[net.micro.mac] Boston II and ImageWriter II

dan@uwmacc.UUCP (dan jatnieks) (07/17/86)

	Has anyone tried to print the Boston II manual to an
ImageWriter II ??  Has anyone gotten it to *work* ?!  I installed the
Boston II fonts into my Mac Plus/HD20 system and then tried to print
the documentation.  It shows up on the screen alright, but when I
tried to print the ImageWriter II just made some very annoying and
loud noises and printed pure garbage.  I then took it over to a
ImageWriter I and it worked fine.  I had pretty much forgotton about
it until someone said they had the same problem.  They were using a
Mac Plus and a ImageWriter II and got garbage when trying to print
the Boston II manual.  What's the problem here?  Could the Boston II
fonts be incompatible with the ImageWriter II?  Why would that be?

	Anyone have any ideas?

danj.
--

----------
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,

dan jatnieks

Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison C.S. Dept.
Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison Academic Computing Center (MACC) Micro Consultant

UUCP :   ...{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dan
ARPA :   dan@unix.macc.wisc.edu

USMAIL:    Work - c/o MACC-MIC         Home - 1301 Spring St.
                  1210 W. Dayton              Apt.#601
                  Madison, WI  53706          Madison, WI  53715
                  (608) 263-7744              (608) 251-6302
----------

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) (07/18/86)

In article <69@uwmacc.UUCP> dan@uwmacc.UUCP (dan jatnieks) writes:

>[Boston II manual won't print on ImageWriter II]
>
>What's the problem here?  Could the Boston II
>fonts be incompatible with the ImageWriter II?  Why would that be?
>
>	Anyone have any ideas?
>
>danj.

I didn't try to download the manual (I was too lazy, especially
at 300 BPS) but I did download the fonts. They print just fine on my
ImageWriter II. In fact, they look quite nice.

		    -Greg
--
Greg Brail  	(Greg @ The Soup Kitchen)
UUCP : ..{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,sri-iu,lll-crg,ut-sally,allegra}!caip!unirot!gjb

chuq@sun.UUCP (07/18/86)

> In article <69@uwmacc.UUCP> dan@uwmacc.UUCP (dan jatnieks) writes:
>
> >[Boston II manual won't print on ImageWriter II]
> >
> >What's the problem here?  Could the Boston II
> >fonts be incompatible with the ImageWriter II?  Why would that be?

I would guess that you are trying to print it with Microsoft Word.  The
Boston II manual is complex enough that it HAS to be printed with MacWrite
with the MacWrite fonts, or it won't work.

> I didn't try to download the manual (I was too lazy, especially
> at 300 BPS) but I did download the fonts.

If you didn't read the manual, you are missing most of the features of
Boston II.  Your loss.  That manual is also a great introduction to doing
readable text -- well worth reading just to learn to to write stuff that
looks good!

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq%plaid@sun.COM	 CompuServe: 73317,635
		{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!plaid!chuq

	O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim
	Of Brahamana and recluse the honoured name!
	For, quarrelling, each to his view they claim,
	Such folk see only one side of a thing.
		-- Buddha -- The Elephant and the Blind Men

tiedeman@ihu1g.UUCP (N. R Tiedemann) (07/22/86)

> 	Has anyone tried to print the Boston II manual to an
> ImageWriter II ??  Has anyone gotten it to *work* ?!  I installed the
> Boston II fonts into my Mac Plus/HD20 system and then tried to print
	I have the same set-up bought through the Univ. of Wis. student
	discount program just last April, (my wife is still a student
	there) namely, Mac+, HD20, ImageWriterII, and I have printed out the
	Boston II manual in both "best" and the medium grade mode. I had
	no problems with either of these.
	(My ImageWriter file is v2.1) We are still using the system and finder
	that were delivered with the Mac.

		Norm Tiedemann
		ihnp4!ihu1g!tiedeman (note one "n" here)
		AT&T Bell Labs
		(312) 979-3535