[net.micro.mac] Empire on the Mac

bates@bison.dec.com (07/16/86)

Jason De Mont (ihnp4!mtuxo!jasond) writes:

> A few years ago I was introduced to a "war-game" called Empire on a VAX
> running VMS.  My officemate just found a copy of the program to run on his
> AT&T PC 6300 Plus and it works wonderfully.  Has anybody seen this game
> for the Mac?  Or does anybody know where the original source code came from?
>
> If someone could direct me towards the source code, I would be happy to
> convert it for the Mac and distribute it on the net, assuming of course
> that the original author doesn't mind.

What you want is the game called "Strategic Conquest" written by Peter Merrill
and distributed by PBI Software Inc. It's almost an exact copy of Empire on VMS,
and if you liked Empire, you'll love this. It makes full use of the Mac graphics
and mouse, and with a few small exceptions such as aircraft range, plays an
identical game (including the size of the world). It even manages to compute the
shortest path, e.g., you click and drag an army from point A to point B, and if
the path crosses an ocean bay, the path will be re-routed around the bay in the
shortest possible manner.

All in all, if you're an Empire freak, I would highly recommend it.

 - Ken Bates

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) (07/22/86)

bates@bison.dec.com (Ken Bates	DTN 522-2039) writes:

>Jason De Mont (ihnp4!mtuxo!jasond) writes:

>> A few years ago I was introduced to a "war-game" called Empire on a VAX
>> running VMS.  My officemate just found a copy of the program to run on his
>> AT&T PC 6300 Plus and it works wonderfully.  Has anybody seen this game
>> for the Mac?  Or does anybody know where the original source code came from?

>What you want is the game called "Strategic Conquest" written by Peter Merrill
>and distributed by PBI Software Inc. It's almost an exact copy of Empire [..],
>and if you liked Empire, you'll love this. It makes full use of Mac graphics
>and mouse, and with a few small exceptions such as aircraft range, plays an
>identical game (including the size of the world). It even [...]

One other difference:  pieces can be stacked!  It's an excellent improvement
of the original, and shows a good sense of how to use the Mac interface
with a game

>All in all, if you're an Empire freak, I would highly recommend it.
>
> - Ken Bates

Ditto the recommendation.  There's a free demo-version that's got a limited
size map but is otherwise a full version of the game . . . if you'd like
a copy of it [binhex'd, of course] then write me.  If there's a lot of
response, then I'll think about posting it to net.sources.mac or
mod.<whateveritis>.  An excellent demo; I used to play it for hours.

-= Thomas Cox =-
CompuServe:  76317,3121
GEnie:  CLIPJOINT
UUCP:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn