[net.micro.mac] Status of mod.mac.{binaries,sources}

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (07/07/86)

As moderator of mod.mac.{binaries,sources}, I wanted to let people know that
things are finally being posted!  Here is the list of articles posted thus
far:

	12 Apr 86 <1056@felix.UUCP> mod.mac.binaries
		the "famous" Amiga Bouncing Ball Demo (for the Mac)
	27 Jun 86 <1290@felix.UUCP> mod.mac.binaries
		Lord of the Rings Finder (System 3.2/Finder 5.3 ONLY!)
	7 Jul 86 <1324@felix.UUCP> mod.mac.binaries
		columb.pit.Hqx (1 of 3)
	7 Jul 86 <1325@felix.UUCP> mod.mac.binaries
		columb.pit.Hqx (2 of 3)
	7 Jul 86 <1326@felix.UUCP> mod.mac.binaries
		columb.pit.Hqx (3 of 3)

I'd like to encourage you to use the moderated groups for your postings,
as I've been told that net.sources.mac will disappear in the upcoming
reorganization of the newsgroups.

I also wanted to share some decisions I've had to make recently in rejecting
a couple of submissions.  This should give you an idea about my moderation
policy as it exists so far.

First there was a submission of a rather interesting little desk accessory
that would speak, via Macintalk, every once in awhile.  Nothing was wrong
with the desk accessory itself, but the submission was in PackIt format,
and included Macintalk.  My understanding is that Macintalk was part of a
software supplement put out by Apple, and is copyrighted.  I've asked that
the person who submitted this desk accessory to re-PackIt it without
Macintalk.

Next, was an editor called FastEddie2.5.  Now FastEddie is shareware, which
in itself isn't enough to keep something from being posted.  My own feeling
about shareware is that you are under no LEGAL obligation to pay whatever
fee is being requested by the shareware author.  On the other hand, if you
find something useful, and the fee is reasonable, pay it so that the author
is encouraged to produce more software.  The point is, there is a fine line
between using the net to distribute useful stuff and using the net to
distribute a commercial product.

FastEddie's problem was that it was a serial numbered "demo" version.
What happens is when you buy FastEddie, you get an unrestricted full
version, and a demo version.  You are encouraged to post or distribute
your demo version to the world.  Then, when the author gets an order
that includes the serial number of your demo version, you get a percentage
of the profits.  Now *that* seems a little too commercial for my tastes,
so I've rejected FastEddie.

I'd like to thank those of you supporting mod.mac.{sources,binaries},
both readers and submitters.

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (07/12/86)

First, let me say that I consider myself a co-founder of net.micro.mac and an
early proponent of moderated groups in general and for Mac-topics in particular,
and that I wish mod.* to succeed, no matter what.

Next let me state that I was the person submitting the FastEddie-2.5 demo,
and that I have a few comments to make regarding the recent announcement
in a posting by the moderator:

> Article 6966 of 7028, Mon 10:50.
> Subject: Status of mod.mac.{binaries,sources}
> From: bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long @ FileNet Corp., Costa Mesa, CA)
> (50 lines) More? [ynq]
> As moderator of mod.mac.{binaries,sources}, I wanted to let people know that
> things are finally being posted!  Here is the list of articles posted thus
> far:

> FastEddie's problem was that it was a serial numbered "demo" version.
> What happens is when you buy FastEddie, you get an unrestricted full
> version, and a demo version.  You are encouraged to post or distribute
> your demo version to the world.  Then, when the author gets an order
> that includes the serial number of your demo version, you get a percentage
> of the profits.  Now *that* seems a little too commercial for my tastes,
> so I've rejected FastEddie.

Preceding / Accompanying my submission of the FastEddie files was a message
in which I indicated *HOW I HAD MADE SURE THAT IT WOULD NOT BE OF COMMERCIAL
BENEFIT TO ME*, but rather how everyone on the net could receive the program
at a 33% discount because of being able to refer to me having said so.
I submitted a similar statement to INFO-MAC, so anyone can verify that I said
it there (see a recent mod.mac article of Vol. 4 # 82), and I had posted an
earlier version of FastEddie2 to net.sources.mac with an identical "Usenet
special".

Now several things bother me:

1) whereas Roger acknowledged having received my submission quickly, it took a
	long time before anything was posted.  I do not know what caused that
	delay, but Roger indicated to me that he was first going to download and
	test the stuff to make sure it was working right (great moderating!!)

2) rather than discussing his objections with me first, Roger posted the
	rejection notice (not so great moderating)

3) I responded to Roger immediately, same day, nearly same hour of his posting,
	explaining the situation, but have not heard from him since, despite
	making several attempts to contact him.

whereas I have general good faith in Roger's efforts and intentions and
consider it a possibility that some mail got lost between here and there,
I am totally dissatisfied with my first attempt to post something through the
mod.mac.* arrangement.  I will, therefore, post FastEddie-2.5 to
net.sources.mac and will not attempt to post through mod.mac.* again for a
while and until I see that mechanism running smoothly and in a timely manner.

no hard feelings, but this first attempt has been a wasted effort of time and
good will on my part.  I hope it will work better soon.

	Cheers,		---Werner

PS:  FastEddie is *NOT* shareware (as Roger, erroneously stated) but the demo
	version is labelled *PUBLIC DOMAIN* by the author, whereas the
	purchase-version is protected by Copyright and distribution is
	explicitly disallowed.  I am trying to convince the author to consider
	making it shareware in the future in order to facilitate distribution
	of program, documentation and updates to both.

joel@gould9.UUCP (07/16/86)

being a moderator is not an easy job, particularly given the pay. :-)

but, looking at it, it needs two key things:
	enough time
	the right attitude
I hope our mod.{sources,binaries} moderator turns out to have both,
or, if not, another volunteer steps forward.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037