[net.micro.mac] need new RamStart or patches to old

ndd@duke.UUCP (Ned Danieley) (06/30/86)

Somehow we failed to get any distributions of RamStart after 1.0,
and the patches that have been posted to make 1.21 and 1.22 work
with the 128k ROMS don't seem to apply to 1.0. Could someone send
us either RamStart 1.22 (preferred) or patches for 1.0? Or perhaps
a reposting would be in order, maybe to mod.mac.

Ned Danieley
Duke University Medical Center
duke!dukebar!ndd

LTW@PSUVM.BITNET (07/02/86)

Ditto to the above request.  RamStart 1.21 (the latest version I've seen) will
load a ram disk on my MacPlus BUT (1) varies the actual size of a presized ram
disk as a function of the amount of cache memory installed in ram and (2) bombs
when a system and finder are included in the same folder with it.  It is a
great utility as it allows very large ram disks and automatic installation of a
ram disk at startup and I would very much like to be able to use it with a
MacPlus.  Any help would be appreciated.
                                   Thanks, Rick Lytle, Dept. of Psych., PSU

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (07/12/86)

In article <6302LTW@PSUVM> LTW@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Ditto to the above request.  RamStart 1.21 (the latest version I've seen) will
>load a ram disk on my MacPlus BUT (1) varies the actual size of a presized ram
>disk as a function of the amount of cache memory installed in ram and (2) bombs
>when a system and finder are included in the same folder with it.  It is a
>great utility as it allows very large ram disks and automatic installation of a
>ram disk at startup and I would very much like to be able to use it with a
>MacPlus.  Any help would be appreciated.
>                                   Thanks, Rick Lytle, Dept. of Psych., PSU

I can't help with problem (1). But for problem (2) this patch has floated
around on MAUG (Compuserve) and Usenet. I can personally state that I applied
all three patches (including the hard disk, even though I have no hard disk)
to version 1.21.
As a result the following:

	1. If you install an autostart version on an HFS floppy, everything
	works fine, EXCEPT the floppy doesn't eject.
HOWEVER,
	2. If you install an autostart version on a 400K MFS floppy,
	everything works fine, AND the floppy ejects.
I use this mode.

One other exception?? to the everything works fine, the ramdisk is MFS.
(A side note: at one time I managed to create an HFS ramdisk with this
program, not in autostart mode, but I don't know now if it was the
patched or unpatched version, and I don't use it in the non-autostart
mode, and I haven't tried to repeat it. Just for your info)

I've used this patched version 1.21 since May, NO problems, (except
remembering to turn off the cache before using it).

From decwrl!decvax!ittatc!dcdwest!sdcsvax!ucbvax!ERNIE.BERKELEY.EDU!hamachi Thu Apr 17 18:33:45 PST 1986

Here's a reposting of information I got from the MacQ BBS:

PATCHING OF RAMSTART VERSIONS 1.21 AND 1.22 TO OPERATE WITH MAC 128K ROM'S:

	This file contains information on patching of the freeware program
RamStart, to operate correctly with the new Mac ROM's referred to above. Par-
ticularly, these patches allow the ramdisk to be used automatically at
startup to create a new startup ramdisk containing System and Finder files.
It is this function which RamStart (and other ramdisks) lost with the advent of
the new ROM's.

	Information on patching both versions of the program is given, since
while many BBS's here and there carry version 1.22, the most current version
available on MAUG is version 1.21.  I was going to upload a patched version
of the program, but am not sure that's proper without the author's OK.  (I'm
simply a frustrated ramdisk user driven crazy by the inability of all current
(4/8/86) ramdisks to work automatically on startup with the new ROM's.)

	The information contained here--and all credit for getting it to MAUG--
belongs to Gary Boudreaux, CIS PPN 76344,2426, who had access to the RamStart
source and came up with these patches.

	The patching can be undertaken with MacTools, Fedit, MacZap or similar
utilities which are capable of searching for text strings and then writing
changed ones to disk.

*************************************

	To patch version 1.21:
	In sector $0C, offset $B4, replace 4EBA 0682
                                      with 4E71 4E71

   	In sector $0D, offset $17A, replace 6700 0012 006E 8000
                                       with 6000 0012 006E 8000

If you're using a hard disk, you may need to apply the following patch (Gary
had to use it for both the Corvus and the Warp Nine):

   		In sector $06, offset $190, replace 41FA 0388
                                               with 6000 000C
 The symptom for this last problem is a message "can't find our drive #".

*************************************

To patch version 1.22:
	In sector $0C, offset $36, replace 4EBA 0678
                                      with 4E71 4E71

   	In sector $0D, offset $F8, replace 6700 0012 006E 8000
                                      with 6000 0012 006E 8000

If you're using a hard disk, you may need to apply the following patch (Gary
had to use it for both the Corvus and the Warp Nine):

   	In sector $06, offset $132, replace 41FA 0384
                                       with 6000 000A
The symptom for this last problem is a message "can't find our drive #".

***********************************

	To his original work, Gary added the following note: " RamStart uses a
DRVR 10, which is a problem if you're using AppleTalk.  To get around this,
pick a driver number which isn't being used in your system file, and use
ResEdit to change the DRVR number in RamStart (I used 11 on my system)."

	I can personally verify from a week of heavy use the flawless operation
of the patches on v.1.21, but if you get into trouble with these patches,
you're on your own.

	If any of you are not familiar with this excellent free ramdisk, it is
in DL1 here as RAMSTA.BIN.  Information on its use is obtained by clicking the
"Help" button while running the program.  PLEASE read that info.,and
particularly note that you SHOULD NOT try to copy to another disk the System
File which you've created on this ramdisk.  (This is different from
Assimilation's disk, and important if--for example--you're thinking about
updating all 200 of your old System disks with the System file from the
ramdisk.)

--
 Jim Budler
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Once and for all: I like my Macintosh

dwb@well.UUCP (07/12/86)

I have posted RamStart 1.23 to mod.mac.binaries.  It should appear soon
at a site near you.  This one seems to work quite well with HFS as
long as everything is in the same folder, with subfolders not being
copied.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp			dwb.Delphi

	DOWN WITH FASCIST APPLE!

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (07/14/86)

RamStart doesn't seem to work at all with the cache enabled.  It also seems
that this combination wouldn't be extremely usefull, as the cache would
probably end up cacheing part of the ramdisk.

Why is it that my version of RamStart seems to work fine with my Plus
with no patches whatsoever?

jimb@amdcad.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <1984@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP> cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) writes:
>RamStart doesn't seem to work at all with the cache enabled.  It also seems
>that this combination wouldn't be extremely usefull, as the cache would
>probably end up cacheing part of the ramdisk.

True. Although mine works, it subtracts the cache size from the ramdisk
size leaving no space on the ramdisk. It bombs if it runs into the size
problem while attempting to load the system to the ramdisk.
>Why is it that my version of RamStart seems to work fine with my Plus
>with no patches whatsoever?

The unpatched version 1.21 works with the Mac+ except when attempting to
autostart. At the point where it hands off to the copied system it
bombs.
Creating a Ramdisk automatically, but without a system or finder in it works.
Creating a Ramdisk manually, copying system and finder to it, and launching
the finder works.

Only attempting to autoboot a Ramdisk fails.

The new HFS compatible Ramstart 1.23 seems to work fine in all modes.

--

cjn@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (07/17/86)

In article <12322@amdcad.UUCP> jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <1984@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP> cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) writes:
>The unpatched version 1.21 works with the Mac+ except when attempting to
>autostart. At the point where it hands off to the copied system it
>bombs.

No; My version autoboots with no problems at all and the ramdisk is the top
icon when I finally get a desktop.  This is running the old, deadly system -
I haven't used Ramstart with 5.3/3.2.  I have vague memories of someone telling
me that the problem was actually in the Chooser while using Appletalk, and
had nothing to do with an isolated Mac.

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (Norman Goodger) (07/18/86)

> 	If any of you are not familiar with this excellent free ramdisk, it is
> in DL1 here as RAMSTA.BIN.  Information on its use is obtained by clicking the
> "Help" button while running the program.  PLEASE read that info.,and
> particularly note that you SHOULD NOT try to copy to another disk the System
> File which you've created on this ramdisk.  (This is different from
> Assimilation's disk, and important if--for example--you're thinking about
> updating all 200 of your old System disks with the System file from the
> ramdisk.)
> --
>  Jim Budler
>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
>  (408) 749-5806
>  Usenet: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amdcad!jimb
>  Compuserve:	72415,1200

There is now version 1.23 out that should supposedly solve all the problems
not sure, just know it available.....
				Norm Goodger @ Bridge Communications
				Sysop--MacInfo BBS..415-795-8862