[net.micro.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #30

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (07/23/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Wednesday, 23 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #55 (Re: Msg 10336)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #55 (Re: Msg 10377)
     RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10320)
     DECnet on the Mac
     Word on the Atari
     Copy pr*n
     RE: Copy pr*n (Re: Msg 10450)
     ResEdit
     RE: ResEdit (Re: Msg 312)
     RE: ResEdit (Re: Msg 312)
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 308)
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 313)
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 316)
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 326)
     RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
     RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 317)
     Smalltalk on the Mac
     RE: Smalltalk on the Mac (Re: Msg 323)
     DA Renumbering
     RE: Objective C
     RE: Objective C
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10242)
     Disk Recovery
     RE: Disk Recovery (Re: Msg 10470)
     Acta and FullPaint
     RE: Acta and FullPaint (Re: Msg 10488)
     RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
     RE: Running in place
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #56 (Re: Msg 10492)
     More Finder Switching Grief
     SCSI/Plus Horrors
     saving window coords
     Radius
     Locking Cursor!
     RE: Locking Cursor! (Re: Msg 10631)
     RE: Locking Cursor! (Re: Msg 10636)
     DATABASES
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10651)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10680)
     Re: Macintosh SCSI Hard disk
     RE: Usenet V2 #57 (Re: Msg 10678)
     Alter Ego (male)
     RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10674)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #57 (Re: Msg 10665)
     MPW Beta Release
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 300)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 348)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 349)
     Megamax Bug
      SCSI conversions
     memory upgrades

From: DDUNHAM (10377)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #55 (Re: Msg 10336)
Date: 16-JUL 04:23 Network Digests

to:  Jim Laing  laing@fgvaxu.dec.com
    If a program doesn't have the size in the menu, you're probably out of
luck.  It is possible to write a program to output MacWrite documents in
any size, and there is such a document floating around "public domain"
circles.  You just select text from that document, and retype, since
MacWrite keeps the style of the replaced text.

to:  Mark Klein  mklein@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU
    The difference is $80.  Apple's Mac+ upgrade does use round mini-DIN8
connectors (rather than DB9s) for the modem and printer ports, and these
new ports don't have +5V (which ThunderScan used).  But software-wise,
there's no difference between a 512e and a Mac+.

to:  mdm0@bunny.UUCP (Michael Maggio)
    Don't know about the PICT file, but if you get a MacDraw picture to
the Scrapbook as a PICT resource (i.e. Copy and Paste), you can paste it
into your own resource file with ResEdit and use all the normal Quickdraw
on it.

to:  twleung@burdvax.UUCP (Theodore W. Leung)
    Note that Living Videotext did not really use the User Interface
Guidelines, if the ad is any guide (which I doubt).  "If the document
window is inactive, the scroll bars aren't shown at all."  [IM I-47]  And
I-46 says that the size box isn't shown in inactive windows.  On the other
hand, the ad doesn't show zoom boxes, which I'm told MORE does have, and
which are part of the user interface guidelines (hopefully in volume IV).
    BTW, your price for Acta was too high.  (signed, the author)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10387)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #55 (Re: Msg 10377)
Date: 16-JUL 15:33 Network Digests

to:  Mark Klein  mklein@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU
Apple said on CompuServe that there were three components of the Mac Plus
power supply which were upgraded over the previous power supply.  I don't
believe that the upgrade kit touches the analog board, so my conclusion is
that a Mac Plus has a more robust power supply than an upgraded Mac 512K.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: RAYSANDERS (10446)
Subject: RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10320)
Date: 17-JUL 23:00 Bugs & Features

Hi, heres a thought on the macWrite mystery. MacTutor, July 1986,
mentions something about a Resource Manager bug in the 128k ROM's. The
bug would only affect the MacPlus. It is supposed to be patched
starting with System release 3.2 (Finder 5.3). This bug apparently
caused enough problems with pageMaker, that Aldus sent out postcards
to all registered owners telling them to upgrade ASAP to 3.2.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10422)
Subject: DECnet on the Mac
Date: 17-JUL 14:59 Business Mac

I called Technology Concepts, Inc. today to find out about DECnet for
the Mac.  They were quite secretive, but I ended up talking with Gigi
Wong in marketing.  She said that they have DECnet implementations for
other computers (MS-DOS, Unix), but have not found a marketing reason
to pursue DECnet for the Mac yet.  (I got the impression that they may
have investigated the feasibility a bit ...)

Technology Concepts, Inc.
40 Tall Pine Dr.
Sudbury, MA 01776
617-443-7311

By the way, if someone wants to pry harder into the "feasibility," you might
want to try to get a Sam Thorat (spelling?) to open up a bit.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10427)
Subject: Word on the Atari
Date: 17-JUL 15:53 Mousing Around

"InformationWEEK" (July 14, p. 41) reports that Microsoft has ported
Macintosh Word to the Atari ST.  It will be called Microsoft Write and
will be distributed by Atari.

(OK, Guys, you through with all those other computers now?  How about
a new Word for the Mac, huh!)

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10450)
Subject: Copy pr*n
Date: 17-JUL 23:33 Business Mac

A friend of mine, John T Sapienza, Jr, thinks we are calling what
software companies do to us the wrong thing.  "'Protection' makes it
sound warm and fuzzy and a good thing; 'Copy Protection' makes it
sound proper and legal.  Let's call it a more descriptive and more
neutral term: It's _'Copy Prevention'_ and that's what we object to."

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (10459)
Subject: RE: Copy pr*n (Re: Msg 10450)
Date: 18-JUL 00:35 Business Mac

I agree that "Copy Protection" isn't the most fitting term for the metallic
inclined-plane device.  Still, "Copy Prevention", while more neutral, doesn't
exactly describe it either, since one can always make a copy with enough
determination (and maybe a micro-laser).  So, I'm suggesting an even more
descriptive, if less-neutral term: "Copy-Perversion".

Given recent Supreme Court rulings and Presidential Commission reports,
companies might think twice before they release "Copy-Perverted" software!

;-o Alf

------------------------------

From: RJWM (312)
Subject: ResEdit
Date:  15-JUL 22:40 Developers' Corner

Is there an easy way around the following problem: Whenever I modify a
program with ResEdit then save it, all large code segments (probably >
32K) are lost. Is there a 32K limit to resource size in the latest
version of ResEdit? -Richard

------------------------------

From: PEABO (315)
Subject: RE: ResEdit (Re: Msg 312)
Date:  16-JUL 00:32 Developers' Corner

There is generally speaking a real problem with CODE resources larger than 32K,
and I'm surprised that you would run across any.  (There is some discussion in
the Tech Notes about this problem).

However, I had the idea that ResEdit has trouble with any resource larger than
about 16K.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (319)
Date:  16-JUL 21:55 Developers' Corner

That was a problem with 64K ROMs, I thought...

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (313)
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 308)
Date:  16-JUL 00:03 Programming Techniques

Does any know what Managers can or can't be called in an INIT ?

A lot of people want to write an INIT0 for those disks that shouldn't be booted
from (like club disks, or filled datadisks )

Any info would be grately appreciated.

Rich

------------------------------

From: PEABO (316)
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 313)
Date:  16-JUL 00:34 Programming Techniques

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that *any* manager can be called
from an INIT.  INIT's do not contain programs, they are subroutines of
the initialization process.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (326)
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 316)
Date:  17-JUL 10:53 Programming Techniques

Well basically when you see that you have about 10K left on a disk and
you say to yourself: Instead of having this thing be speweted out (??)
when I try to boot from it, why not have a program (similar to the
BMUG disks) that will tell the user that the disk must be booted with
a proper system (talk about making it user friendly)...

Anyways, the only thing that comes to mind is to write an INIT ID=0
... and get rid of all the rest.

So I did that... except that it bombs when I call InitWindows... so, is there
another routine/pointer that must be setup prior to InitWindows???

Before that I'm calling InitGraf & Co. described in IM.

What about InitResources???

Any ideas?

Rich.

"A Smith & Wesson beats 4 Aces."

------------------------------

From: JIMH (329)
Subject: RE: INITs (Re: Msg 326)
Date:  17-JUL 19:12 Programming Techniques

Rich, i helped our club librarian write an init program for our disk,
we didnt use or need init windows, just wrote zeros to the screen to
clear it and moved a bit image save using the bitnapper DA from
mactutor to the screen.  if you are interested i will see if he will
upload it.  jim

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (317)
Subject: RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
Date:  16-JUL 04:24 Current Discussions

I don't have MPW, but I'd say single quotes are used much more frequently than
double quotes in average text (if you'd check out this sentence, you'll see why
I think so).  In any case, your resources shouldn't use _either_, but should
instead use "smart quotes" (the parity quotes from option brackets).

------------------------------

From: PEABO (321)
Subject: RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 317)
Date:  16-JUL 22:19 Current Discussions

And resources whould probably be built using ResEdit, so they need not be put
into artificial programming syntax anyway!

peter

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN (323)
Subject: Smalltalk on the Mac
Date:  17-JUL 04:30 Programming Techniques

did my two meg expansion onto the Mac now, and loaded the level1 ST
image for the first time. wow. really nice to see the full
implementation: all the neat stuff that had to be stripped out to fit
inside the 512 image and makes the environment luxurious. as I haven't
had time yet to actually do more than Browse around, I just want to
list this as inviting comments and suggestions for

a) things to try
b) more experienced Smalltalk programmer's comment/suggestions
c) finding who else has the system

etc.

I am very pleased with the Max2 board as a much more reasonable
upgrade than the Plus board if you don't really need the SCSI: the new
ROMs and this board will keep me happy for a long time i think.

godfrey

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (345)
Subject: RE: Smalltalk on the Mac (Re: Msg 323)
Date:  21-JUL 03:13 Programming Techniques

Godfrey:

I played with ST Level 1 about six months ago and was tickled pink by
it. Lots of educational value there.  I thought the various graphics
demos were fun and the bitmap (form) editors are neat.  I am going to
get a 12MHZ human touch machine pretty soon so Smalltalk will run even
faster!  I am really bummed out that the March SS didn't include order
forms for a new rom compatible version of smalltalk.  If anyone sees
one, please let me know.  By the way, my current project is a Browser
similar (at least in appearance) to its Smalltalk brethen and contains
all the reference info in IM.  Of course its a DA.  Hope to show it
off at MacWorld Boston.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (325)
Subject: DA Renumbering
Date:  17-JUL 06:50 Software Supplement

        I'm working on a new version of DA Key, in a form that (I think)
makes it easier to use and more robust than the older versions or than
Other...  To do this, I have to be able to renumber DA owned resources
on the fly. At present, I do the following:

        1. Renumber all owned resources within the lawful range for
owned resources of the owner's ID.

        2. Patch DITL references in DLOG and ALRT resources.

        3. Patch MDEF resources in MENUs (unless the MDEF has an ID of
zero).

        4. Patch Resource Control items, Icon items, and Pic items in
DITL's.

        I have two questions: first, can anyone think of anything else
I should be prepared to patch?  And second, if you know of any DA's that
use MENU resources, Icon items, Pic items, etc., could you let me know?
I've simulated a couple for testing, but I'm having quite a time finding
DA's with resources like that (in fact, I seem to have only one DA that
has its own MENU resource).

        - Lofty

------------------------------

From: PEABO (10462)
Subject: RE: Objective C
Date: 18-JUL 02:04 Network Digests

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 16:14:14 edt
>From: ms1g@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman)
>Subject: Objective C

>Does anyone have information on Objective C, specifically 1) does an
>implementation exist for the Macintosh, 2) does an implementation exist for
>Unix and 3) what is the name/address/phone of the company/group responsible
>for it?

The July 86 issue of UNIX/World has an article on Objective C and C++; I
haven't read the article yet, so I can't comment in more detail.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10522)
Date: 19-JUL 06:00 Network Digests

I read that article, it wasn't very exciting.  It showed a stack done in C,
Objective C, and C++.  Source code to C++ is $2K from AT&T.  I've heard
something about Apple's C+- which is a subset, but can't remember what I heard.

------------------------------

From: LAMG (10465)
Subject: RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10242)
Date: 18-JUL 02:36 Business Mac

According to ICON Review the other day, MultiWrite won't be available until
September 27th.  -Franklin Tessler

------------------------------

From: MCBRIDE (10470)
Subject: Disk Recovery
Date: 18-JUL 07:09 Mousing Around

Does anyone know of any good disk recovery programs.  I have had
several disks receintly that had the initial sectors clobered (disk
directory etc.) Fedit Plus bombs on one of them, and its dificult to
get the files back with it anyway.  Don

------------------------------

From: STOSH (10476)
Subject: RE: Disk Recovery (Re: Msg 10470)
Date: 18-JUL 08:58 Mousing Around

If it's MFS use MacTools, it has done the job for me once or twice.  I am not
sure it works on HFS yet.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10488)
Subject: Acta and FullPaint
Date: 18-JUL 13:43 Bugs & Features

This shouldn't be surprising, but I thought I'd note it:  Cutting and pasting
large graphics between FullPaint and Acta sometimes results in a bomb (ID=03).
I avoided it by closing FullPaint documents before opening Acta.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10504)
Subject: RE: Acta and FullPaint (Re: Msg 10488)
Date: 18-JUL 23:43 Bugs & Features

How much memory does FullPaint require?  I've heard it's plenty...and large
graphics could perhaps cause problems because of the Undo requirements.

(Note I'd have to borrow a copy of FullPaint to check...I refuse to buy it when
SuperPaint might come out, unprotected.)

------------------------------

From: DWB (333)
Date:  18-JUL 04:28 Current Discussions

On point number two.  Rez uses double quotes as string delimiters for
a reason similar to your logic that he single quotes should be used
because Pascal uses them.  He just alters it to, double quotes are
used because C uses them.  The author, is after all, a C hacker, not a
Pascal hacker.  Just a slight difference in preferences.

David

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10508)
Subject: RE: Running in place
Date: 19-JUL 00:49 Network Digests

to: dtt@unirot.UUCP (David Temkin) Subject: Running in place

Perhaps a performance improvement of 2 times and a cost reduction of 2 times (
making a few assumptions) isn't too bad in 4 years at the state of the art.

Ric Ford, "MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10524)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #56 (Re: Msg 10492)
Date: 19-JUL 06:01 Network Digests

to: bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey)
>is there any way to tell the Resource Manager that I want to make a
>resource larger?

I think a SetHandleSize followed by a ChangedResource will do it.

to: dtt@unirot.UUCP (David Temkin)
It also ran slower than a Mac and cost $10K.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10528)
Subject: More Finder Switching Grief
Date: 19-JUL 08:59 Bugs & Features

OK, here's another problem with the Finder switching from ejectable disks:

The Bernoulli Box SCSI drives mark disks as ejectable.  This makes sense,
because they _are_ ejectable and sometimes you want to eject one and insert
another one in a Standard File dialog.  However, the nice System 3.2 HFS
directories on your cartridges lose their icons and turn into a mess when you
launch a program on a floppy which has an old System on it.  Like a lot of
copy-perverted programs ...

Is Iomega wrong?  I don't think so.  Should the user have to power off
his or her system, buy patching programs, and generally spend hours
hassling with copy- perverted programs when he or she runs into this
situation?

As an interim measure, I'd like to see a new LockFinder utility that works on
Finder 5.3.

Ric Ford

"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10536)
Subject: SCSI/Plus Horrors
Date: 19-JUL 14:57 Bugs & Features

RICKLEPAGE has spent close to a week with 3 Mac Plusses, 3 different SCSI
drives, one MaxPlus 2MB memory upgrade and HFS Backup in a constant cycle of
trashed Systems, unbootable SCSI drives, and miscellaneous fatal errors.

It's positively weird.  I know the description is vague, but does anyone have
solid ideas as to:

-AC power problems
-RFI problems
-voltage drops caused by the combination of SCSI bus loads and memory loads
-bad SCSI ports
-timing problems/extra RAM/SCSI resets

that might shed light on this mess??  Rick will be back online eventually, we
hope, to tell the stories, but advice based on experience would be very welcome
at the moment.

Ric Ford

"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (339)
Subject: saving window coords
Date:  20-JUL 00:17 Current Discussions

A couple people have suggested that my DAs save the coordinates of the window
with the file.  I don't really want to do this, but there are pros as well as
cons.

The obvious reason to do so is that the user carefully made the window
that size and presumably wants it that way in the future.  This isn't
always true, especially for DAs.  The size and position of the window
might be just great for putting next to a MacWrite document, but in
the Finder the other windows are likely to be quite different.  In my
own use, I generally keep my miniWRITER windows their original size,
sometimes using the zoom box.  Since I may sometimes save zoomed,
sometimes not, I don't think miniWRITER would be doing me any favors
one way or the other if it remembered the window.

A very good reason not to remember window position is that a document may be
viewed on different screens.  Frex, I might save a document on a MegaScreen (
1024x1024) in a position that leaves the entire window offscreen on a Mac+. (
This problem exists even with Apple equipment:  the XL.)

The most obvious way to add something like this is with a resource,
which means that Acta documents would take up 1K extra on a 400K disk
and 512 bytes extra on 800K disks.  This may not be a serious issue
for DS disks, but it can be for single sided (I've gone through disks
deleting resource forks in order to make room!).

Presumably the coordinates should only be saved when the user does a
Save, tho I suppose a case could be made that a document should be
viewed the same way next time.  Would window sizing thus be counted as
a change to be saved when you close the document (i.e. the user should
be reminded)?  Should Undo work with it?

------------------------------

From: FRACTAL (10586)
Subject: Radius
Date: 20-JUL 15:29 Business Mac

There lots of non-information this weekend over on CIS regards Andy
Hertzfeld's and other's new company called Radius. The San Jose paper
today says their going to debut a new Mac perpherial at the Boston
MacWorld show.  Mark Zimmer and I heard a rumor that they were doing a
very high quality sound product (completing with us, sigh!), but Andy
directly denied that to Mark???  Anyone who _can_ comment willing to
comment out there?  Tom Hedges

------------------------------

From: LAMG (10631)
Subject: Locking Cursor!
Date: 21-JUL 01:51 Bugs & Features

An annoying bug reared its ugly head today for the first time since I
switched over to System 3.2/Finder 5.3 recently - when I open the
System Folder on the desktop by double-clicking on it (but not by
using the menu), the cursor freezes in position - mouse clicks are
still acknowledged as are keyboard commands.  The cursor just stays
locked in position.  I'm running a Mac Plus with a DataFrame 20, by
the way.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?  (Actually, I rarely use the Finder but
it still is very annoying and worrisome.)

-Franklin Tessler

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (10636)
Subject: RE: Locking Cursor! (Re: Msg 10631)
Date: 21-JUL 02:59 Bugs & Features

I've had that problem in the past, I think it has something to do with
corrupted desktop files.  If you have TMON, you can unfreeze the
mouse. The only fix that I know of is to copy the folder contents to a
new folder and trash the bad folder.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LAMG (10668)
Subject: RE: Locking Cursor! (Re: Msg 10636)
Date: 21-JUL 23:35 Bugs & Features

I bet you're right about the corrupted desktop - once when it happened
I moved all the files from the "bad" folder onto the desktop and moved
them one by one into a new folder... after one particular file was
moved to this new folder, the cursor froze.  -Franklin

------------------------------

From: 0221 (10651)
Subject: DATABASES
Date: 21-JUL 21:01 Business Mac

I AM LOOKING FOR A DATABASE THAT WILL BE GOOD FOR MAILING LISTS AND HAS A
MAILMERGE FEATURE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CAN GET.

------------------------------

From: BMUG (10680)
Subject: RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10651)
Date: 22-JUL 03:21 Business Mac

I recommend OverVUE from ProVUE development corp for that sort of thing... it
works pretty well.  BMUG uses it!

-- Raines Cohen
SYSOP, BMUG BBS

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10690)
Subject: RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10680)
Date: 22-JUL 16:38 Business Mac

How about the upcoming M.S. Works?

Ric

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (10678)
Subject: Re: Macintosh SCSI Hard disk
Date: 22-JUL 02:27 MUGS Online

To: sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne @ SLI) Subject: Macintosh SCSI Hard disk

> Using the best case, a fast blind transfer will still only allow you to
> format with a 2:1 interleave (not Apples routines, they will only get
> you 3:1).

Best case is 1:1 (assuming 5MHz drive).  The MicahDrive AT 20 uses 1:1; while
this is an internal drive with a ROM driver, I've tried it with the driver in
RAM and it still handles large transfers without missing sectors.  The Micah
host adapter is virtually identical to the external SCSI interface in the Plus.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (10688)
Subject: RE: Usenet V2 #57 (Re: Msg 10678)
Date: 22-JUL 11:54 MUGS Online

Didn't you also mention at one time that the MICAH controller has a sector
buffer in it that made it more efficient?

peter

------------------------------

From: NICKDREXEL (10674)
Subject: Alter Ego (male)
Date: 22-JUL 01:17 Bugs & Features

Hi, everybody..

Along with my ACTA, I have got Alter Ego for Male and Dollar & Sense
Version 1.4 (unprotected).  Alter Ego is a great game (one of the best
for Mac), it needs only 128K mac.  It comes with 3 Disks

-  the program application size is 5.5 Kbytes.
-  The rest about 1 Mbytes are 7 scenerios.
-  It simulates and asks neat questions during diff. stages of your life
from the start to the end (dead)
-  Scenarios divide to 1. infant  2. childhood  3. Adolescence
4.  Young Adulthood     5. Adulthood   6.  Middle Adulthood
7.  Old Age
If you like to play role play game like D&D, etc., you should like to play this
game.  And it will take many and many hours of fascination and fun to you and
your close friends.  Every episode will take about an hour, so it will not be
the best game for any party.

It is copy protected and cannot make backup with Copy II mac.
Moreover, it has a funny characteristic that everytime you quit the
program, it will shut- down your macintosh.  The way it shut dow is
like earlier version of waystation which is bad for hard disk user.
Because it will not flush memory or something and make it more
difficult to startup by hard disk (My LoDown-20). This is quite
annoying but there is no easy remedy in sight.  And I don't think that
there will be any upgrade in the future because there is no
registration card from Activision with this game.  Oh well, get a good
game with no support, what can we do.  This is the way that they
choose to do business.

If I find anything more interesting, or I forget sth, I will report later.

NICK...

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10695)
Subject: RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10674)
Date: 22-JUL 22:09 Bugs & Features

You bring up a good point, I'd always hated games that rebooted (makes
them kinda hard to run under Switcher!), but the fact that they don't
eject all mounted volumes first is a very bad thing when you have an
HFS disk!  Having the Mac smile at you while it rebuilds the bit-map
on a 20MB disk is no fun.  I think you should complain to Activision.
And if anyone does "what's hot, what's not," programs like this are
definitely not.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (10693)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #57 (Re: Msg 10665)
Date: 22-JUL 22:09 Network Digests

to:  mazur@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Mazur)
The author is only aware of the problem if miniWRITER crashes only while you're
in the Finder.  If Typestyle works in any other application, then your DeskTop
file contains the (signature) resource PACK 0.  If you delete this (with
ResEdit), Typestyle will work fine.  I'll fix this in the next release.

What's Typestyle do?  Same thing as the Typestyle menu in Acta. Oh, you want a
real answer?  It sets the font, size, and style for _ALL_ the text.

miniWRITER is probably running slow and showing weird characters
because you haven't installed its default font, imageWRITER-10. If you
have the mWRT template that was distributed wih miniWRITER (it may be
in the suitcase file, or else a separate file) you can paste the
template into ResEdit and then set the default font by editing the
mWRT resource (this is explained in the documentation file).

to: JAY HIRSH <HIRSH%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
>Subject:  Problems with fonts under new system files.
Did you remove all the laser fonts before re-installing with F/DAM 3.2?

------------------------------

From: PEABO (347)
Subject: MPW Beta Release
Date:  21-JUL 14:09 Tools for Developers

According to Lynn Termeer of Apple, the Macintosh Programmers'
Workshop will go on sale in mid-August in beta form.  Although it will
not be for sale at the Mac Expo in Boston, there will be plenty of
information available at that time.  She didn't know what the price
would be.

peter

------------------------------

From: MCOHEN (348)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 300)
Date:  21-JUL 22:02 Current Discussions

I like the idea of extensible DAs. For DiskInfo, I would probably add
a file copy function & a file move from one folder to another....
possibly the ability to create folders (as you can probably tell, I
hate going to the finder to do those things - I spend most of my time
in Qued as my primary application). I usually have my WRefCon pointing
to a structure containing function pointers for update, activate,
content click, key, etc. (part of my 'standard' generic application
library I usually use; my current project is an exception, it uses a
'document' structure in the refcon).  - Mike

------------------------------

From: PEABO (349)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 348)
Date:  21-JUL 22:16 Current Discussions

Something which might be very winning is to define a structure for a
code resource extension.  For example, a branch or branch vector at
the beginning of the resource (is it better to have one entry point
with a qualifying argument on the stack or several entry points?) and
some easily decoded static data to describe whether the extension has
any menu items or controls to be added to the DA's menu or to its
dialog box.  The dialog box would have to expand as more buttons were
added (possibly in some regular pattern under the area where your part
of the dialog box ends).  Then when the DA opens, it would look for
extensions and adjust its menu and DITL appropriately.  There would
have to be some kind of way to attach buttons to various states of the
DA (i.e, volume list vs. files list) so you wouldn't have to hard a
time figuring out the dimensions of the box.  Maybe it would be
easiest to put all the buttons and menu items in and then selectively
hilite the ones that are active by calling the extension to ask it
which buttons are OK.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (356)
Subject: RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 349)
Date:  22-JUL 22:11 Current Discussions

How about another resource type with the same ID?  That _would_ allow for
cmd-key equivalents.  I really do prefer that new features go in the menu,
rather than having to mess with adding new controls.  After all, menus can
scroll!  I think all that needs to be known is whether the routine is a volume
or file routine, and a string to put in the menu (with optional /key).

Perhaps since I program in a HLL, I prefer to put one function per code
resource; I think the interface would be simpler. I'm afraid I'll to use Pascal
calling sequence, which is a big pain for code resources.

The code resource is going to have a very limited number of DLOGs and DITLs
available, and we'll have to figure out a way to avoid collision.  I'd hate to
have to arbitrate, but I may have to...the neat thing about this is that a
hacker could assemble his own DA from pieces.

This is getting fun (and I notice interesting enough to post to the nets).  The
only problem is that new modules will probably have to be no-cost (to avoid
confusion); I would suggest that all new functions display the author's name in
a dialog.  If someone has a copy file routine (which would be passed a WDRefNum
and Str63), I'll come up with a more concrete proposal.

------------------------------

From: TRAINBRAIN (350)
Subject: Megamax Bug
Date:  22-JUL 01:42 Current Discussions

The longest bug hunt of my life has ended with the discovery that rev
2.1 of the compiler does not generate correct subscript code.  Problem
shows up with very large arrays.  If the product of the subscript and
the array element size is greater than 2**16, the result are, as they
say, unpredictable.

Quick fix is to define the subsript variable as a long.  That forces correct
code generation.  New version of the compiler (3.0) is due out soon.  May have
it fixed.  I will contact Megamax folk ASAP.

Hope this saves someone some grief.  It was a bitch.

Steve

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10697)
Subject:  SCSI conversions
Date: 22-JUL 22:57 Network Digests

Jeff,

There were some messages on the network digests saying that people had
developed techniques for converting Tecmar and Quark hard disks to
SCSI interface drives.  We'd be very interested in more details on how
it's done

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (10698)
Subject: memory upgrades
Date: 22-JUL 22:59 Bugs & Features

Steve:
What is there about the MaxPlus that makes it worse than a Levco 2MB RAM
upgrade?  Does it draw more power?  I thought that the Levco was fairly
reliable, even in 512K Macs with the weaker power supply components.  I was
also under the impression that most of the SIMM chips were CMOS and drew
less power than the chips in 512K Macs.  What's the scoop?

Ric

End of Delphi Mac Digest