[net.micro.mac] Mac HardDisks

baxter@uab.UUCP (07/25/86)

What experience have you had with SCSI hard disks for the Mac +?  Does
anyone have any information about when Apple will release an SCSI drive?

Jerrel Baxter
University of Alabama at Birmingham
School of Optometry
Birmingham, AL 35294

205/934-2822

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (08/06/86)

In article <6@uab.CSNET>, baxter@uab.UUCP writes:
> What experience have you had with SCSI hard disks for the Mac +?  Does
> anyone have any information about when Apple will release an SCSI drive?

On Friday 8/1 I bought a Plus-30 hard disk from Peak Systems.
If I understand it correctly, it's a Micropolis spindle, in
a box about the size of an HD-20.

The Peak people say they made a file server (Servant?) before they sold
the rights to Reach Technology.  Both are located in Austin, TX.

The Plus-30 was one of 2 30mb disks advertised to developers in Outside
Macintosh recently.  It doesn't look too bad, it's a little deeper than
the Mac (a problem on my desk), and was priced reasonably, but not
cheaply (about $200 more than a DataFrame 20, developer prices).

I've loaded up about 12mb, mostly applications, fonts, etc.  I have
MPW C and Pascal, Lightspeed C, MS-Basic, Write, Paint, ResEdit,
etc.  Not much point in putting TML or Megamax on, since they
haven't sent me info yet (!) on their HFS-compatible versions.

The disk is VERY fast, which I guess puts it in the same class as
most SCSI drives, and not with the HD-20.  (I can't speak for
the Hyperdrive, as I've done no side-by-side benchmarks).  It
came pre-formatted and I booted off that system (3.2) & finder
(5.3) and am using it today.

It comes with some software, to park the heads and allow you to
backup a file > 800kb onto floppies.  Other than that, the
software doesn't seem to have much value.

They also sell a 45mb and 65mb.  They automatically park the heads.
And, they supposedly have a quieter fan.  This fan is REAL noisy,
as noisy as any IBM AT.

I'm willing to accept that trade-off, though, because almost every
30mb hard disk I've seen is noisy, and if, in order to get a good
deal, I have to settle for average noisiness, that's the breaks.

SUMMARY: It works so far, and I'm almost to the point where I
wonder how I got by without it.
--
	Joel West
	Western Software Technology, PO Box 2733, Vista, CA  92083

west@bnrmtv.UUCP (Andrew West) (08/12/86)

I am hoping to get some input (a general posting might be best since I am
sure that others may be interested) as to what external SCSI hard drives
Mac users may own and/or recommend.  I am especially interested in
information regarding reliability, speed, software compatibility, noise
(either from the heads or from a fan, if it has one), price and company
support.

To start of the discussion, I have listed some of the ones I have been
looking at or have at least heard about are (with the lowest prices I have
seen to date) :

1)  MD Ideas  -  HD 20 and HD 30 (fan, horizonatal design)
				   ~$840 for 20 Meg, $1100 for 30 Meg
2)  Lowdown 20 (no fan, horizontal design, gets pretty hot)
				   ~$830
3)  DataFrame 20  (no fan, vertical design)
				   ~$830
4)  ProAPP (horizonal design, fan?, SCSI, Mac512 or Apple II compatible)
				   ~$800 for 10 Meg, $1000 for 20 Meg
5)  AST-4000 (horizontal design, fan?, 74 Meg+, built in 60 Meg tape)
				   ~$ ??? but high
6)  Bernoulli Box (SCSI?? fan?)
				   ~$ ???
7)  Mirro Technologies MagNet20x (horizontal, included MacServe software)
				   ~$ ???
8)  Warp Nine Photon 20 (horizontal, fan?)
				   ~$800

Thanks for any information or advice.
--

				  - Andrew West -

       This is a test of the emergency BBS system.         |
   If this had been an actual emergency, you would have    |
     been told which computer system to log in to for      |
		  insufficient data....                    |

dlt@csun.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (08/14/86)

In article <624@bnrmtv.UUCP>, west@bnrmtv.UUCP (Andrew West) writes:

> I am hoping to get some input (a general posting might be best since I am
> sure that others may be interested) as to what external SCSI hard drives
See the September issue of MacWorld.  I've only glanced at the article, but
they do seem to attempt comparison of several SCSI drives for the Mac.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790