[net.micro.mac] announcing FastEddie2 Version 2.5

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (07/12/86)

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 86 12:56:02 cdt
From: werner@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: announcing availability of new version of FastEddie editor
Subject: (Vn 2.5)

[ below follow some notes describing the changes since version 2.3.
  remember, the program I am permitted to upload is only a "castrated" version,
  in that it is limited to small files only - 6K max, I believe.  Enough to
  check out most/all of the options.

  I also feel obligated to point out the following:

  When you purchase the program, you receive a personalized copy of the
  full editor, as well as of the limited version.  You are encouraged to
  pass on the limited version by a "33% commission" of any follow-up sales
  resulting from your "help".  Given that the posted copy has my "serial-
  number" in it, I would find it improper to post-and-profit, so I have
	a) insisted that I get no "commission" of any orders
	b) anyone making an order in result of my posting can take off
	   33% of the price themselves instead; please refer to me saying
	   so.  Regular price is $48 (plus $5 for overseas postage),
	   which I consider more than fair. Which would make "your price"
	   $32, which is outright cheap for what you get.

  I would consider it only fair, that, should you take the discount, that
  you tell Daniel (the author) you also want no 33% "commission" of any
  orders that might result of you distributing your Ltd-copy, but that is,
  of course, up to you to do.

  I also try to encourage Daniel to consider making the whole program into
  ShareWare, but I am not sure if that is a recommendation which
  would benefit or harm him.  You may want to tell him your opinion on the
  matter.  Given that he distributes updates at cost (in my opinion, he
  does it below his cost, actually;  I think his time is worth more than he
  charges for updates), if FastEddie would become ShareWare , updates could
  be distributed over this net at great convenience to everyone.

  Please also note, that the program is so powerful through its extension
  capabilities, that unless you make some effort to explore this feature,
  you will hardly be able to fully understand and appreciate the gem that
  this program really is.  It takes some understanding of the C-language
  to take advantage of this, however, but you can't expect power without
  some added complexity.  In order to allow exploring this complexity
  I uploaded all the files that I, legally, could - please don't ask me
  to do more or expect me to have either the time or the knowledge to answer
  questions.

  Other than this article, look for 3 files which I will post shortly -
  binhexed4 and PackIted2.

	Cheers,		--Werner
]

  ***  CHANGES between VERSIONS  - 2.3 -  and  - 2.4 -  of  FastEddie :  ***

		***  NEW FEATURES:  ***

<cmd><Option>-W		now activates next window

<cmd><Option><Shift>-W	now activate previous window

- optional hard TAB emulation
	+ "TABS ARE SIMPLE" in options menu uses appropriate spaces
	  instead of TAB characters
	+ "TABS ARE SMART" emulates "hard" tabs

- CURSOR KEYS on Mac+ or keypad control cursor position on screen
	+ use <Option> for WORD and LINE movement
	+ use <Shift> to EXTEND SELECTION

		***  PRETIFICATIONS:  ***

- "Untitled" default name of new files now without leading disk name

- HORIZONTAL SCROLL to home on change to wrap (simplifies code)

- HORIZONTAL SCROLL now disallowed in word wrap (simplifies code)

- FLUSHEVENTS on startup eliminated (eliminates problem with disk insertion)

		***  MINOR BUGS FIXES:  ***

- TRANSFER from TabsOut (V1.2) now works

- BREAK LINES in File menu disabled

- HORIZONTAL SCROLL slight misallignment fixed

  ***  CHANGES between VERSIONS  - 2.4 -  and  - 2.5 -  of  FastEddie :  ***

- "INSERT RETURNS"	...in display menu inserts carriage returns at
			line breaks in selected text (use with word wrap
			on to"freeze" line widths)

- "DELETE RETURNS"	...in display menu deletes carriage returns in
			selected text (to undo "insert returns")

- <cmd><Shift><Enter>	...extends selection to the end of the file (my
        		answer to a request for "Select all")

- <Option><Shift><Enter>	...extends selection the to top of the file
        			and scrolls to the top of the file (ditto)

- CHANGE BUFFER in "find, change..."	...now understands "\n" and "\t"

- "ABOUT <file>"	...now has column number (requested by Fortran
			programmers)

- AUTO SCROLL		...now works with Mac ROMs (The erradic behavior of
			SelRect in the new ROMs caused much grief)

[
these files are archived as --

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-FASTEDDIE-25.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-FASTEDDIE-25-DOC.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-FASTEDDIE-25-UTILS.HQX

DoD
]