[net.micro.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #34

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (08/08/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Friday, 8 August 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
     RE: Tempest Mac (Re: Msg 3836)
     RE: Tempest Mac (Re: Msg 11175)
     more on FileMaker
     RE: new hard disk (Re: Msg 11070)
     MacInTouch news flashes
     customizing icon layout - LAYO Phase
     RE: customizing icon layout - LAYO Phase (Re: Msg 11201)
     Screen image stability
     "enumerated" fields in Works and Excel
     Notes on More
     RE: Switcher & My Favorite Development E (Re: Msg 446)
     RE: ZBasic...? (Re: Msg 444)
     Mouse Scaling/RAM Cache help needed
     system dialogs
     9600 baud terminal emulator
     RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11213)
     RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11213)
     RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11353)
     RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11355)
     RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11366)
     RE: ResEdit (Re: Msg 315)
     List Manager LDEF
     Ap][CPM>Mac
     RE: Anaheim Show (Re: Msg 11065)
     RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11206)
     RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11236)
     WordHandler
     RE: WordHandler (Re: Msg 11245)
     RE: WordHandler (Re: Msg 11245)
     nonstandard keyboards
     Cricket Draw
     Re: MacCrash (ROM versions)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #95 (Re: Msg 11210)
     RE: Windows over menu bar?
     RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 10968)
     RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11268)
     RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11275)
     RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11289)
     RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11289)
     RE: LW Cartridge recharging
     RE: LW Cartridge recharging
     RE: TOPS from Centram
     Party Suite at MW Expo!
     Best 'C'?

From: PEABO (11175)
Subject: RE: Tempest Mac (Re: Msg 3836)
Date: 4-AUG-18:59: Hardware & Peripherals

Following up on the info JOSEF gave you last December, I just read the July 28
InfoWorld, and there is an article on page 3 about Tempest Mac.  Falcon
Microsystems is involved, but the manufacturer is Systematics General of Vienna
VA.  JOSEF had mentioned a company called Valutec in Reston..

Anyway, the product is a Mac 512K, 9 pounds heavier than an ordinary Mac, and
the external drive is built in to avoid shielding problems.  Has the old 64K
ROMs.

They mention that Systematics and another unnamed company are working
on Tempest LaserWriters.

Price for the Tempest Mac is $6000, and a Tempest Imagewriter is $3400.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH (11176)
Subject: RE: Tempest Mac (Re: Msg 11175)
Date: 4-AUG-20:09: Hardware & Peripherals

Peter, wow you must be psychic.  I just called them last week.  They wont be
TSQC certified till about oct.  the govt did a quick scan and bought out the
entire first production run.  They hope to have a PLus configuration to ship in
oct, which contr adicts the article in info world.  thanks for thinking of me
jim

------------------------------

From: JIMWEINRICH (11196)
Subject: more on FileMaker
Date: 5-AUG-01:24: Business Mac

Here's more exciting info on FileMaker.... At the MacWorld Expo they wlil ship
FileMaker Plus, which judging from the specs seems to fix ALL of FileMaker's
problems and then some.  It looks like a really hot product.  Check it out! --
Jim

------------------------------

From: JOSEF (11197)
Subject: RE: new hard disk (Re: Msg 11070)
Date: 5-AUG-02:25: Hardware & Peripherals

I've had my DataFrame 20 for about a month now and am extemely pleased
with it so far.  I was particularly impressed with the ease of setup:
just plug it in, connect the cable to your SCSI port and you're off!
It comes with the current system(3.2) and finder(5.3) already
installed, as well as a number of other odds and ends.

I have noticed a couple of strange quirks, tho. One is that I
occaisionally have to cycle the power switch twice before the drive
will spin up. I took it back in but they were unable to reproduce the
problem. It also seems like the first time I run an application that I
just copied onto the DF20, it will take unusually long to start up.
But other than that it's performed flawlessly. My only doubts about it
at this point are that I will soon run out of space!

Joe

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11200)
Subject: MacInTouch news flashes
Date: 5-AUG-16:02: Mousing Around

General Computer will announce the HyperDrive 20MX at the Boston
expo for shipment the following week.  It's an external SCSI drive
for $1199 with LaserWriter Print Spooling!

Also included is backup and security software.
Microsoft is shipping Excel, Word, File, Multiplan and Chart on
800K disks now.  Flight Sim., Logo, Basic, and Fortran will still
be sold on 400K disks.
Apple is buying at least 1000 copies of the InBox electronic mail
system from Think Technologies under a site-license agreement.
Del Yocum has been appointed Chief Operating Officer of Apple
Computer, Inc., responsible for day-to-day operations, while
Sculley concentrates on longer-range planning.
Mac Charlie is now available for the Mac Plus, and prices of both
versions have been cut to $795 in the one-disk/256K configuration.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11201)
Subject: customizing icon layout - LAYO Phase
Date: 5-AUG-16:14: Mousing Around

I wasn't having much luck with the Phase option in the Finder's new
LAYO resource - trying to get it to stagger icons so their names don't
overlap. It turns out that Phase is measured in pixels, not in degrees
(silly me). A Phase of 8 or 12 gives a nice stagger.  It doesn't seem
to work with small icon views, only regular icon views.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11312)
Subject: RE: customizing icon layout - LAYO Phase (Re: Msg 11201)
Date: 7-AUG-03:25: Mousing Around

Under no circumstances make phase 1/2 of the spacing...a fascist cleanup will
crash if you do.  (At least it did in earlier Finders.)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11202)
Subject: Screen image stability
Date: 5-AUG-16:17: Hardware & Peripherals

A little tip from a human factors guy has made quite a difference to me: if you
turn down the intensity of the Mac video screen, the apparent flickering
decreases.  (The screen also lasts longer.)  Different people see at different
rates, so flicker bothers some more than others.  It can be especially bad with
CRT screens when flourescent lights are used and they beat against the screen
refresh rate.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11203)
Subject: "enumerated" fields in Works and Excel
Date: 5-AUG-16:45: Business Mac

Jan, I'm addressing this to you, but hoping that a number of other
people will read it, too.  Is there any support for "enumerated"
fields in Works or in Excel?  (Two quick-and-dirty data managers).
What I'm thinking of is a field like "TYPE" where you want the values
restricted to a small set, such as "BUS.,HOME,SCHOOL" A basic database
function, but one which seems to be missing from most programs.  (Yes,
I'm anxious to get a copy of dBase Mac ...)

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11209)
Subject: Notes on More
Date: 5-AUG-19:35: Business Mac

Some thoughts on Living Videotext's new "More" product:

It's possible to open Acta files with it if the Acta files are saved as
text.  Some manual clean-up will be required if the Acta topics have
embedded Return characters.

Going from More to Acta should be possible via the ThinkTank export
format of More and the Acta Convert utility.

There's no Undo, a real annoyance.

The price and lack of copy protection are probably going to encourage
pirating among people who don't have a lot of money.

More is not simple, but seems quite flexible with good use of the Mac
interface.

There are some interesting functions which give a great deal of
power for organizing data.  The clone function means
that you can organize in _multiple_ heirarchies at once, that is, look
at your data in more than one rigid way.
   Another export function, which uses tabs, makes a lot of sense when you
import the file into Excel.  In Excel, if you use the Copy Down function
with the data, you can quickly create a (relational) database out of it,
with no structural compromises.

"More" notes later,

Ric

------------------------------

From: MER (471)
Subject: RE: Switcher & My Favorite Development E (Re: Msg 446)
Date:  4-AUG-20:39: Programming Techniques

Yes, LSC *does* run under switcher.  You must configure it with a reasonable
amount of memory (512k ought to be enough) and make it permanent.  Temporary
won't do it.  I'm running Versaterm and LSC under switcher Right Now with no
problems.  And it's 5.0 switcher, too.

------------------------------

From: ELEL (478)
Subject: RE: ZBasic...? (Re: Msg 444)
Date:  4-AUG-22:45: Programming Techniques

Well, It _does_ make a standalone application. It takes 35K for a
hello world program, but past that it's not too bad. Needs a dead-code
stripper. Did a Macuser review on it, and was favorably impressed. It
dont do dynamic strings like yinterpreted MS-Basic,though. --Larry

------------------------------

From: RAYMONDLAU (487)
Subject: Mouse Scaling/RAM Cache help needed
Date:  5-AUG-19:13: Developers' Corner

While trying to implement a Control Panel type application, I've ran
into a problem.  Modifying Parameter RAM is easy enough, but I've
found that the system doesn't use the copy of Parameter RAM directly
with some things. Instead it seems to use a copy of the individual
values stored somewhere. For example: o Double Click speed uses global
var DoubleTime. o Caret-Blink uses global var CaretTime o Key repeat
rate uses global var KeyRepThresh o Delay until repeat uses global var
KeyThresh I'd like to know where are these copies, which the system
uses for: o Mouse scaling (No idea...help needed) o Cache (or does the
system use the copy of Parameter RAM?)  Thanks, -Ray

------------------------------

From: SOLARPULSE (488)
Subject: system dialogs
Date:  5-AUG-19:31: Programming Techniques

Does anyone know how to hilite or unhilite buttons, etc. in the standard system
dialogs, for example, I would like to unhilite draft radio button in the
PrJobDialog for the ImageWriter.  I've seen it done, but how?

------------------------------

From: JEFFS (11213)
Subject: 9600 baud terminal emulator
Date: 5-AUG-21:08: Telecommunicating

I need a terminal program that emulates a VT100 running at 9600 baud with NO
flow control.  Seems both MacTerminal and VersaTerm can't keep up at 9600 baud
(in Emacs with lots of insert/deletes of chars/lines) without sending ^S/^Q's
(which are legal commands in Emacs.)  MacTerm has no problems at 4800 baud but
I'd really like to have 9600 (I suppose I can forget 19.2 :-( )

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: JIMH (11214)
Subject: RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11213)
Date: 5-AUG-21:25: Telecommunicating

Jeff, there was an article this week in info world where they quoted
someone from some southern calif. supercomputer center that was using
the prodigy as a front end to the cray/xmp and they said that it was
the only micro that could keep up at 19,20 0 however i guess you said
9600 baud didnt ya.  well forget i sait it them (grin).  actually i
think it would be real hard to do 9600 baud on a mac and write to the
screen.  RR allos 9600 baud but actually only takes data at 4800 i
belive. jim

------------------------------

From: YVES (11215)
Date: 5-AUG-21:56: Telecommunicating

Well, it's your lucky day!!!!!!! MAINSTAY is just coming out this week with
their new Telescape pro VT100. It is a program written especially for mainframe
connections and is able to keep up at 19200 baud without handshaking. It has 40
on-screen soft-keys and multiple set-ups. Just call them at (818) 991-6540 and
ask for Tom Nalevanko. They are now working on Telescape Pro IBM 3101. -- Yves
Lempereur [YVES]

------------------------------

From: YVES (11355)
Subject: RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11353)
Date: 7-AUG-21:14: Telecommunicating

Jim, I indeed write directly to the screen with a VERY optimized routine. This
allows me to keep up with baud rates up to 19200 on a standard Mac. The current
version of TS Pro VT100 will work with a 512K, an upgraded or a Mac+. It will
not work with a Lisa or MegaScreen. -- Yves

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11366)
Subject: RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11355)
Date: 7-AUG-21:42: Telecommunicating

I thought you said it _would_ work with non-standard screens.  Considering what
Apple probably has planned, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11381)
Subject: RE: 9600 baud terminal emulator (Re: Msg 11366)
Date: 7-AUG-22:16: Telecommunicating

Anyway, if you have the address to the bitmap and its width (which are
easy to get) wouldn't it be easy to be compatible with the big
screens?  Or is their method of interface not as straightforward as
simply putting a new screen memory somewhere ...?

peter

------------------------------

From: RJWM (489)
Subject: RE: ResEdit (Re: Msg 315)
Date:  5-AUG-21:38: Developers' Corner

Regarding my ResEdit problem. It went away when I made more space
available on the hard disk drawer-- there wasn't enough room for the
backup and modified copies to co-exist. The ManxC does let you create
large CODE resources but as you indicated these are problematic.  To
get around the 32K limit ManxC jsr's to a table to get the address.
Under some conditions such jumps can lead to stray pointers resulting
in mouse hemi-paralysis or a mild or severe (especially on exit) ID2
crash. Regards, Richard

------------------------------

From: RJWM (490)
Subject: List Manager LDEF
Date:  5-AUG-21:50: Developers' Corner

Does anyone know how the default LDEF takes care of highlighting of cells or of
a listing of the Pascal code for the default LDEF?  Making sure that only one
cell is highlighted is not as straightforward as Mike Schuster's code for an
icon list would suggest in the case of more complex arrays. I have a terrible
hack that does the trick but there must be a cleaner way. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: MUSICWORKS (11216)
Subject: Ap][CPM>Mac
Date: 5-AUG-22:05: Creative Pursuits

I've been working on a project using Omnis3 Plus a prescription filing
system on the mac. Originally I wrote the program under dBase ][ on
the apple ][ and my client already have like 7Mbytes worth of data on
his apple ][. So... I have to transfer all his data to the Mac...
sounds easy enough...

unfortunately he is using a Corvus Omninet for the Apple ][ hardisk... and
Corvus's CP/M is not quite standard .. ALOT if not all communication program
that's availble is not compatible with it... I've tried Move-it, Z-Term etc....
none of them will work

After fidling around with them for quite sometime I found a solution
which is pretty simple really.. since I already have the data
converted into TEXT file it will be easy to print this file just by
typing

A>filename.ext<Ctrl-P> <Return>

now I plugged a super Serial card set it @ 9600 baud 8Data Bit No Parity
Comunication Mode (The Jumper) and use the Mac 512K to Imagewriter 1 Cable Hook
it up to the Mac with Macterminal on

Fooling the computer that actually it's printing the file to a printer but
instead it will send the data to the Macterminal... and the rest is just
histiry.. I meant History...

I do though have to write a small program on dBase ][ to convert the dbase ][
file into text in a "Delimited" file (just like MS-Word's Mailing File) because
by juts using the command . Copy to filename SDF will not work, since it's not
quite anything (like DIF/SYLK/Delimited/TAB, which Omnis 3 recognice...)

I will get into this subject upon request...

oh by the way I did the same Idea from Appleworks to Mac.... Just by using the
same SuperSerial card, you can set up in the apple works that you have a
"Phantom Printer" which actually will print to the mac and you can print from
any of the three program

Note: In spreadsheet you might have to do it Column by column since
it will not TAB you fields...

Jundi

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11234)
Subject: RE: Anaheim Show (Re: Msg 11065)
Date: 6-AUG-01:39: Mousing Around

I'D LIKE TO throw my two bits in about the show too. I think that over
all it was a nice small show. Slow but steady. The only major software
company there was proVue, the makers of overvue.. As David says, the
Mouseketeer t-shirt could have sold 100's. BMUG did very well and ran
out of Spring 86 newsletters 1 o'clock saturday. Habaword looks very
nice but I think lots of people are going to be disappointed when it
does come out. Mouseketeers newsletters were gone by Friday afternoon.
The LA area has quite a few user groups the largest being LAMG and
SDMUG. And lots of small groups. In fact, two of the guys at the expo
had started between the 6 mac groups. Really!! They'd quit or get
expelled and then start a new one. there were lots of SCSI drives
ranging from 800$ 30 meg drivew to 896 internal drives. Most of them
seemed to be ok. check out the Fall 86 newsletter to see how good they
are. I almost made it though all three days without the Moose getting
me with one of those little adds but it nabbed me on the last day
around 3 0 clock.

I did get confirmed that the next Mac will be dealyed for 3 months and won't be
out till March of next year.................

Anyway, it was nice show in spite of itself. Go to the next one if you have the
chance.

Steve Costa/BMUG

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11236)
Subject: RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11206)
Date: 6-AUG-01:51: Hardware & Peripherals

yes, I've heard the you will be able to upgrade your Micah to 30 megs will just
a chip change....They also has two external drives in the works...

Steve Costa/BMUG

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (11301)
Subject: RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11236)
Date: 7-AUG-03:02: Hardware & Peripherals

Upgrade to 30MB with "just a chip change"?  Gee, I doubt it...

------------------------------

From: JOSEF (11245)
Subject: WordHandler
Date: 6-AUG-03:31: Business Mac

Has anyone out there had a chance to try out WordHandler, from ALS?  Seems like
for $29.95 you can hardly go wrong, but I've alrady spent mucho $$ on software
that I never use. On the other hand, there are some things I really hate about
MacWrite.

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11296)
Subject: RE: WordHandler (Re: Msg 11245)
Date: 7-AUG-02:30: Business Mac

Hmmmm, it will do somethings that you'll really hate. The thing I
don't like about is, is that it doesn't support the clipboard...Tha's
right. You can't drag things if from the scrapbook or other
programs..They say that this will be fixed at the next release and
they they are a good company for Apple // software so they might
really fix the many small things that make it worth all 29.95...

Steve Costa/BMUG

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11371)
Date: 7-AUG-21:47: Business Mac

From what I've seen and heard about Word Handler, your _stamp_ would be wasted
mailing them the $.  They wanted Andy Hertzfeld to endorse it, and he refused
(while giving them oodles of suggestions on how to fix it). It is the only
program I know of that's incompatible with Acta (since it doesn't communicate
with _anything_, clipboard or any DA).

------------------------------

From: LORDCORP (11248)
Subject: nonstandard keyboards
Date: 6-AUG-14:40: Telecommunicating

Does anyone out there know how to define a non-standard keyboard to
MacTerminal?

We have about 20 Macs that regularly access a VAX.  The keys as they
are defined in Macterminal are a paint to use with the DEC editors.
If you press these keys, you get a "+", "*', "/" or ",".  But if you
hold down the cloverleaf key and press these keys, you get left,
right, up and down arrow keys.  What we want to do is "flip" the
functions of the "+","*","/" and "," keys so that you get the arrow
functions as the default.

We've been hacking around with the KICI and KICH resources in Macterminal.  But
it looks like the keypad keys are being trapped to somewhere else in the
MacTerminal code.

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE (11249)
Subject: Cricket Draw
Date: 6-AUG-16:33: Business Mac

One other product we just heard about is Cricket Draw, from the makers of
Cricket Graph. Cricket Draw is expressly designed for the LaserWriter and
functions similarly to MacDraw, except that it contains a second window
on-screen that translates your objects into PostScript code.  It looks like a
pretty slick product, though it probably won't be available until later this
year.  It should be announced at the Expo, though.

Rick LePage MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (11300)
Subject: Re: MacCrash (ROM versions)
Date: 7-AUG-03:02: MUGS Online

To: west@bnrmtv.UUCP (Andrew West)
Subject: MacCrash (ROM versions)

> Does any body know if the ROMs are the [cause of application crashes].
> Are the version 1 ROMs (which I assume are an earlier version) buggy?

The only difference between the earliest and latest 128K ROMs is two bytes of
code having to do with booting (and a checksum byte); look elsewhere for the
problem.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11307)
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #95 (Re: Msg 11210)
Date: 7-AUG-03:23: Network Digests

>From: Roy Leban <roy%farg.umich.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>Subject: Removing System Resources
More important than Word, Finder uses .Print for its printing.  I
found it a bad idea to remove both FONT 0 and 12; I left 0 in.

>Subject: Imagewriter 2.3 features - Rolodex & Mailing labels
My ImageWrite 2.3 doesn't have those features...I suspect someone modified it
before giving it to you (hmm, maybe there _is_ logic behind Apple's fascist
agreement?).  If those are in Page Setup, you'd use them just like other paper
size buttons.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11308)
Subject: RE: Windows over menu bar?
Date: 7-AUG-03:23: Network Digests

>From: sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor)
>Subject: Windows over menu bar?
The window manager port's clipRgn is what you want to change...if you really
want to change it.  From a user interface point of view, the menu bar is best
left unobscured.  But if you insist, try GetWMgrPort(), do a SetPort(), then a
ClipRect().

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11268)
Subject: RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 10968)
Date: 7-AUG-00:00: Hardware & Peripherals

I've also heard rumor that they will have a DataFrame mod (Hardware?
SOftware?)  that will support tags (makes file recovery much easier,
but slows things down somewhat) (the HD20 is the only other drive out
now supporting tags) (other than floppy disks) at MW Expo.  They
offered a good deal to exhibitors: they will loan them 1 or more
DataFrames to use during the show.

-- Raines Cohen
SYSOP, BMUG BBS

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11275)
Subject: RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11268)
Date: 7-AUG-00:06: Hardware & Peripherals

A rumor which passed back and forth at the BCS MacTechGrp meeting tonight is
that Apple is about to alpha test an HFS file recovery program FOR DISKS THAT
SUPPORT TAGS.

peter

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11289)
Subject: RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11275)
Date: 7-AUG-00:52: Hardware & Peripherals

There is a file recovery program for disks that support tags.  It is called
FEDIT.

-- Raines / BMUG

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11293)
Subject: RE: Mac Expo Hard Disks (Re: Msg 11289)
Date: 7-AUG-01:35: Hardware & Peripherals

Great, but it doesn't work on HD-20's (yet).  I am referring to Fedit
Plus 1.0.4 of course.

peter

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (11333)
Date: 7-AUG-18:39: Hardware & Peripherals

But fedit and fedit plus do not recover disks that are hfs formatted.

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11280)
Subject: RE: LW Cartridge recharging
Date: 7-AUG-00:20: Programming

Jim -

I've heard some not so good things about using recharged cartridges.  I've
heard of some that are VERY NOISY when recharged, enough to make you worry
about damage to the LW.  We don't feel like risking our $7000 machine for
a few dollars... the developer's price on toner cartridges ain't bad.

-- Raines / BMUG

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (11358)
Date: 7-AUG-21:22: Programming

I suppose that some folks would do the cartridge recharge route to save
a couple of bucks.  I was previously very happy with the output from my
Laserwriter, using regular Apple carts.  But after seeing the drastically
improved (much darker!) output from Ray's recharges, I'm more than willing
to switch.

I've heard from many sources that 5 charges per cart is possible, but 3 is
a more reliable (and probably safer) number.

Alf

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11284)
Subject: RE: TOPS from Centram
Date: 7-AUG-00:37: Network Digests

To: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: TOPS from Centram

Jon -

BMUG's been trying out TOPS a bit, and we really like it.  We've tried out
the PC end, too, and it REALLY is transparent!  (using it on a PC is just
as hard as using anything else on a PC!)  We copied virtually all the files
on an HD20 onto our Sperry IT's (well, not ours, but don't tell anybody)
Hard disk, and all seemed to work well, except that the PC truncates file-
names (they handle this nicely but not perfectly with TOPS) to just a
few characters.

I ran NETCHECK (from Apple) while TOPS was running, and found out a bit
about their copy-protection scheme.  I'll tell you this much: their
copy-protection is tied into the very essence of the way AppleTalk's NBP
works, so it might be VERY DIFFICULT to change from that end.  On the
other hand, some people tell me that any serial number is easily
findable and changeable.

-- Raines / BMUG

P.S. I've heard that Centram Systems West will be sharing FARALLON COMPUTING's
     booth at MW Expo in Boston.  Stop by to check 'em out!

------------------------------

From: BMUG (11363)
Subject: Party Suite at MW Expo!
Date: 7-AUG-21:29: SIG Business

ALL ARE INVITED to the hot spot during the evenings of MacWorld Expo
next week: The BMUG/ICONtact/MacroMind/Macintouch/Farallon Computing
suite!  Located at the luxurious Meridien hotel (250 Franklin St. in
downtown Boston), you can find the fun people from ALL of the above
companies (as well as surprise guests) at our Loft Suite.  Exact Room
# not yet known, but details are en route.

One of the nights, MacroMind will be throwing a big party... they haven't told
me which one yet.  Hold on to your hats!

Of course, ICONtact will be there, in CO, online.  We'll post info as soon as
the times are confirmed.  Either be there or be here, in CO, to get the latest
goop on what's REALLY hot at the show!

-- Raines Cohen, Team BMUG

[ Yours truly will be there - Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: SYNTHONY (11385)
Subject: Best 'C'?
Date: 7-AUG-23:42: Public Domain

I must purchase a C language Comp. for a proposed project and would
like to know which version is the most powerful, quickest, whatever.
Any comments would be appreciated, thank you.

Bill SYNTHONY

End of Delphi Mac Digest