[net.micro.mac] Hooking up a MacIntosh Plus and a MacMicrovax

ugebrown@sunybcs.UUCP (Erik Brown) (06/27/86)

Last week I posted a request for information on hooking up a MacIntosh
Plus to a Microvax, and I received several very helpful replies, all of
which suggested using the Mac as a terminal and using communications
software like Macterminal or Kermit to do file transfers...

What I really would like to do is cook up some sort of high-speed link
using the Mac's SCSI connection.  The application involves driving a
synthesizer, and I would like the whole process to take place more or
less in real time.  The synthesizer is a Kurzweil 250, for which Kurzweil
provides something called the Macattach through which the MacIntosh drives
the synth using the MIDI protocol.  I want to run composing programs on
the Microvax, then send the output to the Mac, which will act like
a smart interface between the Microvax and the synth...I may also try
and control the synth directly without using MIDI.   Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Michael Domino

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (07/19/86)

In article <215@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugebrown@sunybcs.UUCP (Erik Brown) writes:
> The  synthesizer is a Kurzweil 250, for which Kurzweil
> provides something called the Macattach through which the MacIntosh drives
> the synth using the MIDI protocol.

The MACATTACH does not use MIDI.  It's a dedicated interface to the Kurzweil
mainly for getting at the MAC's disk drives for soundfile storage.  You can
drive the KURZWEIL midi-wise using the midi-in and a conventional MIDI unit.

But you knew that, didn't you?

-Ron