
you've zoomed as much as you want to.  Then draw at the last size to clean
up.  Two xors restore to original bits, so everything is pristine.

--
Oliver Steele----------------------------------steele@unc

	...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele	(usenet)
	steele%unc@csnet-relay.csnet		(arpanet)