[net.micro.mac] crc errors

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (07/07/86)

     Sometimes when I binhex a file that has come over the net I get
a message about a crc error.  Can anyone save me a lot of time by explaining
how to do either of the following:
    1.  Fix the error.
    2.  Get the binhexed file saved anyway since it might be alright in
spite of the error.
      Thanks.

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) (07/10/86)

In article <229@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:

>     Sometimes when I binhex a file that has come over the net I get
>a message about a crc error.  Can anyone save me a lot of time by explaining
>how to do either of the following:
>    1.  Fix the error.

    You'll sometimes get a CRC error if you try to BinHex a file
without trimming off the headers BinHex 4.0 requires that you use an
editor (any editor will do, even MockWrite) to remove everything
before the line, "This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0." Also
go to the end and remove the signature (anything after the BinHex
gobbledegook).
    If you're using BinHex 5.0, it doesn't seem to care about
headers, so that's not the problem.
    Finally, remember to save the file as "text only" when you leave
your editor, or it won't work anyway.

		    -Greg

--
Greg Brail  	(Greg @ The Soup Kitchen)
UUCP : ..{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,sri-iu,lll-crg,ut-sally,allegra}!caip!unirot!gjb

abulloch@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (07/10/86)

Ken Magel writes (7 July, 1986):
   >  Sometimes when I binhex a file that has come over the net I get
a message about a crc error.  Can anyone save me a lot of time by explaining
how to do either of the following:
    1.  Fix the error.
    2.  Get the binhexed file saved anyway since it might be alright in
spite of the error.<

I have found that some files which I have downloaded from the net still have
a heading, or preliminary information, attached to them (and sometimes
that has been my own fault, when I have forgotten to delete the posting
info. etc.); this will produce the error that you describe when one tries
to binhex such files.  The answer is to check your file before binhexing,
either on your mainframe or, after downloading, with Mockwrite or such
(if the file is less than 30k) or Apple's Edit (or anything similar), and
make sure that the file begins directly with the prologue 'This file
must be converted....'. Also run through the whole file and scan it for
blank lines and remove these (they sometimes creep in when a file has been
made up from two or more parts before posting).

Anthony Bulloch