[net.micro.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #29

shulman@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (07/20/86)

[ I sent this to mod.mac Thursday but haven't seen it.  I guess I'll
stick to net.micro.mac until mod.mac works faster or they give me
moderator privs - Jeff ]

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 17 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10157)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10162)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10071)
     RE: MaxPrint on a + w/HD20
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Mac C for MPW? (Re: Msg 279)
     Extensible Desk Accessories
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 286)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 286)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 294)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 296)
     Dollars & Sense
     RE: Dollars & Sense (Re: Msg 10225)
     Toshiba 321 et.al.
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10247)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10258)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10326)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10286)
     INITs
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 292)
     Double Helix and new ROM's
     Flaming and Electronic Communications
     TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10302)
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10310)
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10310)
     Lightspeed Pascal Preview
     RE: Macintosh Programmers Workshop (Re: Msg 10255)
     MacWrite dies a horrible death
     RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10321)
     RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10331)
     MPW bugs
     RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
     Apple Positions
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10298)
     RE: MultiWrite review

From: FRIED (10162)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10157)
Date: 12-JUL 16:18 Business Mac

There's another approach.  I don't use software I can't copy.  Should I
inadvertently buy copy-protected software that I can't copy, I just leave it on
the shelf until I can.  That's happened a couple of times. There is currently
nothing on the shelf.

Bob

------------------------------

From: BILLIAM (10163)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10162)
Date: 12-JUL 17:27 Business Mac

I use Interlace also and find it a very powerful program but FAR short
of what it could be.  The REPORT section is much too confusing to set
up a complicated report. I would like to see a feature that lets one
construct a report the way you can construct a query - through dialog
boxes. You can do it on ONE file now but you can't ask for fields that
are linked to the current one without figuring it out manually.

Singular Software claims there will be an update coming around
September which I think is going to be a little closer to Helix in
constructing files and reports.

I have a different complaint with Interlace's protection scheme. As it
is now you can use your working copy of the program for 2 weeks before
inserting the MASTER to validate it for another 2 weeks. I travel with
my mac and have been on the road when the program asked for the MASTER
which was 700 miles away. I could have brought the master with me but
I forgot my working copy might expire while away.

This only happened once but once is enough to get your hair raised.

- Billiam

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (10164)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
Date: 12-JUL 17:43 Business Mac

I had a similar adventure with the software myself.

I stored the original (where I live In Montreal) and went on a trip using a
backup. I had brought everything (manual et all...) except for the original
which was back in Montreal.

Anyways, As I was working with the program 2 days after, it asked for
the master disk which I didn't bring. I accidently re-inserted the
backup and it worked.

I should try this again when it asks me for the master again to see if it was a
freak nuclear accident or just the way the software works.

Rich.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (10167)
Date: 12-JUL 18:48 Business Mac

This may be boneheaded and overtly personal view, but why not just use Helix?
There are still several mail-order places offering V.1 at under $80, and the
upgrade to 2.0 is free from Odesta. .l t
Best of all, of course, it is TOTALLY NON-COPY PROTECTED!

Alf

------------------------------

From: RONB (10157)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10071)
Date: 12-JUL 15:04 Business Mac

I agree that Interlace is a great prograam, especially at the price.
It is powerful, flexible, and surprisingly easy to work with and
figure out. I like it it lot. However, I think your statement about
the copy- protecton misses the point. If the (one) key disk that is
supplied goes to magnetic heaven, your business is frozen until you
can get a replacement. They do supply a second key disk for $10, but
that makes no sense. If they think I'll give it to a friend, then $10
is too cheap. If they think I'll keep it, $10 is too much for a disk.
It doesn't matter to me how often I have to stick the disk in the
drive, I just don't want to be left with a database I can't get into.
If they insist on protecton, they should have supplied two key disks,
so you can keep on working while one is replaced, should it go bad. I
know, I know, shut up and pay the $10! <grin>

Ron.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10197)
Subject: RE: MaxPrint on a + w/HD20
Date: 12-JUL 23:27 Network Digests

To: cjn@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth)

We have used MaxPrint with a Plus and Hard Disk 20 and it seems to work fine.

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: RSTICKLE (10215)
Date: 13-JUL 09:06 Business Mac

Speaking of copy protection, is anyone using Fullpaint? I was real interested u
until I heard it was copy protected. How good (bad) is the protection? I figure
I don't want anything I can't move after the crap I went threw trying to get
some things to 800K disks after going to the +, and sooner or later I'm sure
I'll get a hard disk. --Rick--

------------------------------

From: PEABO (282)
Subject: RE: Mac C for MPW? (Re: Msg 279)
Date:  12-JUL 23:17 Current Discussions

I'm not really a UNIX fan, but I appreciate having the tools that have
tradionally developed around UNIX (grep, diff, make).  I've been too
busy to ask Apple to include me in the beta test of MPW, but I am
eager to see it when it comes out.  On a negative note, Steve Jasik
(MACNOSY) is not impressed by the code coming out of the MPW Pascal.
He thinks that a better optimizer would shrink it down by 20-30% in
his MacNosy program.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (286)
Subject: Extensible Desk Accessories
Date:  13-JUL 06:24 Current Discussions

Peter asked me to start a thread on extensible DAs.  There are several
reasons one would want such DAs.  The first is synergy -- if a product
like MacLightning could actually correct text, it'd be much more
useful.  The second is Apple's ever-annoying limit of 14 DAs.  How
many DAs that show a list of files and let you do something to one of
them do you need?  One should be sufficient, but a DA that does
everything would be too big for many people to install.  Hence plug-in
modules would be handy.  My thoughts are that DAs should make the
minimum amount of information available to be extensible.  Not only
does this protect the designer's code, it also lets him expand the
product without having to worry too much about keeping things
compatible.  I've only been able to think of ways to extend my own
DAs; I hope the rest of you can come up with some different ideas.
Acta 1.1 will have some hooks so that other programs can get at its
data structures.  It should be possible to write a DA that could print
the open Acta document.  If you want this information, mail me a
proposal.  (Note that the Acta document format is already available in
the databases here.)  The next release of miniWRITER will put the
TextEdit handle in the window's refCon.  This would allow spelling
checkers to correct text. Or a compiler could compile the text.  I'm
thinking of putting a feature in DiskInfo so hackers could add items
to the menu.  New items would call a code resource, which could do
such things as display, copy, or even launch a file.  Presumably these
items would be disabled unless a file was selected (tho this would
make person X's idea of show contiguous block [sorry, but I just
trashed my hard disk and lost your message] unworkable).  I'd be
passing something like an SFReply to your routine.

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (294)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 286)
Date:  13-JUL 20:55 Current Discussions

I like the concept of extensible Da's, definitely. It seems to me that
they are so incredible diverse, it would take some doing to come up
with any standard format for such a thing, though.  Interesting note,
some spelling checker will work on a DA. MacGAS from enterset is one
(although it crashes a lot, it does find the word and replace it). I'm
not sure how they are locating the textedit record.  Your idea of
putting the handle in the window refcon is great, unless it's being
used (I use it in my own textedit DA).  Have to give this some
thought.  Jan

------------------------------

From: PEABO (296)
Date:  13-JUL 21:48 Current Discussions

Re: extensibility -- another benefit is that these same plug in
modules could connect with something other than a DA, such as an
application in Servant or somebody's Standard File interface in a
random application program, and only the base module would have to
change.  I am thinking about that list of ten chanlleges to the Mac
sommunity (Meyer's?) from the Network Digests a while back ... he was
talking about gluing together small modules.

This is an extension of the idea of DA's ... that rather thatn
building large integrated applications, all from scratch everytime,
and reinventing the wheel, take the things that people have developed
as highly-refined modules and be able to configure them into a custom
functional array.

By the way, JIMH's idea wouldn't be impossible under your scheme, David, just
pass something else to the hook when no file is selected, or allow window or
disk hooks to be activated by certain buttons.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (300)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 294)
Date:  14-JUL 03:29 Current Discussions

I wasn't thinking of doing anything on a standard basis; my methods for Acta,
DiskInfo, and miniWRITER are different.  I suppose if one wanted a single
standard, one would put the global base in the window's refCon.  Actually, it'd
be more standard to put the global base at dCtlStorage (which is what I think
LightspeedC does), but I don't like that idea for lots of reasons.  I suspect
refCon is less often used than dCtlStorage.

It's possible to patch one of the TextEdit routines (I think it's a low-level
one, Meredith Lesly discovered it) to save the current TEHandle somewhere;
MacGAS could be doing that.  Of course, programs like MacWrite and QUED don't
use TextEdit.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (310)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 296)
Date:  15-JUL 21:15 Current Discussions

My idea for DiskInfo extensibility was simply that anyone could add a
line to the menu's STR resource.  A better way would be to use
AddResMenu.  Different resource types would indicate that the option
works from the disk display or the file display.

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (10225)
Subject: Dollars & Sense
Date: 13-JUL 16:12 Business Mac

Have you had any bad experience with Dollars & Sense version 1.4. I
have an earlier version that doesn't run reliably under the new ROMs.
Monogram says that version 1.4 works with HFS and the 128K ROMs. They
are charging $45.00 for an upgrade (which seems steep since it looks
to me like a bug fix). Do you have any knowledge or hearsay about this
version of this product not working?

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (10230)
Subject: RE: Dollars & Sense (Re: Msg 10225)
Date: 13-JUL 18:36 Business Mac

I have version 1.3 of Dollars and Sense and it seems to work fine with the 128K
ROMs, so long as its special little files are in its own folder or the Blessed
Folder. There's an odd bug that appears if you have any MENU resources in the
System file, but that doesn't happen often.

- Loftt

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (10226)
Subject: Toshiba 321 et.al.
Date: 13-JUL 16:12 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone used the Toshiba 321 (or 341 or 351) 24-pin printer with the Mac? If
so, what has been your experience? Also, what did you use for a printer driver.
The only one I know of is ToshStart from Soft Style. Are there others?
I would like to be able to mix letter quality text with graphics. The
Imagewriters are too slow and too low-quality. The Toshiba printer supports
high-resolution graphics and a good near-letter-quality. I wonder how well the
Mac drives it.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10258)
Subject: RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10247)
Date: 13-JUL 23:18 Hardware & Peripherals

I'd be surprised if you found any dot-matrix printers that work as well as the
ImageWriter, overall, with the Mac.  Two tips for better output are: use the
Boston II font or print out then reduce (78% or 85%) with a copier. We used to
do that for "Handle" and the result was quite like letter-quality when we used
high-resolution mode before reducing.  (Used Geneva font back then).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (10286)
Subject: RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10258)
Date: 14-JUL 18:43 Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks. My objections to the IW are two: too slow, too rough. I'm hoping that
someone has a driver that uses the Toshiba internal font for characters (i.e.,
as a letter quality printer like the Diablo 630) and the graphics for Mac
graphics. Is this possible to do?
Thanks for the advice about reducing. I'll try it.

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (10338)
Subject: RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10326)
Date: 15-JUL 20:43 Hardware & Peripherals

I called SoftStyle. They have evidently just released new versions of all their
printer drivers. Say they are much faster. The Toshiba driver comes with Mac
fonts that emulate the built-in (ROM) fonts in the printer, so that you can get
a good representation of the text as it will print. Sounds good.

------------------------------

From: HALL (10344)
Subject: RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10286)
Date: 15-JUL 22:48 Hardware & Peripherals

If you want to use the Toshiba's internal fonts for printing, just
print in draft mode.  You can set up the default font using dip
switches, and the text will be printed in that font.  With my Epson, I
can select the type font from the printer's keypad, so I can print
easily in any "font" that I choose (NLQ, draft, italic, etc.).
Normally, though, I'd just use a font in the document and print using
medium or high quality.  All of this should be taken care of by the
driver.  All you really have to worry about are the driver itself and
the proper cable.  Printers Plus is a good place to buy a printer.
Their prices aren't exactly the lowest (close, though), but they're
fast and seem to know a lot more than anybody else.  I was looking for
an FX-185 , and they told me about the FX-286 a month before anybody
else had heard about it.  I had the printer before most of the other
places knew it existed.

Brian

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (292)
Subject: INITs
Date:  13-JUL 18:13 Programming Techniques

        Has anyone made a list of the System 3.2 INITs and what they do?
I was about to try my hand at disassembling them, but then thought I'd much
rather not reinvent the wheel unless I have to.
                - Lofty

------------------------------

From: JIMH (306)
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 292)
Date:  14-JUL 23:39 Programming Techniques

Lofty, here is some brief documentation on the init resources.  i would be glad
to send you ad to send you the sources, any help in deciphering them furthur
would be a appreciated.  jim
System 3.2 Inits

0 -  Keyboard translator (vector to this placed in KeyTrans)
     Converts from keycode to ascii
     appears to do something else havent had a chance yet to check it out
1 -  Keypad translator (vector to this placed in Key2Trans
     Converts keypad codes to ascii
2 -  Error handler
3 -  patch OpenResFile ROM routine
     Checks for minifinder and uses it if four conditions are satisfied
      1. this one i cant figure out (SDENABLE what is it ?)
      2. is the option key pressed ( run finder if so)
      3. is findername = current application name
      4. is there a file called minifinder on disk
     If all of these pass the name minifinder replaces finder in the current
     application name. and old openResFile routine called.
13 - patch OpenRF, and something else?
     OpenRF - I havent looked at the code yet
     other - I dont know its trap number appears to be blockmove but is is
     checking FMStyleTab + 5 which has something to do with the font manager
     i havent had a chance to look into it yet.
31 - reads other init resource from files
35 - has something to do with the disk cache
     appears to load the cache software in from resource file among other
     things.

------------------------------

From: JOJ ( 10248)
Subject: Double Helix and new ROM's
Date: 13-JUL 21:55 Bugs & Features

I am running a 512 Mac with a 10 meg hyperdrive.  Up until last week I was
running system 3.2 and finder 5.3 with no obvious problems.  Last week I
upgraded to new ROM's and internal drive.  I have had major problems running
Double Helix programs since the upgrade.  Templates of complex forms no longer
fit the page (up to 15% wider than before upgrade).  In addition, I have had a
number of system crashes when I least expect them. Most are ID=02, one was
ID=q9.  I  have the hyperdrive cache set off and the system ram cache set off.

Any ideas on what is going on???  Thanks

Jerald Jacobson

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10275)
Subject: Flaming and Electronic Communications
Date: 14-JUL 09:31 Telecommunicating

The latest newsletter from the Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
has an interesting reprint of an article from the New York Times (Tues., 2 Oct.
1984, p. C1) on how electronic communications tends to have more flaming and
emotional outbursts than face-to-face contact.  The article says that another
feature of computer conferencing is that it is much more democratic in letting
everyone express his opinions equally.

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
PO Box  717
Palo Alto, CA  94301
415-322-3778

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN (10302)
Subject: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK
Date: 14-JUL 23:13 Bugs & Features

Peter, I'm now running system 3.2/finder 5.3, and thought the bugs in
the scrapebook would be cured. However, last night, while copying and
pasting to Macpaint via the scrapbook, a couple of mysterious paint
"scraps" materialized out of the "twilight zone". Just like Rod
Steiger's T.V. show from 20 years ago, that had been bouncing around
the skies. Actually, the scrapbook file may have been created on old
system 3.1.1. After a couple of tries, it seemed to heal itself. Could
this be the explaination, or does 3.2 also have some problems with the
scrapbook? barry

------------------------------

From: PEABO (10310)
Subject: RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10302)
Date: 15-JUL 00:41 Bugs & Features

I recently heard of two problems with Scrapbook.  One of them only materializes
under some conditions when in the Finder (apparently the Scrapbook DA looks in
all open resource files, not just the scrapbook, and can sometimes find bogus
resources).  The other sounds like what you mentioned.  I never use the
scrapbook, so I haven't personally encountered either of these difficulties.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (10346)
Subject: RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10310)
Date: 15-JUL 23:36 Bugs & Features

I used to get old scrapbook picts appear in the clipboard instead of
what was on the screen... till I noticed that those old scrapbook
items were PageMaker items...

So I started ResEdit and removed the ALDU resources that were added
from PageMaker in the scrapbook. When I returned, everything could
then be fixed with cut/paste.

Rich

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10375)
Date: 16-JUL 04:22 Bugs & Features

I don't think it's bogus resources, it's a trashed SMAP resource (which is how
the Scrapbook keeps track of what resources are on what page).

------------------------------

From: PEABO (10305)
Subject: Lightspeed Pascal Preview
Date: 15-JUL 00:20 Programming

Lightspeed Pascal, the newest innovation from THINK Technologies, was called by
the codename "Quicksilver" during its development, according to Andrew Singer
and Eric Gould of THINK who were at the July 9 meeting of the Boston Computer
Society Macintosh Users' Group to show a preview of their new product. This
event marks the two year anniversary of the debut of MacPascal, which THINK
developed for Apple as the interactive program development for the rest of us.
MacPascal has never been a system for serious development, even though its
debugging tools are superb (line-by-line execution, breakpoints, ability to
observe the values of program variables in a separate window, and instant
evaluation of expressions based on the value of runtime variables).  With the
debut of Lightspeed Pascal, the developers at THINK have given us the debugging
power of MacPascal and the speed of both compilation and execution that we saw
a few months ago in LightspeedC, combined in one product.

At the BCS meeting we saw a demo of the 8 Queens problem, first in MacPascal,
and then in Lightspeed Pascal.  What takes two and a half minutes to run in
MacPascal is over in 16 seconds using Lightspeed Pascal.

Lightspeed Pascal (let's call it LSP for short) uses the same project
structure as LightspeedC (LSC).  There are some differences in the way
the menus are laid out, and what appears in the project list, and it
seemed able to add interface packages as required, a feature missing
from LSC.  The production of a clickable interface was not quite as
straightforward as with LSC, requiring a minor modification to the
source file.  A new feature from LSC is the use of a graphic bar to
show percentage of compilation.

Even though this is a compiler (unlike MacPascal, which is an interpreter), it
still has the debugging features of MacPascal:  instant, observe, text, and
drawing windows, single step execution, and breakpoints, as well as support for
MacsBug for particularly intransigent problems.  There is no runtime package
required (a support library is linked in), there is no royalty for use of the
support library.  The program is not copy-protected, and will be sold starting
in August at a retail price of $125.

Code quality is estimated to be slightly less good (by 5-8%) than the Lisa
Workshop Pascal, which has a full dataflow optimizer.  However, THINK is
committed to an agressive product support strategy and will be issuing upgrades
in the future to both LightspeedC and Lightspeed Pascal.  At present, the only
support for assembly language is by use of the MDS package and the RELCONV
utility which translates .REL files into Lightspeed libraries.  There is no way
to combine LSP and LSC code in one program as yet.

Although LSP is not completely compatible with Lisa Pascal, the job of porting
code is not too onerous.  LSP is able to handle modules as large as 2500 lines
without difficulty, and can combine as many as 128 modules to form one program.
The toolbox interface is consistent with the May 85 Software Supplement, and
support for HFS and new ROM calls will be available soon.

peter

------------------------------

From: BMUG (10311)
Subject: RE: Macintosh Programmers Workshop (Re: Msg 10255)
Date: 15-JUL 00:44 Programming

When Apple finishes with MPW it will be the fastest develepment system
out in the open. I'm not to impressed with how fast programs compile
but how fast I can set down and have a running program. With MPW, I
think for the better programmers will be able to do it very quickly.
Of of course, I'm talking about the full MPW set-up.

Steve Costa/BMUG

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (10320)
Subject: MacWrite dies a horrible death
Date: 15-JUL 07:02 Bugs & Features

After an hour of typing, MacWrite went belly-up on my wife and blew away my
Plus.  No bomb box - all that was left were vertical stripes on my screen.

When I was running 3.1.1, MacWrite would bomb two or three times a week when it
got confused about where the clipboard was.  Curiously, it would only die on my
Plus while my 512K (also running 3.1.1) would chug along merrily.  It would die
when a low memory variable, which contains the clipboard handle, would turn up
zero.  When MacWrite found this, it would go into an infinite loop waiting for
the handle to reappear.  I never could re-create this on demand but it would
bite regularly.

Does anybody know why MacWrite has turned into a flakey beast on the Plus? Is
there anything I can to to avoid the intermittant crashes?
Marsh Gosnell

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10331)
Subject: RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10321)
Date: 15-JUL 12:38 Bugs & Features

Use Word.  My wife had similar problems (pre-Plus) and did much better with
Word, despite its less-obvious user interface.  Actually, the word processor in
the upcoming MS Works is probably the best compromise between ease-of-use and
functionality/reliability.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: PEABO (10334)
Subject: RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10331)
Date: 15-JUL 13:50 Bugs & Features

That still doesn't address Marsh's observation that MacWrite, one of the most
basic Mac applications around, seems to have trouble with *his* Plus at least.

I think he's asking why the Plus causes trouble, not why MacWrite is
not as good as MS-Word.  I use MacWrite on my Mac Plus a good deal
over the past few weeks, and didn't have any trouble with it.
Evidently there is something different about Marsh's machine, or he is
using cache (my favorite bugaboo), or his wife tends to use different
MacWrite features from what I use.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACNOSY (307)
Subject: MPW bugs
Date:  15-JUL 01:35 Current Discussions

I submitted the following bug report to Apple on the MPW Betsa release.
My first bug report complained about all the dumb bugs in the Shell editor.

Bug report from Steve Jasik  7/1/86

1) In the Pascal Quickdraw unit you omitted the call to Quickdraw2 and
    the subsequent declaration of the globals in it.  This causes the common
    block __Quickdraw or whatever you call it to be a bit on the short side.
    Unfortnately the ROM KNOWS that it is a bit longer ($CE bytes) and proceeds
    to clear memory.  In my case I loaded the Quickdraw globals at the bottom
    of my global area and it clobbered the return address when Nosy called
    InitGraf.

    While I at it on missing symbols the following didn't work:

cd {MPW}Aincludes
search /fontmetricrec/  6
ATalkEqu.a      DumpDefs.a      equ_macros      FixMath.a       FSEqu.a    6
FSPrivate.a     Graf3DEqu.a     HardwareEqu.a   PackMacs.a      PrEqu.a    6
Private.a       QuickEqu.a      SANEMacs.a      SCSIEqu.a       SonyEqu.a  6
SysEqu.a        SysErr.a        TimeEqu.a       ToolEqu.a                  6
Traps.a         Yanked.a

### search - Unable to open file        .
# File not found (OS error -43)
# Usage - search [-l] pattern [files...]
### MPW Shell - Execution of input terminated.
--
A very informative error message that tells me precisely what file it couldn't
find.  Typical Unix type shit.  If you went to the effort to put up a dialog

2) Rez syntax
  Why oh why did the designer pick the double quote as the string delimeter ??
  Double quotes appear in English text and error messages far more often
  then single quotes, and are used in Pascal, which is probably another good
  reason to pick them.

3)  The selection of commands in the File menu of the Workshop editor is more
        useful then those on the Mac.
        To jog your memory they are:
          Mac              Lisa WS
        ????               Save and Put Away/P  (save file and close window)
        Save a Copy        Save a copy in..
        Save               Save and Continue/S
        Revert to Saved    Revert
        Close              Throw Away/K

        After all, if this is a system for professionals with a Unix flavor,
        then you will allow one to close a file without a dialog box.

        Itried to add the following:
        AddMenu File 'Save & Close/P' 'Save "{Active}"; Close -y "{Active}"'

        but I get the following error when I use it:
        ### Close - 'A:MPW:Nosy_P:nosyo.p' can't be closed. (the top window)

4)  The find command is slow, (how about writing it in assembler?)
        and the lack of markers is a pain when moving code around, etc.
        It is a step backwards that increases my development time.
        The inability of the Shell to open files that are on a locked volume
        is a disaster.  I set the lock tab so dumb programs don't screw up my
        archived data.

4) Is there a way to easly move the line containing the insertion point to
  the make it the top line displayed in the window ??

5)  What happens to searchs where the search pattern contains blanks in a file
which contains tabs ??
Are you going to do the correct thing and check the pattern, and if it
contains blanks, then expand each line, etc.

6)  Manual page 9-139  search command
 In the Output section it states that "Search Prepends the filename"
 Is this word really in a dictionary?
 I think what the writer wanted is "prefixs".

      Also the manual documents the default print params as "-h" not "-h -r" .

7) How about generalizing the dbl clicking tricks for () {} and [] to
        handle begin end, repeat until and while end

8) How about organizing Appendix B and a command list as a cheat sheet
enclosed in Plastic??

9)  the output of Make consists of lines that are longer then the screen
        width.  This is a nuisance to read when one is debugging Make file.
        It should be changed to wrap lines.

10)  If I delete an application from Hard Disk HFS system with the new Finder
        in the Finder, and then remake the application in MPW.  I run into the
        problem that I cannot launch the application by clicking on one of its
        documents as you provide no way of updating the finder's tables in the
        desktop.

11)  MPW under Macworks 3.0 on an XL.  Bring it up and quit immediately,
        and things get fowled up in the Finder, garbage on the screen, etc.
        (We cannot repeatly produce these symptoms in a consistent manner)

12) Print Window to an ImageWriter.
   You appear to be doing something funny with the Header line, it looks funny.
   Also fix up your page setup.  Your going to near the bottom of the page.

Steve

------------------------------

From: PEABO (309)
Subject: RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
Date:  15-JUL 04:01 Current Discussions

On your point 10 ... delete and rebuild application causes the Finder to lose
track of what application to launch -- I don't understand why this happens. It
seems to me that deleting within the Finder should cause the entry in the
application table to get purged.  It is possible that the Inited bit is set on
the rebuilt application, and therefore the Finder doesn't know enough to update
the application table?  If not, it sounds like a Finder bug, not an MPW bug.  I
have had to use ResEdit to purge application table entries from the Desktop
before, but I have forgotten what led to needing to do this.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (10337)
Subject: Apple Positions
Date: 15-JUL 20:34 Mousing Around

Well, I can't decide if I want to be an Area Associate B or Contigency Planner.
Area Associate B sounds easier, just blame everything that goes wrong on the
Area Associate A.  Still, with the tremor activity in CA these days, the spot
of Contigency Planner might offer more true adventure.  Nah, I'll wait until
the position of Absurdist Associate C opens up... anyone know when Guy Kawasaki
is leaving? (grin)

Alf

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (10340)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10298)
Date: 15-JUL 21:35 Business Mac

Alf:

Let's hope it is as fast as FullPaint.  Maybe the sucker will be on sale at
MacWorld Expo in August.  In the mean time, did you know that holding down the
option key when you use 'Trace Edges' will perform the game of Life (Conway's)
on the selection rectangle in FullPaint?  Nifty huh?  I figure these are the
kind of thrills you live for...

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10372)
Subject: RE: MultiWrite review
Date: 16-JUL 04:21 Network Digests

to: Paul Sampson <entropy!pds@uw-beaver.arpa>
    I suspect you'll be hard pressed to find a review of MultiWrite -- I
talked to someone today who told me he'd called the company and learned it
wouldn't be out until 27 Sep.  Its original title was PreWriter, and the
earliest ad (October 85 MacWorld) I can find says "Available December 1985."
I wouldn't hold my breath, tho it does _look_ good.
    I'm sure MS Word has been reviewed; MacUser carried an article about
it in their May 86 issue.

End of Delphi Mac Digest