[net.micro.mac] Text files -> MacPascal files???

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (08/05/86)

Here is the problem:

We want to convert ordinary text files to Pascal-type files.

Setting the 'Owner' field to 'PASC' is not sufficient.
Pascal apparantly needs more. I've checked the sizes of both the
rsrc and data forks. It appears that the actual data is stored in the
data part (obvious!), but the rsrc part ALSO contains some information,
on which Pascal relies.

So, how can we change a text-only file to a Pascal file??
Copying the rsrc part from one file to another doesn't help.

There should be a trivial solution, so we're probably missing something ... :-)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--

               Frank
                                                                      ___

frankk@mcvax.UUCP (Frank Kuiper) (08/06/86)

In article <1105@mcvax.UUCP> Frank Kuiper <frankk@mcvax.UUCP> writes:

  >We want to convert ordinary text files to Pascal-type files.

  >So, how can we change a text-only file to a Pascal file??
  >
  >There should be a trivial solution, so we're probably
  >missing something ... :-)

We really did miss something.
It appears that the file we want Pascal to read, comes from a CDC machine,
which puts extra \0 characters before every line in the file.
(Don't ask me why, I don't use that system :-))
MacWrite doesn't display those characters either, but they are there,
and you can delete them!

So, after we deleted those \0 characters, Pascal was very happy
with reading the file.

               Frank
                                                                      ___