[net.micro.mac] How do I restore MacWrite resources.

rosen@ucla-cs.ARPA (Bruce E Rosen) (07/22/86)

While in Macwrite (4.5) I used the calendar DA. Which for some
reason caused a system crash. When rebooting, I tried to
launch a macwrite document, but couldn't. The info window
of the document said it QDIAL Docs. ( I had just uploaded QDIAL and QDIAL DOC ).
Now every document that was Macwrite is of type QDIAL docs, and Macwrite
creates documents of QDIAL type. I figure that the desk top or
some resource is scrwed up. I have a Macbottom 20, finder 5.3, system 3.2.

Can I recreat the desktop? Should I? How do I? I noticed
there is garbage in my Macwrite document resource STR
which has resource id=700 which is "etnroaisdlhcf".
		Thanks
		Bruce Rosen

oster@ucblapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (07/23/86)

In article <18019@ucla-cs.ARPA> rosen@ucla-cs.ARPA (Bruce E Rosen) writes:
>While in Macwrite (4.5) I used the calendar DA. Which for some
>reason caused a system crash. ...
Calendar is just plain buggy.  It was written in SUMACC C, and uses a
bizarre patch-non-relocatable-addresses-at-load-time scheme.  Since the
Mac moves desk accessories around, IF YOU CALL CALENDAR TWICE IN ONE RUN
OF AN APPLICATION PROGRAM, IT MAY CRASH YOUR MAC.

Now, my advice to bruce:  Your copy of Macwrite 4.5 is now damaged.  You
should replace it with a fresh copy from your back-up disks.

Since this letter deals with a buggy calendar, and since there was a
previous letter this week asking for calendar software, and since the
original author of Calendar doesn't answer his mail, I am taking the
liberty of posting Calendar 1.1 - Calendar 1.1 is my re-implementation of
Calendar.  I believe it to be bug-free.  If there are problems with
Calendar 1.1, I will warn the net, and I will try to fix them.

Notes:
1.) Calendar 1.1 uses the Mac's international package, so that it will
work correctly in countries that don't speak English.  The Mac's
international package does not support years < 1940 > 2004.
Since this is Apple's bug, I want Apple to fix it.  If there is a big
demand for calendar to support any year,  I will fix it.

2.) Calendar 1.1 definately does not have Calendar's fatal bug.
It has been tested on 512k Macs, MacPluss, and on MacXLs.

--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."