[net.micro.mac] Sending files to a vax.

smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (07/11/86)

I own MacTerminal, and am in the process of uploading about fifty text files
to my unix account.  Is there a better program for doing this rather than having
to select and send the file one at a time?

Thanks, Paul

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <404@psu-cs.UUCP> smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (Paul Smethers) writes:
>I own MacTerminal, and am in the process of uploading about fifty text files
>to my unix account.  Is there a better program for doing this rather than having
>to select and send the file one at a time?
>
>Thanks, Paul

Gary Perlman posted the unix and msdos source to fpack. A utility to pack
and unpack text files into larger transport packages.

I modified this to run on the Mac and posted the source (Mac C) and binhex
version some time ago.

I will entertain requests for:

	1) Mac C source
	2) binhex'd application
	2) unix source (although it really isn't mine)

I make no claims that it is 'better' than anything, I merely state
that I use it for situations such as you describe.

P.S. I am porting (long delayed) the 'par/unpar' utility which is
compatible with 4.2BSD and sysV release 2 'ar'. I feel this is
better than fpack because it checks the file size as it unpacks, and thus
warns of problems, and does not require a particular 'special' program
on the unix end (although unix 'par' and 'unpar' are available, and required for
use on older unix such as V7 and sysIII and even sysV release 1). It's
not available now, though.

P.P.S. I got some minor flames when I originally posted fpack for the
Mac from people who didn't feel it was needed. After much exchange of
comment it boils down to being useless or undesirable on a single drive
Macintosh.

P.P.P.S. If you are talking about one way transmission Mac -> Vax only
you might consider instead using Packit I or II ( I is freeware, no
donation required, II compresses some, is shareware and asks for money)
on the Macintosh end, and unpit version 2 (source posted to the net)
on the vax end.

I have, and will entertain requests for:

	1) unpit.c
	2) binhex'd packitI

In all the above 'entertain requests for' I reserve the right to post the
programs if the volume gets high enough.
--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Once and for all: I like my Macintosh

mitch@well.UUCP (Mitchell Waite) (07/15/86)

Packet II will pack Mac files and send them to Unix as one file.  But once
it is on Unix I don't think the programs are accessible individually.
Harry Chesley, here on The Well (chesley) could tell you more.  He is the
author of Packet.

wheel@utastro.UUCP (Craig Wheeler) (07/15/86)

Is there any way to easily send text files (or any) to the VAX besides opening
vi or somesuch and sending it ascii?  Slow, and sometimes vi clogs after
a page or two, proceding to beep and lose characters.

Perhaps upload it with macget and unxbin?

Rob Wheeler