[net.micro.mac] Finder looses file...?!

mazur@endor.UUCP (07/16/86)

I've had a nasty experience with Finder 5.3: lost a file...

These are the circumstances: I usually keep the files I am working on right
on the desktop. When I am done with a file, it goes into a folder (by the
way, I'm using a 512k Mac with a HD20). This is what I had done a couple
of days ago with the document in question.

This morning I had a clear desktop - I had put everything into folders last
night. When I opened a folder, however, all of a sudden a file which used
to be on the desktop before I 'filed' it, reappeared in its previous position
on the desktop. I closed the folder and dragged the file back to its folder.
"Replace items with same name?". I clicked 'cancel', opened the folder to see
if the file was really there, which it was not! So I dragged the file again
back to its folder and this time I clicked 'ok'.

But when I opened the folder the file was gone altogether! It was neither on
the desktop, nor in the folder. I searched through various folders, but was
unable to find a trace of the file. Since I had just backed up my Hard Disk I
did not go through the trouble of searching the disk with one of the disk
editing tools - the file might have been rescued that way, but this definitely
is not the way things are supposed to be done!

Has anybody else ever seen this? Did I do something wrong? Finder problem?
Corrupted desktops?
Eric Mazur

_A_R_P_A_-_N_E_T:	mazur@harvard.harvard.EDU
_B_I_T_N_E_T:		mazur@harvunxh.bitnet
_U_U_C_P:							 /-----	mazur
					 		/  /---	_d_a_s_y!mazur
{seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!_h_a_r_v_a_r_d! ------
							\  \___	_l_a_s_e_x!mazur
							 \_____	_m_o_l_p_h_y!mazur

planting@uwvax.UUCP (07/17/86)

> I've had a nasty experience with Finder 5.3: lost a file...

The author of the previous message goes on to say that he put a file
from the desktop into a folder, and later it reappeared on the desktop.
He put it back into the folder, and the finder offered to "replace
items with the same name," etc.

The exact same things happened to me!

BBBBBBUUUUUUUGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/18/86)

In article <1043@rsch.wisc.edu>, planting@rsch.wisc.edu (W. Harry Plantinga) writes:

> > I've had a nasty experience with Finder 5.3: lost a file...
> >
> The author of the previous message goes on to say that he put a file
> from the desktop into a folder, and later it reappeared on the desktop.
> He put it back into the folder, and the finder offered to "replace
> items with the same name," etc.
>
> The exact same things happened to me!
>
> BBBBBBUUUUUUUGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

...by now, it nearly seemed like a feature, it happens so consistently ...((-:
and if you do a 'Put Away' from the file menu, to chase the file back into the
folder where it came from, more often than not, it will reappear on the desk-
top at a later time.  The only thing that fixes the problem reliably for me,
is to copy the file onto another disk, delete it, and copy it back.

Talking of bugs ...:

1)  you'd think you could, at least, COPY the name of disks/files/folders/
	Get Info comments from a write-protected disk.  but Nooooo......

2)  and lately, when copying as little as ONE file (or more), I see messages
	saying something to the effect:  "not enough space to do that.  please
	attempt to copy in several parts"   Huuuh??? copy 1 file in parts ???

3)  I don't think what happens inside Switcher counts as bugs (or does it?)
	when you try to open DeskAccessories and you've not allocated more than
	minimal space to the program, you don't get a message indicating that
	you are about to run out of space .... YOU RUN OUT OF SPACE AND HANG.

parent@suvax1.UUCP (07/19/86)

In the artical above the poster says he a file disapeared in a folder and when
he tried to copy over the top he got a message that the file already existed.
I just had the same thing happen to me!!!  I was using TML Pascal and my .pas
file vanished. When I tried to copy over it with my backup (Yes, I do make
them) I got the same message.  When I changed the "view" in the window to
by name there it was! I just took it out of the folder then put it back in
and changed back to view by icon and there it was.  I have no idea why this
happens but I hope this helps.

			Sean R. Parent